• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Was that the most overhyped weather event of all time?

This picture is kinda awesome
enhanced-buzz-3749-1314633337-6.jpg

Billy Stinson comforts his daughter, Erin, as they sit on the steps where their cottage once stood in Nags Head, North Carolina.

Erin was my wife's college roommate - my wife has stayed at that house several times. Mr. and Mrs. Stinson were both public school teachers at my high school and genuinely terrific people. I really hate that their cottage, a historic landmark and one of the first vacation homes ever built in Nags Head, was destroyed by Irene. The Stinsons had owned it for over 40 years. You just don't replace something like that.

Just in NC, 1100 homes destroyed and $70 million in damages. Not overhyped to me and certainly not to the folks who lost those homes.

^ You have a way about you that is abrasive and annoying.

Interesting that you say that with an avatar of Simon Cowell.

Sorry my analysis was disagreeable to several people here. I figured as someone with experience in both weather and media, I might be able to add something, fill in some gaps.

I saw some (to me) obvious problems with Silver's work, and obviously some other people did too, from the looks of his comments section.

I also felt there were some objectivity issues, not the least of which being that the story was published on a major east coast media outlet's Web site.

Again, I apologize. Henceforth I'll be willing to let people on this board believe whatever they want, regardless of how incorrect, incomplete, misleading or otherwise flawed my experience tells me it is.

Erin was my wife's college roommate - my wife has stayed at that house several times. Mr. and Mrs. Stinson were both public school teachers at my high school and genuinely terrific people. I really hate that their cottage, a historic landmark and one of the first vacation homes ever built in Nags Head, was destroyed by Irene. The Stinsons had owned it for over 40 years. You just don't replace something like that.

Being completely honest, I can't believe it took that long. There have been close to 200 tropical cyclones impact North Carolina since 1950. Some were much stronger than this one. Odd that this was the time it happened. Wonder if there were some other issues that caused it to go this time.

Interesting that you say that with an avatar of Simon Cowell.

Sorry my analysis was disagreeable to several people here. I figured as someone with experience in both weather and media, I might be able to add something, fill in some gaps.

I saw some (to me) obvious problems with Silver's work, and obviously some other people did too, from the looks of his comments section.

I also felt there were some objectivity issues, not the least of which being that the story was published on a major east coast media outlet's Web site.

Again, I apologize. Henceforth I'll be willing to let people on this board believe whatever they want, regardless of how incorrect, incomplete, misleading or otherwise flawed my experience tells me it is.

Clearly the answer to douchiness is insincere and sarcastic yet unfunny "apologies.". Well done jackass.

Being completely honest, I can't believe it took that long. There have been close to 200 tropical cyclones impact North Carolina since 1950. Some were much stronger than this one. Odd that this was the time it happened. Wonder if there were some other issues that caused it to go this time.

The issue that caused it to go was the extreme soundside flooding caused by the storm. Water from the sounds rose to levels that no one can remember seeing before.

The issue that caused it to go was the extreme soundside flooding caused by the storm. Water from the sounds rose to levels that no one can remember seeing before.

Hmm, interesting. Might have to look a little more into the storm and its track.

I will say leading up to the storm that I said I thought it had Floyd-like potential in terms of rainfall for NC, and that appears to have been in the ballpark throughout the east coast. That being the case, it would appear I misspoke with regard to the eventual significance of the storm, as we all know how significant Floyd was.

So on that particular point I apologize to those who may have taken that personally, or felt it insulting to someone or another's plight in the aftermath.

I still think Silver's analysis was quite mediocre, and still think the coverage for the northeast was overblown. Vermont floods whether there's a hurricane or not, so that doesn't really do that much for me. This is the third major disaster declared flooding event there this year.

One more appropriate measure Silver might have used is the Hurricane Severity Index, which basically takes the size of the wind field along with the wind velocity to come up with a strength rating for the storm. It rates Hugo I believe tied for the second most severe storm ever, behind 1961's Carla.

Last edited:
I'd say in terms of overhyped, the Noah flood wins hands down because its complete bullshit.

My brother still doesn't have power in Richmond. He's been sleeping on his floor downstairs because it's so hot in the upstairs.

My brother still doesn't have power in Richmond. He's been sleeping on his floor downstairs because it's so hot in the upstairs.

Trying to sleep when it's hot and you can't make it any cooler, is the worst. Well not the worst, but it really does suck.

Yep, my parents are still out. Were out for 13 days in Isabel, so hopefully this one ends up being shorter. I heard Dominion is down to "only" 89,000 without power currently, so they are supposed to restore most, if not all, by tomorrow.

Trying to sleep when it's hot and you can't make it any cooler, is the worst. Well not the worst, but it really does suck.

it's the worst. I was home from Wake summer of 05 and when Dennis hit in July we were without power for nearly 2 weeks. awful when you spend the days outside working and come inside for a break and it's hotter in the house than out. thankfully we invested in a couple of window unit ACs which we ran with the generator at night.

Just got power back yesterday. Neighbors across the street had power 2 days before me.

I'm sure they're perfectly nice people but I called them assholes while getting into my car for two days.

Back