• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Washington

socaldeac

Reaction score
I just watch basketball and do not coach it. Someone explain to me why Washington is not getting 20 minutes a game. He seems to have decent touch and would be a bigger body down low to change shots and possible get some rebounds. We get killed with regards to rebounds on the O and D side of the ball.

Wouldn't his size be of value even if he was super aggressive and fouled out every game???

One would think he will start to get more minutes after how badly we have been getting killed on the glass lately but he has a long ways to go to be a major contributor.

I liked what I saw from Washington today, and I am not his biggest fan. Had a beautiful jump hook, and it would have been worth it for a little while to see what he could have done against Miller (who was just killing Devin). There isn't 20 minutes a game to be had when you have Moto, Cav, and Devin all playing big minutes, but I agree he should have received a longer look tonight.

The reality is that he is probably the worst rebounder out of the 4 players we play in the post, so I am not sure he would have helped on the boards...but it would have been interesting to see if he could have affected Miller's shot.

I wouldn't mind seeing he and Thomas playing together some. Give it a shot at least.

With the current line up the rebound margin is horrific. Not to mention all the easy putbacks. I would think Washington just standing their with his arms up would make it harder to make baskets. If I was picking a team I would rather have him then CAV.

The issue with Dre is his poor (slow) footwork and lack of physical strength. He has decent touch for a big, but gets exposed when he plays more extended minutes. He brings a different look given his size, but does not have the skill set to be effective for protracted minutes at this level.

The issue with Dre is his poor (slow) footwork and lack of physical strength. He has decent touch for a big, but gets exposed when he plays more extended minutes. He brings a different look given his size, but does not have the skill set to be effective for protracted minutes at this level.

As I watch Dre play this year, I'm struck by the fact that his footwork just hasn't gotten any better. Did the staff just not work with him at all? Was/Is he so raw that what we're seeing is marked improvement?

The worst part about it is that, from my understanding, footwork can be coached, on the one hand, and practiced, on the other. I just hope whoever we hire thinks it's worthwhile to push Dre to develop in this capacity.

When he is on the floor the team looks better to me with him than without.

With the current line up the rebound margin is horrific. Not to mention all the easy putbacks. I would think Washington just standing their with his arms up would make it harder to make baskets. If I was picking a team I would rather have him then CAV.

You would be wrong.

Dre has not shown to be a particularly good defensive rebounder. Him playing more wouldn't fix our issues on the glass.

He only has rebounded 13.7% of the opponents misses when he has been on the floor. Not a good number for a center.

He needs a giant dose of attitude. That is his problem.

Dre has not shown to be a particularly good defensive rebounder. I doubt him playing more would fix our issues on the glass.

He only has rebounded 13.7% of the opponents misses when he has been on the floor. Not a good number for a center.

I didnt know the stats, but that confirms my opinion of watching him. He is a pretty poor rebounder. His size is somewhat his disadvantage. He is a half step slower than everyone else to the ball, and 7'0" doesn't matter if you can't get underneath the ball.

As I watch Dre play this year, I'm struck by the fact that his footwork just hasn't gotten any better. Did the staff just not work with him at all? Was/Is he so raw that what we're seeing is marked improvement?

The worst part about it is that, from my understanding, footwork can be coached, on the one hand, and practiced, on the other. I just hope whoever we hire thinks it's worthwhile to push Dre to develop in this capacity.

I think his footwork may be better than it looks because he gets pushed off the spot consistently. Hard to maintain. Needs lower body strength improvement.

It should be noted that [Redacted] coaches the big men.

I think his footwork may be better than it looks because he gets pushed off the spot consistently. Hard to maintain. Needs lower body strength improvement.

That he gets pushed off the spot consistently doesn't have much bearing on the fact that his footwork looks really slow and mechanical. I agree with you - getting stronger will help things, but I think the point stands that, even when he gets stronger, he'll have to have better footwork to get better looks in the post.

Dre is not good enough to play more than spot minutes...period. As far as rebounding goes, he is of no help because he tries to block every shot that's put up, which puts him out of position for a rebound. I hope to be proven wrong over the next two years, but I can't see him ever being more than a spot player.

When I complained 2 years ago that the current sophmore class was barely average, I mentioned that good recruiting classes had future NBA players in it. A certain insider stated he was comfortable Andre Washington would be an NBA player.

Umm, no.

When I complained 2 years ago that the current sophmore class was barely average, I mentioned that good recruiting classes had future NBA players in it. A certain insider stated he was comfortable Andre Washington would be an NBA player.

Umm, no.

What? This can't be serious...... Although I have been told CJ Harris was a 2nd round pick, Ari was a draft pick, CMM will be gone after 3 years on this board so nothing should surprise me.

I just watch basketball and do not coach it. Someone explain to me why Washington is not getting 20 minutes a game. He seems to have decent touch and would be a bigger body down low to change shots and possible get some rebounds. We get killed with regards to rebounds on the O and D side of the ball.

Wouldn't his size be of value even if he was super aggressive and fouled out every game???

Really, he is not ready physically yet.

Back