• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weather proof TV ideas

captruss24

Did I mention I'm a South Carolina fan? You know,
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 26 or 32" LCD TV that is weather proof. The TV will be mounted on a wall in our screened porch, so I need to account for humidity, temperature extremes, and some rain hitting the TV. Does anyone have one, and if so, where did you get it?

If you're in a climate similar to NC, just get a cheap open box deal from somewhere. So long as it is inside the screened porch and sheltered from rain, cycling through one of them every couple of years as it craps out is cheaper than trying to weather-proof something.

If you're in a climate similar to NC, just get a cheap open box deal from somewhere. So long as it is inside the screened porch and sheltered from rain, cycling through one of them every couple of years as it craps out is cheaper than trying to weather-proof something.

Agree with this. If you can keep it from rain, it should be fine. Maybe fashion some sort of cover for it when not using. The actual weather proof models are just "To Damn High."

They make TVs for RVs that come on a swivel mount that can mount and dismount. You bring it inside for traveling, and outside for tailgating. Maybe if you got one of those, you could easily bring it inside in the winter/really bad weather and save some wear and tear.

Also, it seems to me that you're going to want some kind of box around whatever you get that you can lock to deter thieves, but maybe you are confident enough in your neighborhood that this isn't a problem. You can weatherproof a box a lot easier and cheaper than you can buy a weatherproof TV.

Also, it seems to me that you're going to want some kind of box around whatever you get that you can lock to deter thieves, but maybe you are confident enough in your neighborhood that this isn't a problem. You can weatherproof a box a lot easier and cheaper than you can buy a weatherproof TV.

This. My uncle has a TV on his dock that is mounted to the inside of a box that is waterproof and lockable. When they're watching TV, they open the box, the TV flips down, and they're good to go. When they go back into the house, they close up the box and they're still good to go. If I were to have a TV outside, that's what I'd do.

You're gonna want to rig up something like this:

pool-power-strip.jpg

They make TVs for RVs that come on a swivel mount that can mount and dismount. You bring it inside for traveling, and outside for tailgating. Maybe if you got one of those, you could easily bring it inside in the winter/really bad weather and save some wear and tear.

Yeah I'm not worried about it being stolen from our neighborhood. The screened porch is next to our deck, which is about 14 feet off the ground (basement lot) and locks from the inside.

I want to be able to mount the TV as flush to the house as possible. Honestly I'm going for a very neat look without a box or swivel. I'll look into a custom cover. I plan on keeping the TV on the porch year round, and just don't want the hassle of taking it down every night.

I've got a normal LCD TV on my screened in porch and it's fine. I bring it inside during the coldest parts of winter when I'm not outside anyway, but otherwise it stays on the porch.

Back