• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We should hire John Currie as our next AD

I really don't see how this dumpster fire gets hung only on Currie. It appears he would have hired multiple coaches by now if it weren't for the board/Fulmer/boosters- all of which look worse than Currie to me.

That said, if he chose to go after Schiano and DOEREN before Leach, that is troubling.

Yeah but it doesn't have to get hung only on Currie. The question isn't should we hire the Tennessee board/Fulmer/boosters too, it's whether we should hire Currie.

Yeah but it doesn't have to get hung only on Currie. The question isn't should we hire the Tennessee board/Fulmer/boosters too, it's whether we should hire Currie.

He lined up Schiano because it was who the boosters and administration apparently wanted. He got it done. There's no shame in missing on a couple of high profile coaches and then lining up Mike Leach in five days.

If the point is to get rid of the stink of Wellman, why would we hire someone who learned from him?

T0a6RT.gif

Unlike Wellman, Currie actually attended Wake Forest. Sure he worked here and he was awesome. Everyone loved the guy and he was--until this week--one of the most well respected ADs in the country.

Just because we went to Wake Forest and root for the Deacs doesn't mean we like Ron.

He clearly had SOMETHING to do with the debacle. He opted to first go with Schiano, who the fan base didn't think was a good hire, and I doubt Fulmer was able to sabotage the search to an extent that six different coaches turned him down.

Currie loses if for no other reason than nobody will ever forget that Currie was fired as Tennessee AD due to one of the worst hiring debacles in the last couple decades.

I think the more that we find out about Fulmer and his cronies, it will be apparent that Currie was completely hamstrung by this entire process. It's clear that he was not allowed to do the job Tennessee hired him for.

Unlike Wellman, Currie actually attended Wake Forest. Sure he worked here and he was awesome. Everyone loved the guy and he was--until this week--one of the most well respected ADs in the country.

Just because we went to Wake Forest and root for the Deacs doesn't mean we like Ron.

Currie was first AD to embrace social media, which may not mean anything to us oldies, but it shows that he is not stuck in the "good ole boy" ways of doing things that is a problem at Wake. If younger coaches and players can relate to your AD, thats a massive bonus.

Currie was first AD to embrace social media, which may not mean anything to us oldies, but it shows that he is not stuck in the "good ole boy" ways of doing things that is a problem at Wake. If younger coaches and players can relate to your AD, thats a massive bonus.

Wake is currently putting on the all-out social media press to get us in the Belk Bowl. I'm sure we could do a lot more/better stuff throughout the year, but we've gotten a lot better with it.

Currie IN! Even in an associate capacity. Protect your own.

Wake is currently putting on the all-out social media press to get us in the Belk Bowl. I'm sure we could do a lot more/better stuff throughout the year, but we've gotten a lot better with it.

Really good point. And it has gotten much better.

Numbers triples down after his hot take and pretty much all evidence corroborating the Currie was sabotaged. I love it. We need to immediately hire John Currie as some sort of Associate AD and have him be ready when Wellman retires.

Whoa, Currie was there when I was and had the same major and minor. I suspect we had some classes together. Looking at the old yearbooks, he looks kind of familiar, but in the way that every white guy at Wake looks familiar. He was apparently a DKE, and I didn't get out to their house much, particularly after my freshman year.

Seriously, the last guy we hired who was previously scapegoated by Tennessee/Fulmer has worked out pretty well. #CurrieIn

You guys are assuming that Hatch gives a shit about the Athletic Department. If he didn't care about athletics at Notre Dame, what makes you think he does here?

Numbers triples down after his hot take and pretty much all evidence corroborating the Currie was sabotaged. I love it. We need to immediately hire John Currie as some sort of Associate AD and have him be ready when Wellman retires.

I’ve said several times that reality or not, the perception is Currie botched this and he’ll be remembered that way.

I’ve said several times that reality or not, the perception is Currie botched this and he’ll be remembered that way.

Maybe.

But somehow Jeff [Redacted] is now a defensive guru in the NBA in spite of the fact that he was an unmitigated disaster at Wake Forest. It's like those years didn't even exist for the guy.

A change of scenery can do wonders for someone's reputation.

Other than to real insiders, Currie is the likely fall guy. Even if he was sabotaged by Fullmer or others, most are likely to see this concept as a conspiracy theory.

There are two positives about bringing Currie in. The first, which a HUUUUUUUUUGE one, is it gets rid of Wellman. The second is he'll likely have several years before having to make a major revenue sport hire. Danny signed an extension and Clawson is here as long as he wants to be or until a high level P5 job comes calling.

Back