• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Receives Huge Donation from Sale of Park Road Shopping Center

monorail.gif

A bit of a Haas, as the donation of the real estate was discussed last month. Was probably already under contract when it was donated.

Hopefully, as a demonstration that tuition has skyrocketed beyond that which is reasonably affordable to most, they will lower tuition using some of this donation to offset the loss of revenue. What Wake costs right now is ridiculous, even for someone who loves WFU as I do.

You must live in a dream world. A $40,000,000 donation is roughly $10,000 per undergraduate student. Exactly how much do you think they should lower tuition, and for how long?

Wake cashes out. I guess I can stop writing Hatch about renaming it the Coach [Redacted] Fashion and Provision Center then.

$40m translates into $4m or less per year for perpetuity. Divide that by 4000 students (making the math easier), and you're at $1000 per student.

To drop tuition by $10,000 across 4,000 students you'd need $40,000,000/year which works out to a $400,000,000 lump sum donation.

And that's with a pretty generous discount rate (10% above inflation).

Still a very generous donation though. I believe it qualifies as the largest ever to Wake by a living individual.

I hope they put it towards a new building for the business school. The old one is starting to show its age.

You realize Ferrell Hall is being built now, right?

I think that was his point...given that the b-school was already in the newest academic building on campus.

Of course the logical point to make in response is that the b-school building is fully funded by designated donations and is definitely needed as they integrate the business schools in order to make the management school better (which could help the university as a whole in a big way).

Hopefully, as a demonstration that tuition has skyrocketed beyond that which is reasonably affordable to most, they will lower tuition using some of this donation to offset the loss of revenue. What Wake costs right now is ridiculous, even for someone who loves WFU as I do.

That's basically what schools do by increasing tuition but increasing grants and scholarships at a higher rate.

It is so frustrating that Wake is building a new B school when several of the other buildings are falling apart. The upper classman dorms on the quad are a joke, academic buildings like carswell and even the science ones are old and shitty.

I wonder how much the school spends on an average b school kid as opposed to liberal arts.

It is so frustrating that Wake is building a new B school when several of the other buildings are falling apart. The upper classman dorms on the quad are a joke, academic buildings like carswell and even the science ones are old and shitty.

I wonder how much the school spends on an average b school kid as opposed to liberal arts.

If the donation was conditional then there isn't much wake could do.

This is the norm at nearly every school, unfortunately. The liberal arts are dying. It sucks.

When someone says here's $10 million, if you use it to build a new b-school building, you build a new b-school building.

Back