• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Was Bin Laden killing legal?

While I agree with your conclusion, you are over simplifying the situation drastically. There is a lot of debate on the subject and writing a paper about it doesn't prove your position.

I'm sorry that I summarized my 30+ page paper in two sentences. The short answer is yes. The long answer is more complex.

That article is a somewhat decent summary, but takes a decidedly European perspective on what is and isn't legal in international law. Most American scholars tend to be more conservative in saying things are prohibited by international law than their European counterparts.

(And yes, international law is absolutely law.)

You're right Euro Pussies. It was an illegal action. In fact I would simply love it if any top Al Queda members came forward to press for legal action on OBL's behalf. Just let us know the place and time and we'll meet you there.

That article is a somewhat decent summary, but takes a decidedly European perspective on what is and isn't legal in international law. Most American scholars tend to be more conservative in saying things are prohibited by international law than their European counterparts.

Which has more clout, international law or the US's immigration policies?

According to a lot of jurisprudence law only exists if it enforced.

If there is one thing getting an LLM in international and comparative law has taught me it is that it doesn't exist to the extent a lot people like to think it does. It def exists in some circumstances and can be good (private international law is way more readily accepted for example), but it is also way less clear than a lot of people think.

If there is one thing getting an LLM in international and comparative law has taught me it is that it doesn't exist to the extent a lot people like to think it does. It def exists in some circumstances and can be good (private international law is way more readily accepted for example), but it is also way less clear than a lot of people think.

Come on, seriously? It doesn't exist like many people think because it has a completely different structure than domestic laws and doesn't have nearly as effective enforcement. That being said, only a small minority of scholars would argue that it doesn't exist. Even some of the most extreme scholars would say that treaty law is definitely law.

Shockingly, it appears folks on Fox News, Shep Smith and Napolitano, think it was illegal:

Speaking to Fox News' Catherine Herridge, Smith was discussing the various reports about the intelligence that led to Bin Laden. At one point, he asked Herridge, "is anyone talking about the fact that this is illegal, this operation was illegal, or is that a matter that's going to be left for another day?"

Herridge said no one had discussed it with her.

Smith is not the only Fox host to raise questions about the operation's legality. Fox Business anchor Andrew Napolitano explicitly called the killing illegal on his Monday show, saying it violated the Constitution and several treaties.

Shep Smith is a registered Democrat, fyi.

who gives a shit if it was "illegal"? i'm sure all the people who dont like how we handled this are sleeping a little better at night with their lilly white clean hands.

Don't know, and don't care. My only objection or complaint to anything Obama, et al, did regarding Bin Laden is that they didn't put his head on a spike at Ground Zero for the birds, like the reprobate pirate he was, and they didn't throw the rest of his body into a hog lot.

Back