• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf 2024 - Women’s NCAA Regionals May 6-8; Men's NCAA Regionals May 13-15

Anyone who thinks OTC is anything but a massive advantage is an idiot. I suspect the next coach (whenever that happens) will be much younger than Straub / Mattiace age. They should also have coaching experience, especially a ton of recruiting experience and relationships across the country. Whether we keep it "in the family" or not will be a decision for Currie, and although he didnt hire Coach Lewellen, she was hugely successful at UVA before coming here. The men's job will attract plenty of similar candidates.

Anyone who thinks OTC is anything but a massive advantage is an idiot. I suspect the next coach (whenever that happens) will be much younger than Straub / Mattiace age. They should also have coaching experience, especially a ton of recruiting experience and relationships across the country. Whether we keep it "in the family" or not will be a decision for Currie, and although he didnt hire Coach Lewellen, she was hugely successful at UVA before coming here. The men's job will attract plenty of similar candidates.

If you were looking for a similar track record as Lewellen, and also wanted to keep it in the family, then head down to Auburn for an option.

Straub is only 4-5 years older than Lewellen, 6 years older than Clinard, and right around the age of Currie's major hires and attempted hires (Forbes, Leach, Weber)

I don't believe Currie will relieve Haas and would have no insight into his hiring process other than he appears to like 50-something proven coaches (and Straub is 50-something)

Straub is only 4-5 years older than Lewellen, 6 years older than Clinard, and right around the age of Currie's major hires and attempted hires (Forbes, Leach, Weber)

I don't believe Currie will relieve Haas and would have no insight into his hiring process other than he appears to like 50-something proven coaches (and Straub is 50-something)

Davidson to Wake is way too big of a jump. The level of recruiting isnt remotely comparable.

So, people want Currie to fire Jerry Haas and hire Davidson's Tim Straub as the coach?

Tim Straub has coached Davidson for 18 seasons. He has won two conference titles during that span (none in the SoCon) both in the A-10. These are the other A-10 golf programs:

Dayton
VCU
St. Bonnie
Fordham
Rhode Island
George Mason
GWU
Richmond

His best finish in a NCAA regional is 10th (which is equivalent to about 60th in the country). From the Davidson website the highest rank for the Davidson program ever is 40th in the country.

Yes, Tim Straub went to WF, but building the Davidson golf program to the top half of the A-10 doesn't qualify you to get the WF job. Just not sure what Tim Straub has done that qualifies him as the guy who can take WF from a top 15 program every year to the top program in the country.

Curious: does Wake have anything WFU-specific at OTC (designated parking, locker space, meeting room, etc.), or do they drive up, pop the trunk, and go to the 1st tee like the members? And not saying that they should, but for instance even though it's further from campus than OTC, I'm guessing the NCSU golfers have a few amenities at Lonnie Poole separate (not even necessarily better) than from the members.

So, people want Currie to fire Jerry Haas and hire Davidson's Tim Straub as the coach?

Tim Straub has coached Davidson for 18 seasons. He has won two conference titles during that span (none in the SoCon) both in the A-10. These are the other A-10 golf programs:

Dayton
VCU
St. Bonnie
Fordham
Rhode Island
George Mason
GWU
Richmond

His best finish in a NCAA regional is 10th (which is equivalent to about 60th in the country). From the Davidson website the highest rank for the Davidson program ever is 40th in the country.

Yes, Tim Straub went to WF, but building the Davidson golf program to the top half of the A-10 doesn't qualify you to get the WF job. Just not sure what Tim Straub has done that qualifies him as the guy who can take WF from a top 15 program every year to the top program in the country.

Tim Straub is not the right man for the job. But WF is not a “top 15 program every year”. Over the past 20 seasons WF has finished top 30 (nationals) a total of 10 times.

There is no comparison to what Wake has at OTC and State at Lonnie Poole. Wake kids are like members at OTC and the locker room has pics of all our noted players over the years...they have access all the time and it’s literally on campus. Lonnie Poole is an ok golf course at best, very crowded and basically a public course. I’ve played both and can absolutely tell you there’s no comparison in the golf courses or experience. Also State practices at Lonnie Poole with everyone else on the range. Wake has the AP golf complex to themselves and can walk there

I used the link provided to review the Top 100 courses. Has anyone reading ever played Pine Valley Golf Club in Clementon, NJ ? It has been ranked #1 the past five years and 29 times in the past 37 years. Has it ever been the host to a Major?

I’ve played Pine Valley once over 20 years ago. The membership doesn’t want to host any type of professional golf event. I believe they have had one Walker Cup but other that that you’d need to go back to the 1960’s to actually see the course on TV when they hosted a Shells Wonderful World of Golf. They are even more protective than Seminole.

Jerry isn’t going anywhere, but if he did, Kyle Reifers would get a long look.

Who bribed golf magazine to put OTC #41. Sorry Dunlop, it was cute getting them in the top 100 on occasion but ahead of Winged Foot & Bandon? Let’s get real.

The running joke is further highlighted by OTC’s complete omission from the top 200.

Like all things WF, we “settled” for what was already there. A private club (you can’t walk to fenced up) & a civic center to showcase our only real sports.

The decline was predictable.

We get it, everything’s better in Greensboro.

Given you’re so much smarter than the rest of us, what would you have had Wake do for the golf programs? The current approach with a world class on campus practice facility and continued access to a GREAT course 5 mins from campus or make a significant investment in a new club with unclear long term prospects that suck up funds for further investment in the on campus facility?

So is DR making the argument that we haven't had enough talent in the WF golf program to win? Because that argument is even dumber (by an order of magnitude) than his basketball takes.

DR has his pet issues, and he places all blame for wakes inability to achieve success in the postseason on those pet issues.

DR has his pet issues, and he places all blame for wakes inability to achieve success in the postseason on those pet issues.

He sure does. But in this case, it really doesn't make sense. The golf team has a course that is essentially on campus. Which got me thinking... The tennis team previously had their courts right in the heart of campus. They moved off campus to the football/bball stadium area, yet since the move the program has improved exponentially and won ACC and national championships. How could that be?

He sure does. But in this case, it really doesn't make sense. The golf team has a course that is essentially on campus. Which got me thinking... The tennis team previously had their courts right in the heart of campus. They moved off campus to the football/bball stadium area, yet since the move the program has improved exponentially and won ACC and national championships. How could that be?

I'm going to guess that they hired a 15 year old for their coach - and he is energetic, hungry, blah blah blah

Probably because the off campus facilities are way better.

Probably because the off campus facilities are way better.

Are you talking about tennis? In what way are they better?

But that's not DR's argument. He argues that the facilities need to be smaller and on-campus, not better.

Are you talking about tennis? In what way are they better?

But that's not DR's argument. He argues that the facilities need to be smaller and on-campus, not better.

Clemson has an on-campus course. It's a putt-putt and part of the football complex, but still...

Back