• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Scoreboard Game

Wakeforest22890

Snowpom
Reaction score
What were the details of that, where the ball hit (or didn't) the scoreboard against UNC in ACC Tournament? What year was it, what was the final, does anyone know the inbounder, ref, etc? Any help would be great. I can do some research on it but am not near a computer at the moment and was looking for the details ASAP.

Yes, 75 ACC tournament.

I was surprised at how sparse the info is out there about this game. This is the most detail I found

As for the UNC scoreboard incident, UNC was down 4 with 34 seconds to go to Wake Forest in the opening round of the 1975 ACC tournament and after a UNC layup Wake threw the ball in bounds but was called for a violation. The official said the ball grazed the scoreboard and UNC got the ball and ended up winning 101-100 in OT and went on to win the ACC title 2 days later.

I'm not going to vouch for the accuracy of this recounting, but it is all I found.

I shouldn't be too surprised I guess. I hate to be a media conspiracy theorist but UNC has far more control of the story of the ACC than we do and this doesn't paint them in the best light.

I think Jerry Shellenberg threw the pass to Skip Brown. Perfect pass to Brown that he caught on the run about 30 feet from the basket. Fred Hickel was the ref. He had several confrontations with the Wake bench during the game.

Hickel was run over by a bus in Baltimore years later and died.

Back