• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We Have The Personnel, We Don't Have The Coach: WAKE UP RONNY

Couldn't agree with you more.. Wake played great last night and the atmosphere was surprisingly good. Rebounding was still poor but better. You can fault the coach for a lot of stuff but last night was on the players. He can't dribble the ball for them. CMM was getting turned over repeatedly..

The atmosphere was good, but I can't help but think that the decent turnout was because of the 200+ Boy Scouts and their families that were required to be in attendance for half time...

More than that if they try.

No, the really pathetic thing is that K wil show mercy on us and keep it around 25. He uses Wake now as a way to show his "benevolence."

He knows the true Wake fans understand exactly what he is doing and he loves sticking it to us and then twisting.

Sad, sad, sad.

I want to take small issue with 1 of Numbers' original premises. We have better personnel than we had because many of the freshmen have promise to be ACC level contributors. But we sorely lack a big. That should have been apparent to any untrained eye before the season started and is becoming painfully more evident now. So who has Buzzdick inked for next season? Another 2 and another 3 when we already have CMM, Rountree, Fischer, Moto and McKie at those positions for next year, assuming everyone stays. That's just poor planning. It's fine getting 1 other wing, but he desperately needed a big for this class and has not gotten 1.

My 2nd issue with our personnel is their level of talent. The only player on this team with anything close to star potential is McKie, and he hasn't reached it. We can debate whether that's Travis' or Buzzdick's fault, or both, but it is what it is. Either way, Travis wasn't even a Buzzdick recruit. Of this year's freshmen, I can see CMM becoming a legit 2G/lead G and develop into a double digit scorer, but I haven't seen any flashes to make be believe he's going to be an all-ACC performer. Thomas may become a serviceable starting level PF with time but is overmatched now. Moto and Rountree I like in terms of athleticism and defensive potential, but they have a long way to go to be consistent double digit scorers. Madison Jones is a pleasant surprise, and I'm already comfortable with him getting minutes at the point, but he has a long way to go as a shooter, especially from the line, before you'd want to say you're cool with him being a starting ACC PG.

The point, Numbers, is this class has added a lot of nice pieces to the puzzle. If they were being coached by a competent coach, they'd certainly be able to compete with Clemson, Maryland, UVA, VT and Miami. But even then, they'd at best be a bubble team. Again, I like the pieces, but you have to land a top-50 player at least every other year, if not every year, if you want to have a top-25 program and have a chance at competing for ACC titles. These guys with Brad Brownell would still lose to Dick by 20-30, just like Brad Brownell will with his guys this year. In addition to Buzzdick lowering our expectations for actual performance, I believe he has lowered our expectations as to what an acceptable level of talent is in order to compete in the upper division of the ACC. Jim Boeheim will make that more apparent next year. Low 4*s and high 3*s are a great way to fill out rosters, but rarely are they a great way to get you the star power you need to compete for ACC titles.

I've said plenty of times on here I think Bzz should be fired.

I'm just objective enough not to blame everything on him. To say that the players can't be blamed at all when they make mistakes and that it's 100% the coach's fault is just as head in the sand and obtuse as someone saying [Redacted] "just needs more time" or something. I've praised the freshmen plenty for their hustle, and I said not only this year but two years ago that expectations can't be that high because no matter how talented our freshmen may be, they're going to have ups and downs because that's the nature of being a young player in high-major DI ball.

But plain and simple, Chase should have known when he caught that ball to either hold on to it and wait for the foul or call timeout.

Chase should have never been on the court in that situation.

And even though I'm a big fan of Madison's, until his ft shooting improves significantly there is no reason he should be on the court when you know the other team is going to foul.

That's major coach fail right there.

Chase should have never been on the court in that situation.

And even though I'm a big fan of Madison's, until his ft shooting improves significantly there is no reason he should be on the court when you know the other team is going to foul.

That's major coach fail right there.

