• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

We don't set the market - at least not if we want to hire a good candidate. The market sets the market.

Randy Edsall makes $2 million.
Doeren makes $1.7 million.
Cutcliffe makes $1.5 million and will almost certainly be getting a raise this offseason.
Fedora makes $1.7 million.
Addazio makes $1.6 million.
Mike London makes $2.1 million.
Paul Johnson makes $2.6 million.

You can say all you want what you think we should be paying, but at the end of the day that doesn't mean shit when the market says otherwise (unless you want to go to LOWF land). Like it or not, these are the numbers we are competing against - not whatever a prospective candidate might be making now.

ETA: My guess is we will need to pay the new coach in the $1.7 million range if we want to get a desirable candidate.

Agree totally. Low-balling on who should be our top choice is busch league. I propose we offer $1.5 plus $100,000 per win over 5. A .500 season earns him 1.6M (around average) and a Duke like season this year earns him over $2M.

Pete Lembo (Star Press and Ball State Daily Confirm Wellman in Muncie)

Do national associations provide assistance in negotiations and contracts to both parties? The principals would set parameters and let their reps do the hard work.

No. Both sides have lawyers, and of course the AD negotiates the business terms.

Last edited:
So the last. Job everyone here was offered they got their preferred compensation package with the initial offer and immediately accepted? Good work.

So the last. Job everyone here was offered they got their preferred compensation package with the initial offer and immediately accepted? Good work.

It's kind of dumb to compare a BCS conference football coaching job to our jobs. If anybody on these boards was recently hired as CEO to run a multimillion dollar company then I'm guessing his initial offer was pretty solid.

Read what people are typing. Of course the first offer shouldn't be the final offer, but Doeren makes 50% more than this!

Welcome to OG. Can you tell us anything about your basketball coach and athletic director?

Seriously, it's pretty obvious that most fans around here agree with you about Lembo to Wake Forest!

I wonder what Tom Davis thinks about Lembo fitting in at Wake?

I'm going to be salty if Ron hires Clawson. He is 31-31 at Bowling Green. The previous coach was 44-30. Urban Meyer was 17-6 before that. He "built the program" back up after he tore it down himself. He did a nice job at Richmond, but nothing mind blowing.

Ball State lost at least 6 games every year except one from 2000-2011. And Lembo has won 19 games in two years there. And his 35-22 mark at Elon is pretty damn impressive too. Before he got there they really sucked and Elon has gone 10-24 since he left. It's a no-brainer.

I don't want to re-read this entire thread. Where is the report that Wellman offered $1.2m? Or it that just speculation?

It's kind of dumb to compare a BCS conference football coaching job to our jobs. If anybody on these boards was recently hired as CEO to run a multimillion dollar company then I'm guessing his initial offer was pretty solid.

He's going to counter any offer we make to him if he's smart. If you want to end up at $1.5-1.6MM that's not your first offer. Your first offer needs to be in the ballpark, which OTP said was the case, and open up the negotiation.

I'm going to be salty if Ron hires Clawson. He is 31-31 at Bowling Green. The previous coach was 44-30. Urban Meyer was 17-6 before that. He "built the program" back up after he tore it down himself. He did a nice job at Richmond, but nothing mind blowing.

Ball State lost at least 6 games every year except one from 2000-2011. And Lembo has won 19 games in two years there. And his 35-22 mark at Elon is pretty damn impressive too. Before he got there they really sucked and Elon has gone 10-24 since he left. It's a no-brainer.

That is not frowned upon by Wake Forest administration.

she approves of the color combo of navy blue and brown.

someone needs to ask her about red on brown.

I don't want to re-read this entire thread. Where is the report that Wellman offered $1.2m? Or it that just speculation?

A guy with like 5 posts heard from another guy who heard from an uncle that "the thought was in the 1.2 range or thereabouts" so of course it's now 100% gospel and Wellman's an idiot.

Back