• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

I think numbers post matches my understanding. I think I have read every post on this board and the other two on the coaching search, and I've not seen any information from an "insider" (and with all due respect to buckets and brews, I don't consider them insiders) that would make me think we did anything but interview Lembo, interview Clawson, and then decide to offer Clawson the job. Coaching interviews are often very detailed, as you might expect. It is not shocking that things such as salary, improvements, and academic exceptions would be discussed in an interview.
I hate this shit. I am defending Wellman, who I want to leave Wake. But it blows my mind that people want to say things like "Wellman couldn't get his first choice" when we have no evidence that is what actually happened. Is it possible? Sure. But absent information from somebody with a known track record confirming that we wanted Lembo but couldn't get him because of X (salary demands were too high, academic demands were too strenuous, not willing to give Wellman a foot rub every afternoon at 3:15), I'm not going to assume that Wellman fucked up this search.

This.

Also who the hell cares whether BGSU or BSU would be better at this very moment, right now. This isn't a pay-per-view UFC match.

See my last post - Bowling Green is 9.5 points better than Ball State on all three Sagarin ratings.

Maybe BGSU's rating is swayed by beating NIU so badly, but NIU wasn't very high in Sagarin before the game either (BGSU was favored on Sagarin) and they've played 13 games now so it's unlikely one game swayed too much.

Perhaps my point would have been better stated to say: objectively Bowling Green is almost certainly around a touchdown or more better than Ball State and left Vegas out of it. Although I subscribe to the belief that for the most part Vegas is going for the most accurate pick on the spread rather than always going for 50/50.

The point against the BGSU bowl game would make more sense if BGSU weren't actually 8.5 points better on Sagarin than Pitt in the first place, so Vegas is actually under that.

It's a moot point and not all that important, but I would be curious to know how you came to your "objective" conclusion that BG is a TD better than BSU? You can point to the one good game they won (NIU) and I can point to the one bad game they lost (IU, which is a fucking dumpster fire of a program).

Oh and lest we forget, the jagbag that is Jeff Sagarin happened to go to IU. Which strangely enough, the computer models he runs always seem to boost the teams that beat the Hoosiers. I've watched it for years and it never fails.

Granted, the above doesn't fit the narrative of feverishly jerking off over Dave Clawson, not to say that's what you're doing at all, but I can tell some people are attempting to make the Clawfense seem like the better hire because Lembo sucks, BG is better than BSU, etc etc. and I just think that's a dangerous game. Both candidates had merit, Wellman made the call, and I would think I would want the candidate chosen for my team to stand on his own rather then automatically being linked to someone else right out of the gate.

I was just pointing out to people who were comparing Clawson to Lembo and weeping while masturbating to pictures of CPL after stuffing their faces with ice cream to console themselves, that this year's BGSU team is almost assuredly better than Ball State. It really doesn't matter, as you point out, I was just putting in some stats to back up the assertion that Clawson is not considerably, if at all, worse than Lembo.

Also Sagarin doesn't change the formula on a weekly basis depending on who beats Indiana and who doesn't, it's a pretty stagnant formula.

It's a moot point and not all that important, but I would be curious to know how you came to your "objective" conclusion that BG is a TD better than BSU? You can point to the one good game they won (NIU) and I can point to the one bad game they lost (IU, which is a fucking dumpster fire of a program).

Oh and lest we forget, the jagbag that is Jeff Sagarin happened to go to IU. Which strangely enough, the computer models he runs always seem to boost the teams that beat the Hoosiers. I've watched it for years and it never fails.

Granted, the above doesn't fit the narrative of feverishly jerking off over Dave Clawson, not to say that's what you're doing at all, but I can tell some people are attempting to make the Clawfense seem like the better hire because Lembo sucks, BG is better than BSU, etc etc. and I just think that's a dangerous game. Both candidates had merit, Wellman made the call, and I would think I would want the candidate chosen for my team to stand on his own rather then automatically being linked to someone else right out of the gate.

You're right it's not important at all, but BG won the conference and beat a team to do it that BSU couldn't.

See my last post - Bowling Green is 9.5 points better than Ball State on all three Sagarin ratings.

Maybe BGSU's rating is swayed by beating NIU so badly, but NIU wasn't very high in Sagarin before the game either (BGSU was favored on Sagarin) and they've played 13 games now so it's unlikely one game swayed too much.

