• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We lost another Great Deac today

olddeac

Reaction score
Barbara Brown, class of '54, attended the old campus and lettered in five sports including winning the old "Big Four" golf tourney in 1954. She was mentored/coached by hall of famers, Marge Crisp and Dot Casey, and remained in old Wake Forest and had a 31 year career in education and athletics. Her career was highlighted by 17 straight undefeated seasons in volleyball and track and field and being named the first female athletic director in North Carolina. Her son, Mike, was my teammate on the golf team at Wake and we hope her grandson, Zach, is a future Deacon golfer!

The family will receive visitors from 6:30-8:30 on Wednesday January 29th at Bright Funeral Home on South Main Street in Wake Forest and a celebration of her life will be at the original Wait Chapel (now Binkley Chapel) at Southeastern Seminary campus (the old Wake Forest campus) at 2:00 on Thursday January 30th.

Sounds like a great lady and family; thanks for sharing.
I remember going to "the old campus" for the first time some years after graduating, and being struck at how much it reminds you of the Reynolda campus: similar "quad" layout and familiar names of buildings. I hope to go back one day and include a tour of the WFU (or was it WFC then?) museum, which I understand is well worth a visit.

Hate to hear that. Sadly, we are slowly approaching the day when the last student from the old campus passes away. Even though it was sad news, good to hear from you olddeac!

Back