• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf 2024 - Women finish 9th and Men 16th

Propose a better solution. For practice rounds and an extra day for rain, the golf course needs to be reserved for a minimum of 5 days.

You can’t have every potential tournament team reserving its golf course for a week in case they are a top seed. 5 teams advance. If you can’t finish in the top 5 in an 12 team regional when at least 4 of those teams have no shot, you aren’t worthy of making the NCAA Championship.

FWIW, WF is smart and hosting a women’s regional next year when the team may not be as strong and needs every edge. Don’t want any opposing teams whining about that next season

The NCAA golf regionals are historically really good at getting the best 30 teams, and scary excellent at getting the top 20 teams, to the final. Home course does not seem to impact performance that much.

And I don't see this as a bigger advantage than the NCAA Women's basketball tournament or other smaller sports (essentially all of them) where teams get home court.

They earn that homecourt but I don't see a better way to do it anyways.

They earn that homecourt but I don't see a better way to do it anyways.
Sometimes. Field hockey is played on campus sites determined in advance. So is (sometimes) women’s soccer. So is cross country. So is track. I feel like UConn has hosted regionals in women’s basketball that it did not earn.

Propose a better solution. For practice rounds and an extra day for rain, the golf course needs to be reserved for a minimum of 5 days.

You can’t have every potential tournament team reserving its golf course for a week in case they are a top seed. 5 teams advance. If you can’t finish in the top 5 in an 12 team regional when at least 4 of those teams have no shot, you aren’t worthy of making the NCAA Championship.
100% correct. This isn't like a university-owned baseball stadium.

The NCAA golf regionals are historically really good at getting the best 30 teams, and scary excellent at getting the top 20 teams, to the final. Home course does not seem to impact performance that much.

And I don't see this as a bigger advantage than the NCAA Women's basketball tournament or other smaller sports (essentially all of them) where teams get home court.
My original point wasn't specifically complaining about this week. If Wake doesn't advance, it is on them. It was more of an observation that each golf course is so different that it seems like it would be a tremendous advantage to play at home compared to other sports. In virtually every other sport (cross country and baseball being the only two exceptions I can think of), the playing field is the same at every location, minus some sightlines and altitude.

A good solid round tomorrow should get us in. Let's get to Grayhawk and play some good golf. A little bit adversity will do us some good for the finals.

Except for 1989 when top 5 Wake men's team didn't make it out of the regional.

Reserve the course if you bid and you don't get guaranteed you're there. Tournament still gonna be held there. The 8 seed in the region shouldn't be the host. They play there all year and in golf that's a far bigger advantage than just playing at home in a one off basketball game IMO.

I'm not saying that it's unfair to a Wake in the region, I think it's a ridiculous advantage for 8th seeded in the region State.

Maybe make it so if you're a top 5 regional type team you get guaranteed a spot then so folks will still bid. But State shouldn't be playing their home course with 7 teams better there.

My original point wasn't specifically complaining about this week. If Wake doesn't advance, it is on them. It was more of an observation that each golf course is so different that it seems like it would be a tremendous advantage to play at home compared to other sports. In virtually every other sport (cross country and baseball being the only two exceptions I can think of), the playing field is the same at every location, minus some sightlines and altitude.
Absolutely

Yeah maybe State is just playing their ass off, but they've lost to one team through two days. They beat everybody yesterday and they tied for 2nd today (only losing to Wake on a day by day comparison). Silly

Reserve the course if you bid and you don't get guaranteed you're there. Tournament still gonna be held there. The 8 seed in the region shouldn't be the host. They play there all year and in golf that's a far bigger advantage than just playing at home in a one off basketball game IMO.

I'm not saying that it's unfair to a Wake in the region, I think it's a ridiculous advantage for 8th seeded in the region State.

Maybe make it so if you're a top 5 regional type team you get guaranteed a spot then so folks will still bid. But State shouldn't be playing their home course with 7 teams better there.
Nobody is going to want to bid on a regional if the host school can't play there. This is a semi-reward for actually putting in the effort to bid, costing yourself tens of thousands of dollars in forfeited greens fees if your public course is closed (or inconveniencing your members for a week if it is a private club), and asking 40-75 volunteers to cover shifts over the course of the week.

No course on earth is going to sign up for that "deal" if you then say "oh, the host school isn't allowed to play there btw".

Good luck with that plan. Even for those Universities that own their own golf courses, you are never going to have a bunch of schools reserve a golf course for a week every Spring just in case they happen to be a top 6 seed. As it stands, schools only agree to host on a one year on/one year off plan because hosting is disruptive for all others that use the course. FWIW, the schools that agree to host face the risk of not qualifying for the tournament. Happened this year with Washington State as they only had an individual player qualify.

One possible solution to the hosting thing: if the host school is a top 5 seed entering the regional and finishes in the top 5, end of story; there's your 5 NCAA qualifiers. If the host is seeded outside the top 5 entering the regional and finishes in the top 5, then the number of qualifiers from that regional increases by one team to 6, . Maybe that resolves the incentivizing the host angle w/o penalizing that one team that may have qualified otherwise. Guessing in most years that might increase the NCAA field by 2 or 3 teams at most; could probably have a Dayton-esque "first 4" or whatever if the field got too large from a course/tournament management perspective..

One possible solution to the hosting thing: if the host school is a top 5 seed entering the regional and finishes in the top 5, end of story; there's your 5 NCAA qualifiers. If the host is seeded outside the top 5 entering the regional and finishes in the top 5, then the number of qualifiers from that regional increases by one team to 6, . Maybe that resolves the incentivizing the host angle w/o penalizing that one team that may have qualified otherwise. Guessing in most years that might increase the NCAA field by 2 or 3 teams at most; could probably have a Dayton-esque "first 4" or whatever if the field got too large from a course/tournament management perspective..
156 golfers already qualify for the national championship on the men's side, there is no room to add any more teams (that's the same size as a full field PGA tournament). They are lucky to get all those players around the course as it is.

You have to be shitting me that Bermuda Run is hosting a men's regional.
I've never played the East course, but thought it was a decent track??? Is it not long enough for today's college players? I mean, you aren't going to have Old Town Club offering to host a Men's Golf regional.

Back