• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Will Always be in the ACC

“I think the conferences have generally decided that transparency is not the way to go on these matters because it creates all kind of rumors and incorrect rumors,’’ Wellman said. “So doing it, not clandestinely, but a bit more securely, is probably the manner in which conferences are going to consider expansion in the future."

That is right up Wellman's alley. Wellman apparently despises transparency. Keeping things secret - keeping "you people" out of the loop....being sneaky is what he is good at. "NO FAN SPECULATION ALLOWED! They aren't worthy of knowing what goes on in this difficult business."

That is right up Wellman's alley. Wellman apparently despises transparency. Keeping things secret - keeping "you people" out of the loop....being sneaky is what he is good at. "NO FAN SPECULATION ALLOWED! They aren't worthy of knowing what goes on in this difficult business."

I don't think he necessarily despises transparency. I think these little games are the only thing that the sad man really has to look forward to anymore. Now that there are no teams to care about and everything...

What I didn't get in this interview is Wellman acts shocked about the concept of Maryland going to the Big Ten, like its a sudden, new idea he'd never considered. I've heard the Maryland to the Big Ten rumor for a long time, mainly on-line mind you. So is he that out of touch or is this just the party line?

If/when Wellman becomes ACC Commissioner - the entire conference is doomed. He has done a great job killing Wake's athletic programs - I'm confident he is capable of killing the ACC.

What I didn't get in this interview is Wellman acts shocked about the concept of Maryland going to the Big Ten, like its a sudden, new idea he'd never considered. I've heard the Maryland to the Big Ten rumor for a long time, mainly on-line mind you. So is he that out of touch or is this just the party line?

No one thought MD was stupid enough to leave.

suddenly people trust wellman's word?

We can hope, but this is the man that got rid of Odom, Greer, kept Caldwell far too long, Petersen & Rembilak, tried to get rid of Averill, Dailey, hired Bennett, has tennis & volleyball hopelessly lost.

Geez, we can hope we can stay in the ACC, otherwise we can go back to the Southern?

Well said. This part had me scratching my head:

-----------------
“We’re always going to be members of the ACC, so we are totally committed to the ACC,’’ Wellman said Wednesday. “And so no, we don’t have a contingency plan, mainly because the ACC is a solid conference and it’s going to be here forever — if forever is such a possibility.
“I don’t know if everything is forever. But the ACC is going to be here for a long, long, long time. So that’s where Wake Forest is going to remain.’’
Wellman acknowledged he felt the seismic shift last month when Maryland, a charter member of the conference, announced plans to leave for the Big Ten. And he admits, like many others, that he wasn’t braced for the news.
It was the first time that the ACC — which since 2004 has added and announced plans to add seven schools from the Big East — has lost a member to another conference.
“I don’t think anyone saw it coming,’’ Wellman said. “No one that I’ve talked with anyway saw it coming. So everyone was surprised by that.
“It was surprising because in the fall the presidents had made certain commitments to one another about communication. That did not occur. So it was surprising and it was disappointing, but fortunately we have landed on our feet.
“It’s disappointing to lose a charter member of the conference, a member we have had a relationship with for close to 60 years now. And they’ve been such a strong member of the conference. We will certainly miss them.’’
------

I'm not sure how he can be so confident that the ACC is a solid conference and in the same interview talk about how he was blindsided by a team leaving because their president violated some honor code they came up with. If the ACC was on shaky ground, Wellman wouldn't know. If the events that needed to happen to destroy the ACC actually happened, Wellman would have no clue.

Now it could just be party line AD speak, but it's not consistent. You can't say that you're sure then talk about how you didn't know.

Ph, I can only say that composition must not have been a high priority at Bowling Green. That, and Wellman's apparent or, possibly pathological, need to be duplicitous. Did not he kiss Maryland's ass after he trashed them?

I hope the clock is ticking.

Last edited:
Uh . . . lack of interest is a key component of bottom feeder status.

We are the Iron Mike Sharpe of the ACC.

Really? looks like the fanbase to me is up in arms and doing other things than attending Wake sporting events.

Uh . . . lack of interest is a key component of bottom feeder status.

We are the Iron Mike Sharpe of the ACC.

tumblr_m0525znBSI1qg7qtto1_500.gif

Back