• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

I am starting to look for a new Verizon phone as I think my current one (LG Revolution) is starting to kick the bucket. I will have had it for 2 years Thanksgiving so I can ugrade. Based off what RevDeac said, I'll be fine with any of the above, right? I'm not really into all the phone tech stuff. Any thoughts on the Droid Maxx and Ultra as they appear to be relatively new?

Yea, forgot about Droids. If you're on Verizon the Nexus 5 likely won't be available (but if it is, there will be no competition that can stand against it), but the Moto X really is in the lead right now. The Droids are Motorola, but the X is their real flagship device right now.

I am starting to look for a new Verizon phone as I think my current one (LG Revolution) is starting to kick the bucket. I will have had it for 2 years Thanksgiving so I can ugrade. Based off what RevDeac said, I'll be fine with any of the above, right? I'm not really into all the phone tech stuff. Any thoughts on the Droid Maxx and Ultra as they appear to be relatively new?

Maxx and Ultra suck. Get a Moto X. And wait till November 11th for Moto Maker to come to Verizon so you can customize it

Sigh, I never had much hope for Verizon, but it does look like a nice phone. It'll probs be a MotoX for me when it comes time to say goodbye to the ol' Nexus. Though at this point I might just be fine waiting it out for something better, not like the Nexus is failing me in any way.

Sigh, I never had much hope for Verizon, but it does look like a nice phone. It'll probs be a MotoX for me when it comes time to say goodbye to the ol' Nexus. Though at this point I might just be fine waiting it out for something better, not like the Nexus is failing me in any way.

this is my conundrum

Pretty awesome Google-like move - Moto released the Moto X camera to the play store, so in the future they can update the camera software without going through a carrier update. Considering that was the biggest knock on this phone when released, that's a pretty great move.

Pretty awesome Google-like move - Moto released the Moto X camera to the play store, so in the future they can update the camera software without going through a carrier update. Considering that was the biggest knock on this phone when released, that's a pretty great move.

The 4.4 update has some great "screw yous" for carriers, especially Google Wallet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The 4.4 update has some great "screw yous" for carriers, especially Google Wallet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

One of the things I like most about Apple is the de-carrierizing of their phones. I'm glad to see Google moving to the same.

For those of you interested, Droid Life has several apks this morning from the Nexus 5 to sideload.

ok, someone explain this to me. why, when you install a developer ROM, does it seem to progressively go glitchy over time? I'm ok with periodically updating it (although I've been lazy and just flashed a new one for the first time since July) but I just don't get why it gets worse from the day I install it.

the one I'm replacing was fine in July and by October was randomly shutting off (and losing 1/2 battery), randomly restarting, the launcher was crashing, and it was just overall slower than it used to be.

ok, someone explain this to me. why, when you install a developer ROM, does it seem to progressively go glitchy over time? I'm ok with periodically updating it (although I've been lazy and just flashed a new one for the first time since July) but I just don't get why it gets worse from the day I install it.

the one I'm replacing was fine in July and by October was randomly shutting off (and losing 1/2 battery), randomly restarting, the launcher was crashing, and it was just overall slower than it used to be.

I've never experienced that, though if the ROM you flashed had some bugs, updating to newer versions will take care of that.

I feel like it's happened every time I've updated.

(although this update is being a pain. upon starting the phone it immediately says that the keyboard has crashed and so I can't log into Google to access my account. annoying.)

eta: wiped and reinstalled and it's still happening. dammit phone, I really don't feel like dealing with this right now.

Last edited:
anyone know anything about that issue? I'm currently trying to do a CM restore for the first time ever. not being able to log into your google account (or type anything for that matter) kinda renders a ROM useless.

Try another ROM?

dling another now... paranoid android's latest. so we'll see.

sidenote: CM restore (THANK FUCK I actually remembered to do a nandroid backup today) worked and my phone is exactly the same as before I just wiped it 4 times. I'm actually a little amazed.

Back