• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Golf 2024 - Going Back to Cali for the NCAA Title; Women: May 17-22; Men May 24-29

looks like the course is playing tough but the back nine has been way easier. but rivers is already +6 so can’t have blowups from any of the top 4

eta: we are just playing bad

Last edited:
Haas has been our coach since 1997. Is that a list that shows how many times during that span we qualfied for regionals and nationals?
Wake has qualified 25 consecutive years for the Regionals. Last advanced to the Final 8 match play in 2019. Men have qualified for nationals at least 4 of last 5 years.
Wish basketball would get on a run like that!

Guess it comes down to economics, but teams should not play regionals on their home course. We went through this last year when the WF women played at NC State in the Raleigh regional, but there is no sport where a home (course) advantage means more than golf. Lesser players that play the same course everyday always hold an edge over equal and even better players who are unfamiliar with the same course. Texas is good (#11), but they were the third seed in the regional, and won it by 16 shots. Texas also had the individual champ, and their top 4 finished in the 1,2,3 (T) and 7. The definition of a biased competition.
These are bid out several years in advance of the competition. It is not like women’s baskets where the Top 16 seeds all host the first two rounds at home every year.
We also host the men’s regionals next year!
Last hosted the men’s finals in 1986 & 1979.

Yep. That narrative is dumb, which is what I pointed out. Every message board, for every team, in every sport thinks their team chokes. Duke bball, Alabama football, etc. So to comment "pulling a Wake" when we won a playoff, following a weekend of over-achieving in all sports we participated in, seemed extra dumb.

And I don't always defend the athletic department. In fact, watch this -- I think Wake should move on from Jerry Haas. Haas has a mediocre-to-poor record at Wake when you consider our history and the amount of money we put into men's golf. Then, when you compare the success of the women's team to the men's team in the past few years, the under-achieving becomes even more clear. I don't think we will move on, because there are a lot of factors that would make that challenging (such as family/legacy dynamics).

Also, if you don't think the ACC is getting screwed across the board in sports, you're not paying attention. Duke softball, with a 47-6 record, ACC champs, ranked #4 in the country, computer ranking of #3, got the 10 seed in the NCAA tournament. No clear explanation given.
While we may put a ton of money in to our golf programs, times have thoroughly changed from the 60’s & especially the 70’s when we so totally dominated the ACC and partly national golf.
First, hardly any schools had the teams there are now (no emphasis on golf except at a few like Wake, Texas, Ok St, Houston, etc) and there were almost unlimited schollies. Wake was so strong in 75 & 76 that Hoch wasn’t in the 6 man lineup Jesse had of Strange, Hass, Byman, Thore, Agrabrite & Saylor. DAMN!!! Then wins b-to-b ACC titles in 77-78.
Today there are 1000’s of quality hs golfers out there with +3 or better handicaps, Now there are 293 D1 golf programs and there is a limit of 4.5 schollies in men’s golf. (6 schollies in women’s in the 249 D1 programs)
So I don’t think you are going to see that 70’s style domination again and our overall success has still been pretty damn good (and we ought to wish the rest of our men’s teams did as well!!)

Last edited:
should be pretty close to 15th by the end of the day, but we have to have a really good round tomorrow to start making up ground with the top 8

While we may put a ton of money in to our golf programs, times have thoroughly changed from the 60’s & especially the 70’s when we so totally dominated the ACC and partly national golf.
First, hardly any schools had the teams there are now (no emphasis on golf except at a few like Wake, Texas, Ok St, Houston, etc) and there were almost unlimited schollies. Wake was so strong in 75 & 76 that Hoch wasn’t in the 6 man lineup Jesse had of Strange, Hass, Byman, Thore, Agrabrite & Saylor. DAMN!!! Then wins b-to-b ACC titles in 77-78.
Today there are 1000’s of quality hs golfers out there with +3 or better handicaps, Now there are 293 D1 golf programs and there is a limit of 4.5 schollies in men’s golf. (6 schollies in women’s in the 249 D1 programs)
So I don’t think you are going to see that 70’s style domination again and our overall success has still been pretty damn good (and we out to wish the rest of our men’s teams did as well!!)
You continue to bring up our '70s dominance as if people are upset that we aren't dominant like that anymore... Literally, no one is expecting that.

You continue to bring up our '70s dominance as if people are upset that we aren't dominant like that anymore... Literally, no one is expecting that.
I literally disagree with that because I hear it all the time from people who were in school in the 70’s when I was there. Many act somewhat about our “old days” of golf like Miami Hurricane footballers from the 70’s & 80’s expect their football to get back to the thug days of Schnellenberger, Johnson, Davis, when they had no academics.
Golf has changed dramatically in the past 10-20 years, just with the plethora of fantastic teen golfers available for schollies. Combine that with the 4.5 limit and I just don’t see huge dominance anymore.

Back