• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake's Defense

icedaman

Reaction score
I think one thing that is being overlooked is the fact that while our defense may not be great, it has made clutch stops in the fourth quarter in all of our wins. In all of our wins the opponents offense has had the ball in the fourth quarter with a chance to take the lead, and our defense has prevailed. I think this shows a toughness that just wasn't there the last couple of years. I look for three players in particular who really haven't had the greatest start to the season, to step up their games a notch this weekend and really make a difference. Nikita, Bud, and K.J.

Last edited:
I think one thing that is being overlooked is the fact that while our defense may not be great, it has made clutch stops in the fourth quarter in all of our wins. In all of our wins the opponents offense has had the ball in the fourth quarter with a chance to take the lead, and our defense has prevailed. I think this shows a toughness that just wasn't there the last couple of years. I look for three players in particular who really haven't had the greatest start to the season, to step up their games a notch this weekend and really make a difference. Naketa, Bud, and K.J.

Bud and Kj are going to have to step up against the passing game of Renfree to Vernon. Im just glad Bud will get to have some balls thrown at him finally.

Also, AJ had the play of the game Saturday knocking Trent Steelman out of the game on Armys last drive

Bud ate up Vernon last year. Got in his ear and cause Vernon to have an unsportsmanlike (They always catch the second guy haha)

I think this game could hinge on who wins the battle between Wake's secondary versus Renfree/Vernon and Duke's secondary versus Price/Camp.

I like our chances. We need the offensive line to step up.

Ice, I agree with you. I think one thing our fans get hung up on are stats. Shaw's line on "lies, damn lies, and statistics" is a fitting one when trying to describe WF's success. WF is never going to lead the nation in Defense or Offense. What the Deacs seem to have gained, over the last decade, is a little bit of football luck to go along with the hard work. There is a genuine 'belief' that has developed and the tide has slowly turned from "ahhh shit, I've seen this before. The other team is going to drive the length of the field and we will find a way to lose." Today, there has been a noticeable shift. In the carolina game, Price entered the huddle and told the fellas "we are going 93 yards to win this thing" and somehow, in the stands, the fans seemed to believe it was possible...

To the guys who have "stood long"...the Racer's and others who have endured the years of "Deacon Blues", honest to God, I believe your team finally has a date with 'lady luck' and you have to sieze on this fortune by taking W's anyway you can get them. If I remember correctly, the ACC Title came with an Offense producing 4225 yards while the D gave up exactly the same number.

Just win, baby... and make the key plays when the key plays need to be made. That is what the Deac's are showing they are able to do today.

AJ has made two plays this year that may have ultimately won games for us.

With the exception of our utter inability to stop the run and tackle in general against Army, I've been pleased with the defense. They played really well against a pretty potent UNC offense and everyone is going to score a lot on F$U.

I don't expect Wake's offense to improve much statistically but I think the defense will improve substantially on the statistical front and that we go as the defense goes.

I find it amusing that the defense was supposed to carry the offense this year, and after 4 games the offense is ranked 101 and the defense is ranked 106. Yet the offensive performance is (surprise) an indictment of Lobo while the defensive performance is encouraging.

I have been more disappointed in the defense so far. Poor tackling and a couple of terrible blown assignments.

I find it amusing that the defense was supposed to carry the offense this year, and after 4 games the offense is ranked 101 and the defense is ranked 106. Yet the offensive performance is (surprise) an indictment of Lobo while the defensive performance is encouraging.

I have been more disappointed in the defense so far. Poor tackling and a couple of terrible blown assignments.

The defensive performance has been encouraging. I don't know how you could have watched the games and said otherwise. The defense has forced turnovers when needed, gotten stops after the offense couldn't score, and has had their backs against the wall a substantial amount. The defense has been on the field a ton. Wake has punted the ball 32 times this year and barely punted at all against Army. When you take into account that Army is going to average 300-350 rushing yards per game this year and is a complete anomaly of an opponent, combined with the F$U game (a team which is going to average around 40 points a game this year and just put up 49 points against a top 15 team) the defense has been much more encouraging.

The offense is ranked 101st in the country and scored 49 points while gaining 500+ yards in one of the games. This is the best the offense will do all year and even with it we're STILL in the bottom 25 of the country. We're not going to be playing any more F$U's or Army's. You just want to defend Lobo and make these pithy little comments about SURPRISE PEOPLE DON'T LIKE LOBO. You're just being a troll at this point.

The defense has given up well over 400 yards every game to every FCS team and gave up over 350 to an average offense FCS team. Every team we have played so far except Army ranks higher in defense in their division than they do in offense.

Don't get your panties in a wad numbers. I know you like calling out people for being trolls when they disagree with your astute wisdom.

This is a good place for a reminder that we have punted more than any other team in the country at this point in the season. #2 is a 0-4 MAC team and #3 is a 1-3 MWC team (the losses are against Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Ole Miss). To me that's more damning than total yards of offense, and also goes along way to explaining how the defense can pass the eye test most of the time yet still give up so many yards. The good news is that the offense takes good care of the ball, and we have an excellent punter so usually the defense at least has decent field position.

We had 13 against FSU. and I know we punted alot in the first half of the Liberty game.

We sure didn't punt a lot this past Saturday.

One thing that the defense needs to do again this week is get pressure on the quarterback in the same way we were able to get pressure against UNC.

That's the one thing I have been the most impressed about with the D. They have gotten alot more pressure on the QB so far than a typical Wake pass rush.

On the other hand, that additional pressure and an experienced secondary should have a pass efficiency national ranking better than 75.

Last edited:
We sure didn't punt a lot this past Saturday.

One thing that the defense needs to do again this week is get pressure on the quarterback in the same way we were able to get pressure against UNC.

This is true. 8 against Liberty, 7 against Carolina, 13 against FSU, and 3 against Army. Offense did an excellent job of consistently moving the chains on Saturday. Otherwise it has been poor in that regard.

8, 7, 13, 3

How does Vandy's punter only have 20 punts in 4 games when they have scored 13, 13 and 3 in 3 of those games?

Last edited:
We had 13 against FSU. and I know we punted alot in the first half of the Liberty game.

This tells you about all you need to know "we punted a lot in the first half of the Liberty game".

Also if you can find an instance of me calling someone a troll on here other than you on this topic, keeper, BKF, OG&G, or any of the other generally conceded trolls I'll be mightily impressed.

Everybody knew our offense was going to be a work in process. Not shocking that they looked terrible in the 1st half of game one. They have improved quite a bit.

BTW, we are averaging 5.24 yards per snap and we are giving up 6.14 yards per snap.

And it's not being a troll to point out inconsistent analysis with similar fact patterns. I know that people don't like Lobo. That's the point. That dislike, IMO, clouds people's judgement.

Last edited:
Back