• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wakephan's Modern English Usage: OFFICIAL Tunnels Guide to terms, words, and idioms

my understanding is that re is an abbreviation of "regards" or "regarding" so it would follow that you'd follow it with the typical full stop as in assoc.

re is a loanword from latin, not an abbreviation

i refuse. i refuse to go along with re

re: means regarding. re is a fantasy word

/thread

Like I say several times in this thread: you do whatever you want.

But now you must do it with the knowledge that you're resisting

if you're going to try to claim cap-T Truth with etymology I feel like you're in for a rough ride idk
I am not doing that, and this has nothing to do with etymology. It is simply a loanword in English like pizza, pretzel, and cafe

another normative function of the colon is to introduce something specific as in "The one thing Kory has never owned: a quarter zip." so it makes sense why it'd be positioned there

Unfortunately, this example is incorrect.

For a colon to be used in this way (to introduce new information), the first half of the sentence must be an independent clause, not a dependent clause. It could read:

"There is one thing Kory has never owned: a quarter zip"

the relaxed prescriptivism is weird man

way more fun to be J. L. Austin than Strunk & White imo

Back