Perhaps my point would have been better stated to say: objectively Bowling Green is almost certainly around a touchdown or more better than Ball State and left Vegas out of it. Although I subscribe to the belief that for the most part Vegas is going for the most accurate pick on the spread rather than always going for 50/50.

The point against the BGSU bowl game would make more sense if BGSU weren't actually 8.5 points better on Sagarin than Pitt in the first place, so Vegas is actually under that.

It's cool. Your point still stands though that this 2013 BG team is excellent. I just flipped through historical F+ rankings and this 2013 BG team, made up of entirely Clawson players, would be the 2nd best WFU team in recent history if it were a Wake team. And that's with MAC level recruits. Exciting.

The difficult part for me is that the 2010, 2011, and 2012 BG teams were all pretty bad. But I'm just going to chalk that up to not having a good QB.

Hey man, don't go challenging numbers in an argument with numbers. If you argue with math, you will lose.

Nice twitter nugget from Pete Thamel about Dave Clawson's player evals.

The two QBs he had committed when he was OC at Tennessee: Tajh Boyd and Bryce Petty.

The current sophomore BG QB sounds like a player, too.

Pretty amusing that Dan Collins dropped the needing to "win the press conference" line.

I had no idea so many MAC experts were also Wake fans. Small world. Please, tell me more about the conference I apparently know nothing about.

I was attempting to say you guys got a decent coach and there really isn't a need to act like CPL is a piece of shit that your AD never wanted and Clawson is light years ahead, BG is better, BSU is terrible, etc. I agree, that's an excellent narrative to propagate for the Clawson supporters, reality be damned.

I love how about 3 hours before the actual news break there was a leak that the hire was someone terrible and we missed out on all our targets.

I had no idea so many MAC experts were also Wake fans. Small world. Please, tell me more about the conference I apparently know nothing about.

I was attempting to say you guys got a decent coach and there really isn't a need to act like CPL is a piece of shit that your AD never wanted and Clawson is light years ahead, BG is better, BSU is terrible, etc. I agree, that's an excellent narrative to propagate for the Clawson supporters, reality be damned.

Yeah, or just let us be optimistic for the first time in 5 years. Lembo blows. #ClawsIN

I don't think anybody is really saying that. I already said BSU had a good season, I like Lembo a lot, wanted Lembo here, and that you will crush Arkansas State in your bowl. I don't care if Lembo is good or not quite frankly because we don't have him as our coach. I just know that people on here are going to set up a false dichotomy in the future if and when Clawson turns south by saying that Lembo was the by FAR the better candidate and against all odds we screwed the pooch when in reality both guys were top candidates for Wake from the get-go.

I also didn't say you know nothing about the MAC, I was just pointing out BGSU is better this year. That's all.

Was trying to look more in to his year at UT and I think he landed Tahj Boyd and Bryce Petty in the same class before Fulmer got ousted.

Pretty amusing that Dan Collins dropped the needing to "win the press conference" line.

Well at this point, the fanbase kind of needs him to. We haven't won on the field in either of our 2 major sports in a long time and the man running the show keeps telling us it's OK. We actually kind of need Clawson to step to the effing mic and tell us it's not OK but that he's here to fix it. It's silly and it's childish, but it's true.

How dare we try to get excited about a new hire with the shit we have had to deal with as a fanbase the last five years.

I don't really see people here trashing Lembo. I think those were clearly the 2 hottest mid major candidates this offseason, and am thrilled we got 1 of them.

As DeaconSig has posted, I have no idea who was Wellman's first choice, but I will say I think Wellman has had his eye on Clawson for several years, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was the top choice. Clawson was mentioned as a possible Grobe replacement back when he was still tearing it up at Richmond.

Looks like we hired a good coach out of several good options. Good job Wellman. Now I can look forward to seeing your successor fire [Redacted] soon.

So, let me get this straight. When comparing 2 teams that haven't played, it's not fair to point out that one won the conference title against a team the other team lost to? BG and BSU were both very good teams this year and would probably play a pick'em game, I don't see where anyone is saying Clawson is light years better or BSU is terrible. I think most think Lembo and Clawson were very comparable candidates. I think maybe it's time for you to run on home now, since Lembo isn't going to be our guy.

Back