• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

We are currently fundraising for a new strength and conditioning facility and a new locker room.
But we are behind other schools in that regard. That is what I learned talking to someone who knows Grobe and actually spoke with him a few weeks ago (and talks to him on a regular basis). Grobe is still fully aware of what it takes to win; he pointed to what other schools were doing to their facilities on a regular basis and said we need to do that. Essentially, the AD has been slow to react to changes in other programs and I think Grobe may have had enough.

If we hire Lembo, the university has to be willing to provide the upgrades he demands. From a coach who knows him as well as Grobe, Lembo won't just take the Wake job as is. Serious improvements in facilities (that the players actually get to use, not a shiny press box or video board) will have to be promised. Other schools improved theirs in response to what we did in 2006-07 and we did not answer. Thus we fell behind in recruiting. We can't keep up with larger schools by upgrading once every 15 years.

Grobe was well paid by Wellman, but that is it. There was not enough money going towards the things that players want. So, Grobe resigned in part because of that. Lembo won't come here (or won't stay here long) if we don't up our commitment to producing a winning program. That starts with practice facilities, gameday locker rooms, football offices, recruiting budgets, etc. The Buzz debacle hasn't helped as donors have pulled support; that affects all sports, not just basketball.

I think this is an important point that hasn't been discussed much that I can tell. Grobe did mention facilities at his press conference and that caught my ear. I wonder how much he had pushed for better facilities and how big an issue that was behind closed doors.

Edited to say MBDeac08 beat me to it just above.

Last edited:
But we are behind other schools in that regard. That is what I learned talking to someone who knows Grobe and actually spoke with him a few weeks ago (and talks to him on a regular basis). Grobe is still fully aware of what it takes to win; he pointed to what other schools were doing to their facilities on a regular basis and said we need to do that. Essentially, the AD has been slow to react to changes in other programs and I think Grobe may have had enough.

and then deliberately fucked the program and collected a check? an old weight room does not result in 5 losing seasons

I definitely think we need to upgrade our facilities, but let's not pretend like that's what kept us from winning the last 5 years. We were still way behind in recruiting to a lot of programs (BSU for one) with lessor facilities. Not to mention, behind a lot of programs that weren't coming off a ACC Championship and BCS bowl game. Plus, the players on the are just now starting to be the ones who were recruited when we were "behind". On what would you blame the 4 previous losing seasons?

Last edited:
and then deliberately fucked the program and collected a check? an old weight room does not result in 5 losing seasons
Um, no. Grobe at one point said he felt they had gotten all they could out of the last couple of years. Given the resources to work with, Grobe believed that. He hasn't lost the desire to coach or win.

Edited to respond to RAcer: The person I spoke to said Grobe is definitley loyal to a fault and that that caused much of the failure over the last several seasons.

So, simply put there are many reasons Grobe felt he needed to move on. Loyalty to coaches and lack of support from AD are two major reasons.

Last edited:
Um, no. Grobe at one point said he felt they had gotten all they could out of the last couple of years. Given the resources to work with, Grobe believed that. He hasn't lost the desire to coach or win.

Semi-related, and FWIW, the person I spoke to said Grobe is definitely loyal to a fault and that played a major role in the last few seasons. So no, a crappy weight room is not the only issue.

So basically the AD is unable/unwilling to invest in better facilities to improve recruiting while our HC is unwilling to replace one of the worst performing coordinators in the country out of loyalty. Scratching my head on how we only won four games this year.

Agree with you RacerDeac. We should compare ourselves to our completion, not Oregon or Oklahoma St. In that sense, we're still last in the ACC. Buying the Joel won't help the football program or the basketball program for that matter. 8 million out the door, plus any upgrades to a 25 year old coliseum. If Wellman booked the Rolling Stones for a 2 week gig, we'll make our money back. With Bzz playing to 1,500 a night, we're screwed. Wellman has been able to come up with the money for these things (Deacon Tower, Video board, Baseball stadium), he'll have to keep up the act in order to get the facilities that we need.

So basically the AD is unable/unwilling to invest in better facilities to improve recruiting while our HC is unwilling to replace one of the worst performing coordinators in the country out of loyalty. Scratching my head on how we only won four games this year.
Yup.

The hiring of Buzz has hurt our athletic department more than anyone could have imagined.

we're always going to be a little behind in football extras. we're always going to pay a little less, be behind a little in facilities, etc. than the top BCS programs. we just need a coach and a team that doesn't give a shit, doesn't cry and pout and gets the job done anyway.

we're always going to be a little behind in football extras. we're always going to pay a little less, be behind a little in facilities, etc. than the top BCS programs. we just need a coach and a team that doesn't give a shit, doesn't cry and pout and gets the job done anyway.

