• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

I like Purity (battery has been good lately) but I'm having trouble with GPS tracking. When I use run-tracking apps (tried two so far), it plots my position correctly on a map but thinks I'm going 8-10x as far and as fast as I am. So I'll go for, say, a 5 mile run and get a correctly mapped plot with the output of "you just ran 50 miles at 60 mph" or some shit.

So I googled this and someone said they switched ROMs and it was fixed. Weird thing is that my trusty GPS Test app correctly marks everything: elevation, speed, orientation etc.

Anyway, I need this to work. COD/BBD/TW, ever used one of these (MapMyRun, Runtastic etc. - both free) and does it work on your phone/with your ROM?

eta: here's an example screenshot. obvious weird thing is that it seems to know that I ran 5.15 miles that day but thinks it was 49?

eata: both apps had the same problem on the same scale and it's repeatable, not variable.

426511_875593057403_1557163707_n.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't had any problems like that on AOKP, and I've used Runkeeper and My Tracks with no problem...

Agree with the Galaxy S3 recommendation- IMHO best smart phone currently available on the market.

Just got the iphone5, switching over from droid. So far, I love the phone. The keyboard is such much more reliable and the amount of compatibility I have with other apple users is nice. It's great to final get group iMessages instead of the garbage I used to get on my droid.

One thing I would like some help on is trying to listen to music outside of iTunes. This is what I miss most about android. So I have emailed myself a few songs and managed to download an app to pull them from my email. I have seen several apps for music players but the problem for me lies in getting the music from my file app to the music player. Right now I can play all the songs but only in a file download app and not a music player. Trying to remedy this. Any ideas?

Just got the iphone5, switching over from droid. So far, I love the phone. The keyboard is such much more reliable and the amount of compatibility I have with other apple users is nice. It's great to final get group iMessages instead of the garbage I used to get on my droid.

One thing I would like some help on is trying to listen to music outside of iTunes. This is what I miss most about android. So I have emailed myself a few songs and managed to download an app to pull them from my email. I have seen several apps for music players but the problem for me lies in getting the music from my file app to the music player. Right now I can play all the songs but only in a file download app and not a music player. Trying to remedy this. Any ideas?

Congratulations on your shitty, last generation device and for not being able to figure out how to get a better keyboard or set up your group messages correctly on your Droid.

Do you have DropBox? That'd be one of the easiest ways. Just add dropbox to your computer and your phone, then copy your music to your dropbox folder or share your main music folder with dropbox. Your phone will download/play mp3's from the app.

Or just get Spotify...

Congratulations on your shitty, last generation device and for not being able to figure out how to get a better keyboard or set up your group messages correctly on your Droid.

I had handset but would still run into problems with group messages. I'm sure you could get it running like an iPhone but I just bought one instead. Not a huge tinkerer with the phones but really want to play my music

Do you have DropBox? That'd be one of the easiest ways. Just add dropbox to your computer and your phone, then copy your music to your dropbox folder or share your main music folder with dropbox. Your phone will download/play mp3's from the app.

Or just get Spotify...

I don't have a computer so is there a way to load files to Dropbox from the iPhone? So far, all I can do is add photos

flashing XenonHD at work so hopefully my GPS run tracking will function properly. hopefully the battery life will be as nice as Purity.

p.s. just read the script while creating a nandroid backup and, while it successfully backed up boot image, recovery image, system, and data, it says no /sdcard/.android_secure was found and skipped backup of apps and sd-ext. i'm not inclined to be concerned about this as Google backs up my apps anyway but was just wondering if anyone had noticed that before.

fuck dammit this is so frustrating. i forgot that i have free wifi here (and no cell signal) but the wifi requires that you accept their terms and whatnot. so while i'm doing setup and signing in to google etc., it wants a connection but i can't get it to authorize connecting to that wifi. the bars are grey when i need them to be blue. blerg.

my droid razr maxx just got updated to jelly bean. Google Now seems like a pretty cool concept and Play Music seems to be a much better player app than the My Music crap that was on the phone.

did you just do the update, or just get it pushed to your phone? Mine updated like 2+ weeks ago. Haven't noticed too many differences. Google Now, little better battery life, new font. Would like to have the camera thats in 4.2.

Just got pushed. Made my phone noticeably faster. It was getting jerky and I was starting to contemplate a factory reset to clean out the gunk, but the software update has it humming along really smooth. Noticed that some of the old stupid Verizon apps disappeared, maybe that had something to do with it. I'm seeing noticeably better battery life too. Google now has potential but I think it only reaches that potential if you run your life through gmail, which I do not.

Do any of y'all have the Mailbox app? If so, I need help understanding what the difference between the 3 arrows is when viewing a message. I know one of the forwards the message, but the other 2 reply to the message. What's the difference between the 2?

Do any of y'all have the Mailbox app? If so, I need help understanding what the difference between the 3 arrows is when viewing a message. I know one of the forwards the message, but the other 2 reply to the message. What's the difference between the 2?

Probably reply to sender vs reply all

XenonHD is great so far. The color palette was really strangely warm upon flash but I fixed it. Battery life is even better than Purity and the GPS run tracker problem is fixed. Awesome.

Amazing the difference these ROMs can make. I think I got home with 65% battery yesterday whereas when I was running stock, It'd be dead by 3:30-4:00.

Back