• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest vs. LSU Game Thread - Tues. 7PM ESPNU

Ayo

What up, Bird?
Reaction score
Wake opens as a 5.5 point underdog.

Last edited:
Simmons O/U: 27.5 points.
Go.

I've got over. We'll be seeing Simmons highlights with Wake players getting burnt from now until the NBA draft.

I'm going under for Simmons. Think Danny will have a game plan for him and his bigs ready. Shut Simmons down and we cruise.

I'm going under for Simmons. Think Danny will have a game plan for him and his bigs ready. Shut Simmons down and we cruise.

Tim Quarterman is pretty damn good, too. We really need to watch out for his versatility on offense. Blakeney (the other McDonald's All-American) has been inconsistent so far, but he's another candidate to light us up if we manage to limit Simmons.

LSU is having a weird season, but they have some serious talent.

Tim Quarterman is pretty damn good, too. We really need to watch out for his versatility on offense. Blakeney (the other McDonald's All-American) has been inconsistent so far, but he's another candidate to light us up if we manage to limit Simmons.

LSU is having a weird season, but they have some serious talent.
Another thing to note is Keith Hornsby (senior guard averaging 17.3 PPG) and Craig Victor (top-50 transfer from Arizona) have just recently come back from injury/transfer and didn't play in some of LSU's earlier losses.

Scouting report from having played them in the tournament last season and early this season:

They are horribly coached and Simmons is a weird player on a weird team. He scored 4 points on 1-6 shooting and 2-5 from the free throw line against Gott's notoriously lax defense with terrible help rotations. Weird. Had 14 rebounds and 10 assists. That being said, their coach makes me appreciate Gottfried. While he doesn't maximize our talent, especially during the regular season, LSU's guy is a reminder that some guys can completely squander solid talent

I'd be mildly surprised if you don't win, and I don't think it'd be a good sign on Manning if Wake were to lose, barring Simmons magically learning how to shoot and dropping 40 on you.

Scouting report from having played them in the tournament last season and early this season:

They are horribly coached and Simmons is a weird player on a weird team. He scored 4 points on 1-6 shooting and 2-5 from the free throw line against Gott's notoriously lax defense with terrible help rotations. Weird. Had 14 rebounds and 10 assists. That being said, their coach makes me appreciate Gottfried. While he doesn't maximize our talent, especially during the regular season, LSU's guy is a reminder that some guys can completely squander solid talent

I'd be mildly surprised if you don't win, and I don't think it'd be a good sign on Manning if Wake were to lose, barring Simmons magically learning how to shoot and dropping 40 on you.
You'd be mildly surprised if Wake Forest doesn't win a road game?

As pointed out above, they added two players that didn't play during the NCSU game, one being a top 50 player, the other a 15 point scoring transfer.

Wake is an underdog in this game, and probably a bigger one than the stats would indicate given the player additions.

I would be pretty surprised if we did win. Agree with you that Jones is an awful in-game coach.

I see they are doing a great job hyping up the game on Facebook. This is the picture they have with the following post: GAMEDAY! Wake Forest Basketball visits LSU tonight at 7 p.m on ESPNU. #GoDeacs

535241_10153995810099238_2394481826011840342_n.jpg

Here is the KP scouting report on LSU:

0-2 against top 100 teams with 81-80 loss to #82 Marquette and a 82-73 OT loss to State. Both those losses came on back to back days on neutral court back before Thanksgiving. LSU has also lost to #132 Houston and #139 College of Charleston. Their best win is over #142 North Florida (the score was 119-108 in that game). They have played a week schedule so far (#309), and they have not played a top 100 team since November. They also have lost every close game that they have played (0-2 in OT; 1 point loss to Marquette; every win has been by 11+).

LSU doesn't turn the ball over much on O (#23), and their 2 point FG % is good (54% #36). They are a poor FT shooting team (65%), and below average from 3 point land (33%). On defense, LSU does force a lot of turnovers (20 per game), but they do not defend the 3 very well (teams shoot 36% from 3 against them). Like WF, they are a big team as each team has essentially the same effective height.

BTW, LSU does not have much of a home court advantage as they had a better SEC record on the road last year than at home.

A good team would win this game. LSU had played poorly in close game (WF has played well in close games), and LSU has not played a legit opponent in weeks. Also, the crowd will be disinterested as the LSU football team plays in the Texas Bowl tonight at 9 pm. Like WF's chances here.

81-68 LSU. They're better than we think (especially with most of their guys back now) and we have no way to stop Ben Simmons at all.

Money coming in on LSU. Line up to 7 most places.

I have no confidence in us on the road. I think Richmond last year is our only top 100 road win since Bz took over.

Last edited:
Back