Why not? There were less than 35 seconds left and we were up 1. They had to foul. Having Chase on the court was a no-brainer.

Because Chase is not an adequate ball handler at this point in his career and as evidenced by Saturday night can't handle pressure situations. I really like Chase, but his only value right now is when left wide open behind the arc. His ft% may be good, but if he gets the ball in that situation and you're the other team you do exactly what Seton Hall did: you don't fall immediately and force him to make a mistake.

I've said plenty of times on here I think Bzz should be fired.

I'm just objective enough not to blame everything on him. To say that the players can't be blamed at all when they make mistakes and that it's 100% the coach's fault is just as head in the sand and obtuse as someone saying [Redacted] "just needs more time" or something. I've praised the freshmen plenty for their hustle, and I said not only this year but two years ago that expectations can't be that high because no matter how talented our freshmen may be, they're going to have ups and downs because that's the nature of being a young player in high-major DI ball.

But plain and simple, Chase should have known when he caught that ball to either hold on to it and wait for the foul or call timeout.

No one is saying that the players don't have responsibility here but Coach simply hung these kids out to dry. Once things started to unravel no adjsutments were made to beat the press in a different way; Once the press was broken our offensive set was a 4 corners looking monstrosity that led to standing around until the clock ran down or turning it over dribbling too much; their press was texbook and in the last 30 seconds with the clock off, only needing to get the ball up court Coach didn't call time out and set a play to get the ball in the middle to CJ; he had a Freshman taking it out when it should have been Travis; and the set had CJ across the court from the inbounds which dictated throwing it in the corner to Chase. Add to that his clear inablilty to teach rebounding which we have witnessed for 3 years you have a situation that we can no longer tolerate. Terrible and I told him so after the game.

I think Chase has actually been pretty good in situations like that so far in his career (not in terms of the time and score, but in terms of the basketball context). He made a dumb play, but I'd say also an aberrant one.

No one is saying that the players don't have responsibility here but Coach simply hung these kids out to dry. Once things started to unravel no adjsutments were made to beat the press in a different way; Once the press was broken our offensive set was a 4 corners looking monstrosity that led to standing around until the clock ran down or turning it over dribbling too much; their press was texbook and in the last 30 seconds with the clock off, only needing to get the ball up court Coach didn't call time out and set a play to get the ball in the middle to CJ; he had a Freshman taking it out when it should have been Travis; and the set had CJ across the court from the inbounds which dictated throwing it in the corner to Chase. Add to that his clear inablilty to teach rebounding which we have witnessed for 3 years you have a situation that we can no longer tolerate. Terrible and I told him so after the game.

That's a heck of a first post. Pos-rep, 82.

Anyone remember VCU in 2010? They said that with time and different players we would be better against the press. Guess they were wrong.

What I recall of that game is that it was fairly neck and neck until Shaka called up the press. Then we were screwed.

Anyone remember VCU in 2010? They said that with time and different players we would be better against the press. Guess they were wrong.

What I recall of that game is that it was fairly neck and neck until Shaka called up the press. Then we were screwed.

Yep, I was at that game. We went on a 7-0 run to take a 53-49 lead with about 14:00 to go in the game, forcing Shaka to call a timeout. VCU came out of the timeout with their full court press, and it was over. It was the most dramatic swing in a game I have ever seen. They went on a 41-16 run throughout the rest of the game to win 90-69. This was the moment I became #bzzout for life.

Yep, I was at that game. We went on a 7-0 run to take a 53-49 lead with about 14:00 to go in the game, forcing Shaka to call a timeout. VCU came out of the timeout with their full court press, and it was over. It was the most dramatic swing in a game I have ever seen. They went on a 41-16 run throughout the rest of the game to win 90-69. This was the moment I became #bzzout for life.

holy crap I had blocked that game out of my memory.

Those who ignore history are damned to repeat it.

I've blocked a lot of these games out of my memory. It's just a haze of agony turned into apathy.

Back