• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We have a chance to be a pretty good football team...

Whitlock is a baller. He also saved the game on the last play. Agree we need to get other D-line healthy--that will help a lot....BUT our secondary has no excuse for allowing a receiver to get behind them on 4th and 10. WTF is going on with those guys?

It's way too early to tell how good we'll be but we'll probably meet most preseason predictions of 4-6 wins...

I'll be satisfied with meeting the expectation of 6 wins. Seeing how we played today, I think that it is possible.

What I've seen so far is a D that is going to keep most opponents under 30 points, keep us in games, and an offense that is dangerous, somewhat consistent and well-rounded with a strong line, a very good QB, a very good RB and very good WRs.

I too think we have a pretty good football team. We need to be more aware in the secondary that would slow up those fourth quarter comebacks.

well at least we know we're in for some good entertaining shoot outs this year with a potentn offense and a weak defense. we'll be throwing it 40 times a game on average this season, and a lot more deep down field throws than we did with riley. some games will go our way and some wont but all should be fun. it's possible we have a 6-6 season although 5 win might be more likely.

ob

Call me a homer but I would not be shocked if this team is playing in Miami in january. Bc is a coin flip game. If we get some mo going before fsu and they are wounded and weary after ou and Clemson tussles we have a decent shot at home. 3-0 in division would set us up for a conference championship game run.

The squad is extremely talented. Not without shortcomings, but capable of running with the top teams. The beauty of college football is that so much depends on a couple random bounces in a few key spots. I wouldn't book my Miami hotel yet. But I also wouldn't plan a trip to australia early january either. Go deacs!

Call me a homer but I would not be shocked if this team is playing in Miami in january. Bc is a coin flip game. If we get some mo going before fsu and they are wounded and weary after ou and Clemson tussles we have a decent shot at home. 3-0 in division would set us up for a conference championship game run.

The squad is extremely talented. Not without shortcomings, but capable of running with the top teams. The beauty of college football is that so much depends on a couple random bounces in a few key spots. I wouldn't book my Miami hotel yet. But I also wouldn't plan a trip to australia early january either. Go deacs!

Secondary just seems to weak or too easily fooled at this point to go that far. There's no doubt that our O is potent, heck it's most of the same guys from last year but they all seemed to have stepped up their games. Our WR speed is crazy this year, and the ones that aren't especially fast are big targets. Love to see what Danny Dembry has brought so far.

Grobe said in the post game how much he likes Dembry and is really pleased he's found himself and is bringing it now. Said Dembry is a very high character kid who might have lacked confidence early on, but has found it and is now a solid contributor.

If Newman can stay consistent, and Kinal can find his form, we'll be decent in special teams. Our kickoff coverage this year has been very poor so far though.

Would love to see this team be bowl-bound and have a winning season. That would restore confidence that our coaches know what the heck they're doing. The previous 19 games had brought some doubt about that into the equation.

I think our number one issue is depth. A lot of our mistakes come from being worn down late in the game because the second-string guys aren't good enough yet to get many snaps at most positions.

My Deacs are becoming HAIRY !

As Promised.:thumbsup:

I really hope Wake goes bowling this year but I'm not holding my breath.

3 things have got to get better for us to even have a shot a sniffing a bowl in my opinion:

Secondary
Special Teams
Our depth issues

Secondary not as bad as most think, problem there is no pass rush pressure on opposing QB, heck I could make some of those throws if I am not under pressure.

We are not good on defense. No consistent pressure on the QB, and a DL that either gets penetration against the run or gets blown off of the ball. We have at least 1 LB who should never be in on passing downs because of a complete inability to cover anybody. Secondary has some bite, but is still vunerable.

Our O, however, is pretty solid. The OL gets a solid A for pass protection, and probably a B- for the running game. WR has been a position of strength, and Price has played well (although with a chance to be even better). 90+% of the playcalling has been great, which is the first time we have reached that rare air since probably 2003.

Kicking game is, well let's just leave that out for right now.

Schedule being what it is, my guess is the Syracuse game keeps us from a bowl. Beat BC, G-W, Duke and Vandy. Shit the bed against FSU, Maryland and VT, lose a competitive game against ND, and then fuck up wins against UNC and Clemson.

In other words, business as usual.

I just saw that BC lost 30-3 at UCF yesterday. Wow. I also saw some of their game against Northwestern when I was in Boston last weekend, and they were pretty unimpressive. That will definitely be a road game we'll need to win.

I hope that getting Ramon Booi back will help shore up the run defense in the center of the line--we actually got better there in the second half yesterday after struggling a little in the first. It seemed like we did a better job of getting in front of the backs and driving them backward rather than tackling them falling forward (and giving up and extra 2-3 yards in the process).

We're also going to need better tackling in the secondary. I'm still seeing too many defensive backs take bad routes to the football and overrunning plays. There is definitely room for improvement there.

When is Ramon Booi back? We desperately need another big body on the D Line. What about Antonio Ford? I'd love to see him moved to the defensive side of the ball.

Our defense is great quarters 1-3. We just ned to improve the 4th quarter D

!
You're a homer. That said, we are much better than last year, but not quite in a position to win a lot of games comfortably. Coming into the season, I figured we would have more close games, though the win total wouldn't improve much. We are doing that so far and at 1-1 we still have a shot at a bowl game.

Last edited:
Gosh, many more games like today and my buddy PhDeac will be miserable, I mean with all the good playcalling and coaching...lol

Back