• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

Really hard to see the motivation from a personal gain standpoint. What was Elrod's endgame? Try to sabotage Clawson into getting fired, and maybe he could come on with the new coach? Hope his buddies would put in enough good words for him to get him hired somewhere else?

Obviously, if money was involved or it was a gambling issue, then things become much simpler. But absent of that, it really just sounds like a psychotic revenge scheme.

BareFickleApisdorsatalaboriosa.gif

Temple's library had a fire a few years ago. Twenty homeless people were displaced as were forty crack dealers. Luckily, only a few Speak and Spells were lost.

Okay, I think I may have figured out this angle from the donald ross perspective. What could have possibly motivated Elrod to betray Wake Forest, or allow himself to be framed as the perpetrator here? Clearly, our barrister friend suspects blackmail. Likely, a phalanx of evil-minded hackers (my money is on those nefarious ne'er-do-wells from Georgia Tech) were forcing Elrod to share top secret plays with former colleagues at other colleges. If he did not follow these instructions, a horrible secret that Elrod has been trying to hide will be revealed, or someone he cares about will suffer some horrible fate at the hands of Reggie Ball (who is also only following instructions of these malicious technologists).

Also, I watch a lot of Black Mirror.

What Donald Ross does have correct in his article in the paper is: what corporation in the country, after firing somebody, allows them back with full access to every little secret you are doing in your business? NOBODY! If that were BB & T here in Winston-Salem and they fired an executive, they would come into his office with security, take his computer and make him leave at that time with no more access to the property. So, given those parameters, why was a dismissed football coach who was then hired back as nothing more than regular media given more than general media access at most? Why was a fired person allowed back on the grounds and given full privileges into the sacred grounds of coaches meetings with all the plays? No other regular business would do that in the world?

He wasn't fired for anything he did. It was simply a change of management in his department. The fact that no one in the current staff or the university objected to his being the color broadcaster shows it's not a typical "firing". Color guys get access. That's part of their job. Thus, Reff's post is without any context.

However, if anyone knew of the depth or his bitterness or that it continued, he had no business being the color guy.

What Donald Ross does have correct in his article in the paper is: what corporation in the country, after firing somebody, allows them back with full access to every little secret you are doing in your business? NOBODY! If that were BB & T here in Winston-Salem and they fired an executive, they would come into his office with security, take his computer and make him leave at that time with no more access to the property. So, given those parameters, why was a dismissed football coach who was then hired back as nothing more than regular media given more than general media access at most? Why was a fired person allowed back on the grounds and given full privileges into the sacred grounds of coaches meetings with all the plays? No other regular business would do that in the world?

I mean he went to school here, made his home here, was a part of the Wake Forest family.

Were Clawson and Wellman naive? Apparently so given the outcome, but they treated Elrod with respect and did everything they could to keep him as a member of the Wake family. Elrod took that trust and threw it back in their faces for short-term gains for his former co-workers at Wake.

That's messed up.

Caldwell was asked about Tommy Elrod today in his Lions press conference - Jim said he has kept in touch with Elrod (who "played" for Jim at Wake) but has not heard from him since the scandal broke.

Haven't seen this tidbit on here.

From Dan Collins blog: "Jim Dunn, the CEO of Verger, told me this morning that Elrod resigned voluntarily on Monday. The bombshell from Wellman and Clawson landed the next day."

LINK

Caldwell was asked about Tommy Elrod today in his Lions press conference - Jim said he has kept in touch with Elrod (who "played" for Jim at Wake) but has not heard from him since the scandal broke.

Caldwell was the biggest joke of a head coach at the college level anyone has ever seen.

This is complete bullshit. Elrod wasn't truly fired. He got what amounted to a lateral move within the same organization. He was given two new jobs with great responsibility. He was a trusted Wake Forest Alum who never gave any signal that he was bat shit crazy. Wake got blind sided pure and simple. Now we have the fallout.

I mean he went to school here, made his home here, was a part of the Wake Forest family.

Were Clawson and Wellman naive? Apparently so given the outcome, but they treated Elrod with respect and did everything they could to keep him as a member of the Wake family. Elrod took that trust and threw it back in their faces for short-term gains for his former co-workers at Wake.

That's messed up.

Wake has the opportunity to set itself apart from others by being a "family" in a way that much larger universities cannot. Hopefully this abuse of that treasure will not result in a self-protecting policy of limited access to those who are proven members of the family.

Such trust always creates the possibility of abuse; but the loss of "family atmosphere" would be the loss of a quality that makes Wake uniquely attractive.

That's messed up.

How many other members of the family get two jobs and unlimited access to the football program? If a former player showed up during practice, he would just get access to the week's game plan?

How many other members of the family get two jobs and unlimited access to the football program? If a former player showed up during practice, he would just get access to the week's game plan?

I am certain that's not how it works, but he was the color commentator for us and I assume had a good relationship with the folks in our program.

It was a mistake and now Clawson and Wellman know better.

One of those jobs necessitated such access - there have been several references on this thread to football pundits that have confirmed this is absolutely typical.

I am certain that's not how it works, but he was the color commentator for us and I assume had a good relationship with the folks in our program.

It was a mistake and now Clawson and Wellman know better.

It wasn't a mistake. Complete freakish outlier. Hindsight is easy. I'd give the next Wake Alum who was the color guy the same access.

Back