• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Washington, DC Deacs

For dinner restaurants out where you are staying, there are some good restaurants at Reston Town Center (in Reston) including Uncle Julio's (Mexican); Il Fornaio (Italian) and Jacksons (American). Sweetwater Tavern is another good option (the Drunkin Rib Eye is amazing). In D.C., Ben's Chili Bowl has great Half Smokes with Chili and is a famous dive (although its a bit of a long cab ride from the Mall area.)

it's delicious, but not really close to ANYTHING. there is a metro stop right nearby, though, so it's got that going for it.

Ben's Chili Bowl is like the Varsity...no one really goes except to take out of town guests. it's not near anything unless you want to hit some U St bars, but that doesn't sound like the type of trip you're on.

though I will admit I get it often at Nats games

it's like 2 miles from where he'll be. it's a pretty cool area to check out. ledroit, the howard theatre, etc. it's probs too cool for a family doing touristy things, but that's the type of area i always try to walk around when i visit a city. granted i try to walk the entire city of like any city i visit to see all the diff neighborhoods which is out of play for them. i love the walk up 14th st from the mall.

it's like 2 miles from where he'll be. it's a pretty cool area to check out. ledroit, the howard theatre, etc. it's probs too cool for a family doing touristy things, but that's the type of area i always try to walk around when i visit a city. granted i try to walk the entire city of like any city i visit to see all the diff neighborhoods which is out of play for them. i love the walk up 14th st from the mall.

i agree with you and also really like the area it's in; the statement "it's not close to ANYTHING" is in reference to the main DC touristy things (aka: the mall)

yeah but honestly I think if you're bringing in kids and stuff and are having trouble getting around you probably want to stick to the Mall area

for a guy with admitted mobility problems and whole family in tow, it's not exactly what i'd put as #1 priority MUST GO.

no doubt, and i said that. my issue was saying it is NOWHERE near that stuff. it's closer to the washington monument than skippy's is to wake.

I've been to DC once in my life...and was on the front page of the Washington Post

I am awesome.

Thanks again to all of you for your advice. We leave tomorrow morning to go to DC. We are excited for this trip. You guys are great!

#DEACONFANSIN
#BUZZOUT
#WELLMANWAAAYOUT

Other than the Mall, I would definitely check out M Street in Georgetown. I just think its a really interesting place to walk around and check out the shopping. Plus, there are plenty of parking garages in the area.

should be in full in the next week or so. I can't speak to the Tidal Basin, but I walk through Stanton Park every day, which has a ton of trees, and the buds are just starting to show now.

Well, as we traveled from Ohio my son started feeling feverish. My wife (RN) gave him meds to cool him down. Then his abdomen started hurting. So before we checked into our hotel we went to an urgent care in Herndon. That doctor immediately sent us to Children's Nat'l Medical Center. They comforted him thru the night but suspect appendicitis & have ordered a CT scan. If confirmed they will perform an appendectomy. So we wait here at CNMC hoping for the best but expecting surgery, another night in the hospital, and most likely a rescheduling of our trip.

Shall I say we've been Bzdeliked?

Back