• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Watching these teams, players, and coaches

slickdeac

Reaction score
It makes me miss--and long-- for '04-'06 times in the ACC. Those years were absolutely fantastic, and I felt like I knew each player, coach, and team very well. I miss when the top teams were like this:

WFU: CP, Gray, Big E, Levy, Downey, Strickland, ect
Duke: Sheldon, Reddick, Duhon
UNC: May, McCants, Felton
Tech: Elder, Jarrett Jack, Schincher, Ishmal someone who was a dunk guy

I know a lot of this is because of players leaving early, and a new crop of (mediocre) coaches, and a down era in the ACC, but I just want this again! I want to be playing UVA or someone random and know the starting lineup and feel like I know who they are. I have no feel for anyone's team outside of the top teams. Sad.

Understand, I love our current players. With a new coach, I think this team can be very solid next year, and terrific two years from now. But this is not a buzzout thread...thought it would be nice to switch it up and talk about another aspect of wake basketball ha.

Go back another 10 years. Duncan Chill Stackhouse Wallace McGiness Hill McIntyre Harpring Joe Smith Burrough Deane Staples and on and on.

The Clemson teams that finished 6th or 7th out of 9 in 94-96 would be damn good in this ACC.

A bit later but an Ed Scott/Will Solo-Man backcourt would be dominant nowadays.

Several bad Clemson teams would be top tier now.

Last edited:
90s were the halcyon years. Deacs were good too when the league was at its best. I'm proud/happy to have been a student then.

Hell, Bzdelick could almost make you miss the Staak years. At least they won a few ACCT games. And the guy had passion.

Hell, Bzdelick could almost make you miss the Staak years. At least they won a few ACCT games. And the guy had passion.

In 1987, Wake beat 2nd seed Clemson in the ACC Tourney, then lost in double overtime to NC State. In 1988, Wake beat #17 NC State and then a week later beat #3 UNC.
The current Wake coach has never done anything close to this.

Back