• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Was that the most overhyped weather event of all time?

The media (and Skins) don't care about Eastern NC.

And part of this is because Skins is desperate to call anything in DC besides the Redskins overhyped.

Last edited:
The flash flood death in soutern Jersey was in the county I grew up in. There's nothing in that county would make me think there could ever be a flood or a death as a result of it. Musta been a shitton of rain.

Wow, edited to say turns out she was from my hometown (of 4000). Was driving on the road I grew up in, guess water swept her away and filled up her car not 100 yards from the place I worked at a few summers. She got a 911 call off at 2AM, they found her at 9AM. We got like 2 policeman in my hometown, not a place to be screwed at 2AM.

This thing was no more than a small stream

Last edited:
The media (and Skins) don't care about Eastern NC.

And part of this is because Skins is desperate to call anything in DC besides the Redskins overhyped.

No, a Cat 1/2 hurricane hitting and doing a little bit of damage to barrier islands should not be a 48 hr news event.

I'd rather the media overhype it and people over prepare for it than for it to go the other way and people die because they were caught off guard. Plus, the storm basically sat on top of NC for 12 hours. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but that's going to be little solace for people who had their homes end up underwater. I will say, though, that it was annoying how it seemed most people only cared about the welfare of NYC over the welfare of those in NC and VA where the effect was going to be felt the hardest.

I'd rather the media overhype it and people over prepare for it than for it to go the other way and people die because they were caught off guard. Plus, the storm basically sat on top of NC for 12 hours. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but that's going to be little solace for people who had their homes end up underwater. I will say, though, that it was annoying how it seemed most people only cared about the welfare of NYC over the welfare of those in NC and VA where the effect was going to be felt the hardest.

What will be interesting is next time there is a serious threat -- after all the hype for this, and the relative amount of damage done, I feel like it will be much more difficult to get people motivate to evacuate or move in the face of anything else.

100% true. Would you have preferred the weathermen to be right and your town destroyed? Hurricanes are very hit or miss, but you can't sit in front of one and hope for a miss.

No, a Cat 1/2 hurricane hitting and doing a little bit of damage to barrier islands should not be a 48 hr news event.

Barrier islands? Are you serious? My hometown is just over a hour east of Raleigh and got hit hard.

Seems to me it was a bit more than some barrier island damage. My parents in Richmond (WELL inland) had multiple large trees down in their neighborhood and most of Richmond was/is without power.

And have you seen the videos from Vermont and that area? Lots of bridges out, tons of flooding. 20+ people dead overall.

It may not have hit NYC as predicted and I think you could argue that it was perhaps "overhyped" for NYC and DC, but not elsewhere.

Paraphrasing Skins: "Irene did not seriously impact me so it was overhyped." Eastern NC says hello. When the full damage reports come in, you will see some big numbers.

For those saying the storm wasn't overhyped... I'm still not hearing any evidence to convince me otherwise. Trees down, some flooding, power lost for some peeps... ok that's normal shit for a hurricane. Not to mention how all the northeast hype was way overblown.

OVERHYPED

Hurricane Andrew had 26 direct deaths contributed to it, Irene crurently has 21 on wikipedia and that may still be growing.

WGAF if it was a 48 hour news event? You're just pissed they extended NBC Nightly News by 30 minutes and you missed Jeopardy on Saturday night.

This thread topic is Skins' worldview in a nutshell. Pretty funny.

Back