• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Men's Soccer Spring 2012

baron52

Reaction score
JV strikes again and continues to load up:

Maryland standout picks Wake Forest

ESPN

March 9th, 2012

•2013 NCAA Division I Boys

By Sheldon Shealer

Jacori Hayes, a Class of 2013 prospect and member of the ESPNHS 150, verbally committed Thursday night to Wake Forest, according to his club coach.

The midfielder standout is the sixth elite Maryland prospect in the past two years to select Wake Forest, joining Class of 2012 signees Michael Gamble, Ricky Greensfelder, Andrew Harris and Jelan Robinson and Class of 2013 commit Collin Martin.

Hayes helped DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.) to a POWERADE FAB 50 No. 2 ranking following a second straight perfect season. Hayes was named to the ESPNHS Fall Maryland All-Star team.

He plays club soccer for the Baltimore Bays under-15/16 team in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy. He has started in three of the four matches in which he has played this season.

Great news, I enjoy Wake soccer. I plan on watching JV and the guys quite a bit next fall. The girls have quite a program also.

JV strikes again and continues to load up:

Maryland standout picks Wake Forest

ESPN

March 9th, 2012

•2013 NCAA Division I Boys

By Sheldon Shealer

Jacori Hayes, a Class of 2013 prospect and member of the ESPNHS 150, verbally committed Thursday night to Wake Forest, according to his club coach.

The midfielder standout is the sixth elite Maryland prospect in the past two years to select Wake Forest, joining Class of 2012 signees Michael Gamble, Ricky Greensfelder, Andrew Harris and Jelan Robinson and Class of 2013 commit Collin Martin.

Hayes helped DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.) to a POWERADE FAB 50 No. 2 ranking following a second straight perfect season. Hayes was named to the ESPNHS Fall Maryland All-Star team.

He plays club soccer for the Baltimore Bays under-15/16 team in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy. He has started in three of the four matches in which he has played this season.

What's amazing is that JV is snatching these kids (6 in the last 2 years) right out from Sasho and the Terps backyard....this has got to piss Sasho off big time

Last edited:
He gets who he wants
He gets who he waaaannntttsss
Jay Vidovich
HE GETS WHO HE WANTS

I'm not sure why anyone would want spend four years in College Park...then again, a lot of kids pick Akron, so there you go.

What's amazing is that JV is snatching these kids (6 in the last 2 years) right out from Sasho and the Terps backyard....this has got to piss Sasho off big time

I'm sure Sasho would've happily had some of them, but he's doing a pretty good job of plucking guys from tv Dallas, red bulls, and dc united academies. I'm not too worried.

Last edited:
A lot of it goes to UNC, where it rides the pine, quits the team, but then sticks around for a degree.

Losing Porter hurt Wake in NC.

That's all anecdotal and good info. But is NC producing as much talent as Maryland and other areas?

That's a tough question to answer, but I'd guess that, overall, yes we are. I know that NC Fusion (combination of Greensboro YSA and Twins) academy's U16 academy team made it to the final four, I believe, last year. In NC alone, we have four academy clubs: North Meck, CASL, Fusion and CSA.

Fusion was such an excellent idea. Neither Gboro or Winston are strong enough on their own to compete with Charlotte or Raleigh, but combined they have some excellent players.

That's all anecdotal and good info. But is NC producing as much talent as Maryland and other areas?

That's a tough question to answer, but I'd guess that, overall, yes we are. I know that NC Fusion (combination of Greensboro YSA and Twins) academy's U16 academy team made it to the final four, I believe, last year. In NC alone, we have four academy clubs: North Meck, CASL, Fusion and CSA.

Yes, some of it is on the team.

Just heard that JV's top recruit for the 2013 class, Collin Martin, has decided to commit to Wake a year early and will be playing with the team this fall....evidently he plays with the DC United Reserves as an attacking midfielder and is the only member of the U-20 National team that is not a pro or currently in college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywOoG0U3gdw

Last edited:
Martin sounds like a stud. Cool that John Harkes's kid is coming here, especially since his dad went to UVA (gross).

Fusion was such an excellent idea. Neither Gboro or Winston are strong enough on their own to compete with Charlotte or Raleigh, but combined they have some excellent players.

I'm sure you know this, dv7, but the academy is going to a 10 month schedule. No more high school soccer for these boys. Not a bad thing - actually, a good thing developmentally. Lots of angst in the youth soccer community about this decision, but it's the only way for us to develop the highest caliber players we can.

I think it's just cyclical... In recent years NC produced Opara, Schilawski, Moose and Arnoux, just to name a few off the top of my head.

Back