• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf 2024 - Women’s ACC Tournament April 18-21; Men's ACCT April 19-22

I actually think this team has a really good chance of making match play if we have Fitz for round 1. Throw in being in the morning wave, as well, for round 1 and that’s the difference. I don’t think they win match play by any means given the talent at the top, but it would’ve been fun to see.

I agree with this 100%

That said, holy shit this team is +25 on the front (closing) 9 so far today, which would be on pace for, yes, DFL

There goes any hope I had.

For those who were talking Friday night about how deep we are, we aren’t. As I said then, we have 2 of best amateurs in the world and we are at best top 50 after that. They both shot 71 today in brutal conditions and they got no help.

Why did Chacarra transfer out of wake? Doesn't seem like there would be bad blood since his sister started at wake this year as a freshman. Did Haas just mess this up?

Chacarra decided to transfer after he did not get into the business school at Wake.

What a stupid wake decision. Assuming he was a borderline candidate - you make a way for an athlete. They spend so much time away from campus - they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Uggh

Not sure what your take is Les but this team had no chance of making match play. Two really good players and then the guys who can’t close. We were in perfect position to make top 15 then doubles, triples and even a quad on our back 9. I’m the guy who has really high expectations for both Wake golf teams and our history is the inability to close. Glad to get the ACC title and appreciate that but our men’s team continues to fall further behind elite status. UNC easily makes match play now because they have a huge margin for error going into the final round. On the other hand we couldn’t even make the final round.

Elite golf schools should make the NCAA’s 9 out of 10 years, make the cut 7 out of 10 years and make match play 4 out of 10 years. Recruiting and mental toughness should be at the top of Jerry’s list.

I was saying if Alex plays and we play in the morning in Round 1, this is a different tournament for this team. This team was clutch in the ACC tournament, so I don’t think these guys don’t have what it takes. Having said that, I do think this was a real good team, but we are a level below the top teams in the country and never had a realistic shot at winning the National title. Overall, this season was a success.

WF beat UNC in match play earlier this month in the ACCT

WF isn’t falling behind other programs. WF’s best player missed the first round and the sub, who hasn’t played a competitive round in a month shot 80+. If Fitz plays all 3 rounds WF is teeing off tomorrow.

Last edited:
We were plenty talented. But, there is no way to sugar coat it - we threw up all over ourselves at the very end of the round yesterday and the back 9 today... We had it in our hands to make the cut and even match play, despite Fitz not playing the first day, but choked big time.

WF beat UNC in match play earlier this month in the ACCT

WF isn’t falling behind other programs. WF’s best player missed the first round and the sub, who hasn’t played a competitive round in a month shot 80+. If Fitz plays all 3 rounds WF is teeing off tomorrow.

Agree — we were seeded 16th , finished 19th, without our best player in the first round.

The bigger question here is why the women collapsed in the NCAAs as a 4 seed— the men performed about as expected.

Yes I’m very aware we beat UNC for the ACC championship…our first in 34 years. College golf is played at a high level now and we are falling behind and had a chance to close today and like Scooter said choked on the back nine w two triples and two quads.

Yes the girls did underperform this year with an ACC title because they expect to make match play every year. Check how many ACC championships the girls have won since 1990 compared to the men.

Maybe my expectations are too high but I think the Wake men should be top 12 every year and programs are passing us.

I don't think you can make any grand conclusions about our program falling behind due to our choke here - it happens. We had plenty of talent to compete with anyone. A week or so ago we won an NCAA regional by 7 shots.

I actually think this team has a really good chance of making match play if we have Fitz for round 1. Throw in being in the morning wave, as well, for round 1 and that’s the difference. I don’t think they win match play by any means given the talent at the top, but it would’ve been fun to see.

Given how we collapsed borderline at best. Day 1 appears to be one of more difficult days and would mean Fitz shoots even and he was +1 today. Definitely no guarantee but as alluded even squeaking in would mean no chance at match play which is ultimate goal.

What a stupid wake decision. Assuming he was a borderline candidate - you make a way for an athlete. They spend so much time away from campus - they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Uggh

Exactly. I think we now have a president and athletic director who understand the benefits of having a top-tier athletic program on campus. Hopefully we see fewer decisions like this in the future. The prestige gained from competing for and winning championships certainly outweighs any drawbacks of admitting an apparently borderline student into the business program. If not getting into business school is the reason he transferred, he obviously cares about academics to some degree.

Exactly. I think we now have a president and athletic director who understand the benefits of having a top-tier athletic program on campus. Hopefully we see fewer decisions like this in the future. The prestige gained from competing for and winning championships certainly outweighs any drawbacks of admitting an apparently borderline student into the business program. If not getting into business school is the reason he transferred, he obviously cares about academics to some degree.

Getting into the business school is not particularly hard… I think you just have to have a C or better in the prerequisite.

We were plenty talented. But, there is no way to sugar coat it - we threw up all over ourselves at the very end of the round yesterday and the back 9 today... We had it in our hands to make the cut and even match play, despite Fitz not playing the first day, but choked big time.

giphy.gif

How many total scholarships in Men’s Golf? How many guys are getting 100%?

How many total scholarships in Men’s Golf? How many guys are getting 100%?

4.5 for D1 golf. I'm not a compliance expert, but I would guess that given that our men's golf program is well funded that all the starting players and then some are fully funded.

Do scholarships like the Arnold Palmer one count against that limit? I'm not sure.

Back