• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Ranked 7th least friendly LGBT School by PR

"It could be more robust" is quite the understatement. Taking one question's answer from roughly 3% of the student population and turning it into a ranking is hardly giving the [touchy] issue its due process.

This is pretty much how all of PR's lists are compiled.

lbE, keep in mind this is a small part of a much larger study of many many campus factors at many many schools. LGBT life was not the sole focus. With that in mind, their methods were solid.

Adding resources and such artificially adds value based on what those resources SHOULD do, not what they actually do. Who cares of a college has an LGBT center if it doesn't encourage students to report that the campus is friendly to the LGBT community?

Let's face it. If people had answered that one simple question with positive responses, you'd have no criticism of the methods at all and the Wake LGBT center would have a copy of the article printed out on their door saying "Wake Forest ranked most friendly school to LGBT community".

I probably will get blasted but the African American community's views on homosexuality are so dark ages

i believe the stat is that there is a slightly higher percentage of black gays than say white gays

but so many are on the down low because of church

sad

Last edited:
Right... That doesn't make them good.

But then why should the LGBT issue be treated differently?

I think this was a big part of my point. I don't agree with Princeton Review's methods of publishing a lot of these lists. I think highlighting this as a larger part of their problem a bit more would have made for a more effective article. Instead, since he focuses so much on Wake/LGBT/this list, it comes off a bit myopic and somehow still overwritten.

I probably will get blasted but the African American community's views on homosexuality are so dark ages

i believe the stat is that there is a slightly higher percentage of black gays than say white gays

but so many are on the down low because of church

sad

i'm not sure i totally disagree, but what does this have to do with the thread?

lbE, keep in mind this is a small part of a much larger study of many many campus factors at many many schools. LGBT life was not the sole focus. With that in mind, their methods were solid.

Adding resources and such artificially adds value based on what those resources SHOULD do, not what they actually do. Who cares of a college has an LGBT center if it doesn't encourage students to report that the campus is friendly to the LGBT community?

Let's face it. If people had answered that one simple question with positive responses, you'd have no criticism of the methods at all and the Wake LGBT center would have a copy of the article printed out on their door saying "Wake Forest ranked most friendly school to LGBT community".

I understand that (large study, many questions/factors), and it's all well and good if they're painting a broad experience picture with the results they're putting out, but I don't agree with picking one question and using its results to create a ranking for a particular item. I realize this is the case with lots of top-10 lists that come out, but again- it doesn't make it good or right.

images

But then why should the LGBT issue be treated differently?

I don't think it should be; I don't really put much stock in any of their lists, but lots of people do...

I think this was a big part of my point. I don't agree with Princeton Review's methods of publishing a lot of these lists. I think highlighting this as a larger part of their problem a bit more would have made for a more effective article. Instead, since he focuses so much on Wake/LGBT/this list, it comes off a bit myopic and somehow still overwritten.

...which is why I agree with this, that the larger problem should have been addressed and that would be an effective article. That said, I can't fault the writer from writing such a personal response given his direct experience with the issue.

I'll be the first to blast you--your use of "dark ages" as a pejorative is highly offensive to me.

...which is why I agree with this, that the larger problem should have been addressed and that would be an effective article. That said, I can't fault the writer from writing such a personal response given his direct experience with the issue.

And I think, too, it fits in with the LGBT Voices or whatever section of HuffPo this was printed in. Some of my comments were a bit trifling, but I just think it was missing a bit. Don't doubt Tre was a good kid and is a good rep for Wake and the LGBT community, though.

Do we really need a survey to know that wake isn't necessarily gay friendly?

Shorty's has been renamed

images

Has a great salad bar!

Btw, who gives a shit about this? Reminds me of when they took down the big Greek letters on the dorms because 2 out of 10 visitors were "offended" by them.

Back