Which, considering that we are still willing to pay over $2 million a year, shouldn't be hard to find considering the leash we've demonstrated we are willing to give. Especially if it's someone who really does buy into the Skip/Grobe line of coaching and raising up men that goes over well at Wake.

Would you prefer the MD approach to running up the credit card?

In regards to Pete being a dick...

He has a sarcastic personality at times and really can push buttons to get what he thinks is best for his program. If he thinks he needs something to make his program better, he will go out of his way to make sure that happens. Often times that can rub people the wrong way. The people who work alongside him in an athletic department (media relations, athletic training, academics, marketing, etc.) are the ones who would most likely think he is a dick and again it goes back to him knowing exactly what he wants for his program. Some people understand the nature of college athletics and how coaches are wired and can handle it. Others can't. If he were hired, I am sure that would be quite a change from how Grobe worked with others in the department.

With all that said, he is very good in the public in interactions with boosters, fans and media. He knows how to play the game and understands the importance of being involved with all aspects of the program. He is very good with his players and making sure they are student-athletes and not just there to play football. He is involved with their academic progress and knows where each kid stands in terms of grades and whether or not they are doing what they should be doing in the class room. He is good with discipline and for the most part keeping kids out of trouble and taking care of problems when they arise. He is very personable and energetic. I don't know Bz personally, but from what I have seen personality wise, Lembo is much closer to the way Coach Prosser was. I feel they share some similarities in how they operate(d) their programs in all facets.

He is a good coach and I think would be successful at Wake Forest. He is very meticulous and will walk in the first day with a plan put in place to continue to build the program back to where Grobe had it and hopefully beyond. Hopefully this is the step that Wellman will take.

In regards to Pete being a dick...

He has a sarcastic personality at times and really can push buttons to get what he thinks is best for his program. If he thinks he needs something to make his program better, he will go out of his way to make sure that happens. Often times that can rub people the wrong way. The people who work alongside him in an athletic department (media relations, athletic training, academics, marketing, etc.) are the ones who would most likely think he is a dick and again it goes back to him knowing exactly what he wants for his program. Some people understand the nature of college athletics and how coaches are wired and can handle it. Others can't. If he were hired, I am sure that would be quite a change from how Grobe worked with others in the department.

With all that said, he is very good in the public in interactions with boosters, fans and media. He knows how to play the game and understands the importance of being involved with all aspects of the program. He is very good with his players and making sure they are student-athletes and not just there to play football. He is involved with their academic progress and knows where each kid stands in terms of grades and whether or not they are doing what they should be doing in the class room. He is good with discipline and for the most part keeping kids out of trouble and taking care of problems when they arise. He is very personable and energetic. I don't know Bz personally, but from what I have seen personality wise, Lembo is much closer to the way Coach Prosser was. I feel they share some similarities in how they operate(d) their programs in all facets.

He is a good coach and I think would be successful at Wake Forest. He is very meticulous and will walk in the first day with a plan put in place to continue to build the program back to where Grobe had it and hopefully beyond. Hopefully this is the step that Wellman will take.

Hmm. Wellman no likey.

This guy from bonertown (probs located near Muncie i would guess since he has this inside knowledge) says on twitter it looks like lembo to wake. Done deal baby.

Would you prefer the MD approach to running up the credit card?
No, never said I would. I'm passing on info I learned from someone close to Grobe. The impression I got was that it came down to Grobe saying "we need this" and Wellman said "well, we'll see".

Don't know how far behind we are or how far behind Grobe perceived we were. "Behind other schools" doesn't really mean much unless there is something to quantify it.

I think if he just fired Lobo 5 years ago the facility issues would have taken care of themselves. Or let recruits have multiple steaks.

Last edited:
Grobe doesn't want to point the finger at himself or Lobo. That's fine, but I think he is being a bit disingenuous.

Saying he squeezed all he could out of this team is really a laughable assertion.

Grobe doesn't want to point the finger at himself or Lobo. That's fine, but I think he is being a bit disingenuous.

Saying he squeezed all he could out of this team is really a laughable assertion.
I agree. Grobe is a great person, anyone who knows him attests to that. But he isn't perfect.

Umm....what say you if Lembo pulls a Brad Stevens on Wellman and says 'no thanks' ?

:willynilly:

Back