• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

Pretty big improvement in Safari. Apps auto-update now. Search is better. Airdrop is nice. Maps looks great. Overall seems like a solid improvement.

In typical Apple style, you can't configure the Control Center app which is infuriating. I don't need a shortcut to calculator. I do need a shortcut to turn off LTE.

How do you turn the auto update on?

When I hit the App Store post-upgrade it just asked. Probably also in the settings for app store somewhere.

Wanted to like the Moto X but the camera is awful. Seems like every Droid always has one big flaw... Still S4 or HTC One (Verizon) I think...

When I hit the App Store post-upgrade it just asked. Probably also in the settings for app store somewhere.

Wanted to like the Moto X but the camera is awful. Seems like every Droid always has one big flaw... Still S4 or HTC One (Verizon) I think...

Eh, from what I understand about the camera, it's a software problem, not a hardware problem. So Motorola can address it with a software update, or you can just use a third party camera app.

Eh, from what I understand about the camera, it's a software problem, not a hardware problem. So Motorola can address it with a software update, or you can just use a third party camera app.

That's what they always say... But reviews are pretty much universally panning the camera. I haven't seen any updates that say a 3rd party app fixes things.

Hey, look at that. Call blocking is in iOS7. Finally.

7 looks pretty good on the iphone5.

Crashed the first time I d/led it but restored fine after that.

Still had to google a few differences that weren't intuitive though, like how to close background apps.

I dont like the blue dots either.

That's what they always say... But reviews are pretty much universally panning the camera. I haven't seen any updates that say a 3rd party app fixes things.

The MKBHD video I posted above shows him using Camera JB+ on the Moto X and the pictures turn out a lot better (and have a SUPER quick exposure time)

so, I'm the worst OS upgrader ever.
My macbook is at least 3 versions behind, and I don't know what OS I've got on my phone right now. I don't think I've upgraded it since I got it in February of 2012. What do I need to do, other than let it go to town with updates tonight?

I don't like how you can't set a horizontal picture as your background. It zooms waaaay in.

Here we go. Motorola rolling out an OTA update that dramatically improves camera performance. And you know it's good if those are Anandtech's words. They are not really prone to hyperbole like other tech blogs.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7353/moto-x-update-dramatically-improves-camera-quality

These side by sides are pretty absurd:

Not updated:
4-NotUpdated_575px.jpg

Updated:
4-Updated_575px.jpg

Not a fan of the unified search bar. Having a dedicated google search bar was much easier and didn't result in accidentally refreshing, selecting, and/or copying your URL.

These side by sides are pretty absurd:
Meh. Looks like they just jacked the contrast way up. Which may be how a lot of people like their photos, but you lose detail that way. Notice the lost detail in the fence/wall on the left. In any case, I can't imagine there's much difference between most cameras on smartphones... they all have tiny sensors which is the real factor in image quality. The new Windows phones with the huge sensors are intriguing to me.

Definitely an improvement. Will be interesting to see the comparison review between the updated Moto X and the other flagship phones.

I'm actually a big fan of the idea that phone specs are incredibly overrated. Moto X might be at the top of the list based on what I've read.

Definitely an improvement. Will be interesting to see the comparison review between the updated Moto X and the other flagship phones.

I'm actually a big fan of the idea that phone specs are incredibly overrated. Moto X might be at the top of the list based on what I've read.

Droid Life took some comparison pictures side by side with the Galaxy S4 and the G2. It's definitely comparable, but still not at the level of the GS4. It's a lot closer than it was though.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/23/moto-x-camera-update-new-vs-old/

Back