• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - ND football travel plans

ClemmonsWFU

Reaction score
Planning to take my teenage son to the Wake - ND in November. Tentative plan is to fly up to Chicago the Thursday before the game and spend part of that day and Friday doing some sightseeing in Chicago. Then the game in South Bend on Saturday. Fly back to NC sometime Sunday. Looking for some suggestions on logistics of getting around…car vs train to South Bend? Stay in Chicago Thur and Fri nights and head to ND early Saturday morning? Or head to ND Friday night and stay there somewhere?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Want to make this a special guys trip weekend for my son.

Hotels in the South Bend area are a) prohibitively expensive on game weekends, b) usually require a 2 or 3-night minimum on FB home game weekends, and c) are probably already sold out at this point. Sometimes visiting teams will stay 20-45 minutes away from South Bend just due to the insane hotel costs. Having said all that, football weekends in South Bend are extremely fun, and definitely a bucket list item if you've never been for one. Hope you and your son have a great time.

Planning to take my teenage son to the Wake - ND in November. Tentative plan is to fly up to Chicago the Thursday before the game and spend part of that day and Friday doing some sightseeing in Chicago. Then the game in South Bend on Saturday. Fly back to NC sometime Sunday. Looking for some suggestions on logistics of getting around…car vs train to South Bend? Stay in Chicago Thur and Fri nights and head to ND early Saturday morning? Or head to ND Friday night and stay there somewhere?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Want to make this a special guys trip weekend for my son.

I just recieved an Email from WFU regarding transportation packages from Chicago to South Bend for the game. If I recall correctly a package was offered by Wake in 2017 and the reviews were positive. Nothing firm at the moment but godeacs.com/southbend is the contact site for information. It might fit your needs but at worse it is a starting point.

Chicagoan here - I've made the trip out to South Bend several times, but always by car. It's under two hours, but can be significantly longer with traffic and weather (Lake effect snow frequently impacts the 90-94 corridors). I know several Domers who take the train out once or twice a year and swear by it, but I've never taken it myself.

The Wake bus in 2012 worked out well. It picked up downtown and took us to South Bend in the morning with plenty of time before kickoff. I recommend it if it’s reasonably priced.

I took the train from Chicago to South Bend when I went. It was a pleasant experience and didn't have to worry about driving.

Thanks…I will check out the train options as well explore Wake options. I am a little hesitant to drive not knowing what the weather might be like. Any favorite places to stay in Chicago? I will look for Marriotts (gotta make use of those points, right) in the general area of all the Michigan Ave touristy stuff that my son will want to see.

Also, is it worth it to take a train to ND Friday night instead of Saturday morning so as to not be pressed for time and be able to enjoy the atmosphere a bit more?

football weekends in South Bend are extremely fun
curious what this entails

my one trip to South Bend was when Wake got cooked (while the Wake hoops team was simultaneously getting cooked) and ND was #2 in the country

I was kinda underwhelmed by the gameday experience after hyping it in my head -- felt pretty buttoned up

I guess things that are big on tradition over, say, a big tailgating scene aren't really my thing

my one trip to South Bend was when Wake got cooked (while the Wake hoops team was simultaneously getting cooked) and ND was #2 in the country

I was kinda underwhelmed by the gameday experience after hyping it in my head -- felt pretty buttoned up

I guess things that are big on tradition over, say, a big tailgating scene aren't really my thing
kind of agree with this.

had a good time tailgating because @JamesSokolove's sister and brother in law throw a good party, and it was kind of cool to see Touchdown Jesus in person one time, but otherwise kind of meh

kind of agree with this.

had a good time tailgating because @JamesSokolove's sister and brother in law throw a good party, and it was kind of cool to see Touchdown Jesus in person one time, but otherwise kind of meh
Was this the same visit when you left at halftime and drove straight back to NC?

Also, is it worth it to take a train to ND Friday night instead of Saturday morning so as to not be pressed for time and be able to enjoy the atmosphere a bit more?
Honestly, South Bend is a sleepy little town and most of the atmosphere for ND football comes from the history and the mystique and not from what happens on game day. Here the information on the South Shore Train schedule to and from Millenium Station in Chicago - you could also take Amtrak to the game, but there is not a return train on the weekends and it costs significantly more.

Driving shouldn't be too bad that time of the year provided there isn't an early snow storm - even if there is lake effect snow affecting 90 and 94, you can pop down to US-30 and go through Valpo and Merrillville to avoid it.

I’ve gone to 3 games at ND. All when I lived in Chicago. Each time we drove…once we went half way night before so we could get there early and tailgate.

It’s an easy drive. To @w84it point. The only concern is lake effect snow…and you can avoid it. Personally I’d drive it, it’s easy enough

I can see how this might have been the impression from a visiting team fan (especially if your team didn't play well). I was attending multiple weekends as a neutral observer, hosted by locals, so we hit all the pre-game activities (Friday night pep rally, drinks at the Linebacker bar) and enjoyed close accommodations as well. Saturday pre-game tailgate with some locals, walked the campus to see all the dorm pre-game parties/atmosphere, went in mid-September one year and mid-October the 2nd year, so weather was never an issue. Definitely more of a "bucket list" destination for those who appreciate the tradition and history of the Fighting Irish.

one thing about notre dame that i didn't realize til I met alumni is how catholic it actually is

i kinda figure it was catholic in the way wake is/was baptist -- some history and maybe a small contingent of folks that lean into it -- but no, they're super catholic and it sounds like a tough place to be if you're not catholic, at least for some of the people I've met that had less positive experiences

Back