• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We definitely need more money in politics

Honestly Bake, do you think that the rich are going to be stopped from using their money to buy political influence if political parties and their election campaigns are funded by tax money?

stopped? no. not running as wild without restraint like they are now? yes.

I'm not even talking about running campaigns with tax money, really. Sounds better to me, but I'm talking about the linked article and lifting limits. I don't like Citizens United and I don't like this. Those decisions throw gasoline on what you have pointed out is a fucked up situation anyway.

Last edited:
Honestly Bake, do you think that the rich are going to be stopped from using their money to buy political influence if political parties and their election campaigns are funded by tax money?

If we had totally publicly funded federal elections, their influence would be greatly diminished.

Very true. Without the full faith and credit of the US Government a lot of Wall Street would be unemployed right now.

Yep. How many news reports lead off with something like, "Stocks plummeted today after reports that Fed chairman Ben Bernanke coughed during a 12:30 lunch at Chez Fancy. Declines come after a strong week of gains on the heels of Bernanke smiling and laughing earlier in the week."

Yep. How many news reports lead off with something like, "Stocks plummeted today after reports that Fed chairman Ben Bernanke coughed during a 12:30 lunch at Chez Fancy. Declines come after a strong week of gains on the heels of Bernanke smiling and laughing earlier in the week."

His is a great point and one that most pubs don't like to admit. I know you bring it up a lot but it is salient. Racer and the other libertarians are right. Neither party wants small government. We just want different big government.

I have a feeling as I grow older I will become more libertarian. It is difficult to deny their logic.

Back