• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wall St Journal: The Writing on the Wall for the NCAA

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9566556/sec-license-trademarks-ea-ncaa-football-game

The Southeastern Conference has joined the NCAA in announcing it will no longer license its trademarks in the EA Sports NCAA football video game.
The move comes a month after the NCAA said it would not license its trademarks, either. That ruling, however, allowed each individual institution and conference to license its trademarks with EA Sports for future college football games.
"Each school makes its own individual decision regarding whether or not to license their trademarks for use in the EA Sports game(s)," the SEC said in a statement. "The Southeastern Conference has chosen not to do so moving forward.
"Neither the SEC, its member universities, nor the NCAA have ever licensed the right to use the name or likeness of any student to EA Sports."
The Collegiate Licensing Company recently announced it completed licensing agreements for approximately 150 of the institutions it represents, including some SEC institutions.
The NCAA's statement last month included similar language about current student athletes, but cited legal costs as the reason for not renewing its contract with EA Sports.
"We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games," the NCAA said. "But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.
The NCAA is currently embattled in a lawsuit with current and former student athletes, led by former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon, over the alleged use of their likenesses in EA Sports video games without compensation.

Priorities change when you get older? Get out.

It's fine for you to say that your interest in college sports is dying now that you're older. It's incorrect to assume that everyone is losing interest at the same time when it's clearly the opposite case.

Nice. bkf cares which bunch of overpaid millionaires can win him his make believe game.

i do not really care about this issue, but it seems weird to pay someone to go to school hehe. they already get exclusive facilities from the cafeteria to the weight room, excellent free tutoring (in addition to free room and board etc. that comes with a full ride), some spending money, all the hot girls they can stand, and all sorts of other unoffical non-monetary benefits that come qwith being popular and attractive and fit. hell at NCSU there was only one dorm where alcohol was permitted...the athlete dorm on avent ferry.

maybe the problem is not paying athletes, but that salaries for everyone else are out of control. but such is the demand i guess the market has spoken.

Last edited:
worst case scenario... this article says that it could be crippling to small schools in big conferences...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...10513489442936.html?mod=ITP_personaljournal_4

could wellman have been such a seer that he knew this was coming and submarined the athletic department in preparation?

he torpedoed the department because he will get an ncaa job, "fix" the ncaa culture issues and then propel wake to the upper echelons of the new ncaa while all the schools that want to continue being good move into a new era of non ncaa competition.

923, i know you like the atlantic and i think you read the guardian and rolling stone. what other "alternative" news sources do you read?

923, i know you like the atlantic and i think you read the guardian and rolling stone. what other "alternative" news sources do you read?

Atlantic yes, guardian some, rolling Stone very rarely. The economist is a must read for anyone serious about understanding the world IMO. Worth the subscription price.

Salon sometimes. Reason.com for libertarian views. Sometimes Cato but it has become less libertarian and more "trash the democrats and Obama".

Bloomberg and WSJ for business news but I don't spend a lot of time on those.

Check out strongtowns.org for some really cool thinking on urban planning.

I just wanted to bump this b/c of the good info provided by 923..and so i can more easily reference it in the future.

I think that the ACC would be on the outside looking in. Definitely conference #5 when it comes to Football. ESPN had a preseason special on the other night and they covered the Big 4 conferences first. ACC coverage came on near the end of program in slot #5.

Isn't Hatch on record saying that Wake would never pay its student athletes?

Don't think so anymore. ACC being in the Sunbelt is slowly leaving the Big 10 behind because of recruiting. Kids don't want to go up north in the cold to go to school & play football. Colin Cowherd did a good summation of this earlier this year on his show and correlated it to the Rust Belt and the Electoral College changes over the past 40 years. For instance article in the paper today said NC is now # 9 in total population. Workers & companies are leaving the north for better worker laws and no unions! Most all the college football players being recruited are from the Sunbelt states--Florida, Texas, Cal
Ga, etc. SEC, Big-12, Pac-10, ACC , then Big 10. With the exception of Ohio St & Oregon, the rest of the power base these days are from the South. (With a few exceptions every now & then like Mich St)

Back