• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

I was just pointing out BGSU is better this year. That's all.

I didn't take issue with that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, most of them being terrible. Perhaps I misinterpreted, and I will own I just casually breezed through it, but the sort of be all end all "objectivity" that you posted about BG v BSU and the implied "Q.E.D. FUCKFACE!" at the end was more what I had an issue with.

They beat NIU on a neutral field in a high pressure situation for NIU and a no pressure situation for BG. We lost to NIU on their field. BG lost at home to Toledo by 3, we beat Toledo at home by 7. We both had losses that are sort of head scratchers.

I think the teams are remarkably equal and would play a great game. I also think "objectively" NIU is the better team that just laid an egg that night in the MAC Championship. It happens. But to act like either team (BG or BSU) is head and shoulders better than the other is ridiculous on either side.

Y'all got Clawson, most of you are happy, and I'm happy for you. He'll be a fine coach down there and for now, we get to keep CPL. Win-win.

Last edited:
I am solidly Wellman Out, but I agree this is a better hire than we usually would get for football. Clawson has won several conference championships, several coaching awards, and just won a pretty big game a few days ago. I am #ClawsIn.

Having said that, I think it would have taken a lot for Wellman to screw this up, as there were several great candidates and not many openings. I'm afraid Wellman may have dicked around an missed on a better option, and my bigger concern is WHY we didn't work something out with Lembo. I hope this works out well, but I'm just so tired of the culture/Wake Way bullshit, I guess I'm jaded.

If the disagreement (if any) between Wellman and Lembo was over admissions, as some have suggested, then Wellman's hands were tied and the deal just wouldn't be doable. If it was over facilities, after the new weight center is completed the only remaining thing of significance Wake would lack is an indoor practice facility, which could be put into the mix, probably after locker room improvements. Assuming people who have posted some numbers on the board have some modicum of credibility, Lembo's base salary was $350K. Wellman's offer was supposedly $1.2 million and Lembo considered that "low ball." Hmmmm.

Personally, I was hoping for Lembo because of the better career record, and I really liked what I heard about micromanaging the program (media guide, community programs, etc.). I think the latter fits in perfectly with Wake Forest. Also liked he was a GU grad, although Claws whole staff being Ivy league matches that. I really wanted the micromanager because that would be so anti-Wellman it would be a step In the right direction, Wellman showing he doesn't have to be the smartest guy in the room. However, I think we all know and based on the reports that Wellman needs more of a Yes man to fellate his ego.

OTP - What I'm curious as to is this:

Say Claws signs for 1.2-1.3 base, that would generally confirm your reports of a lowball offer to Lembo we'd agree.

However, what if Claws base is 1.5++. Would you take that to mean that Lembo was pure window dressing (something our AD needed to do after the unilateral and completely in the dark abomination of our BB head coaching search), or is there a chance Lembo would need to throw some disinformation out there if he had a bad vibe given that this was his first big overture, and there's clearly plenty of motivation for him to want to paint the miss on Wake.

lol that the MAC title game was a no-pressure situation for Clawson and BGSU. Yeah, there wasn't a BGSU BCS bid on the line, but come on

It was supposedly $1.0 million.

What's a couple of hundred K between friends? At any rate, one thing we owe Grobe is that the Wake program was seen as an attractive opportunity by some apparently quality candidates. For myself, I would have been tickled with any of Clawsen, Lembo, Narduzzi or Herman.

I guess I don't really understand how the MAC title game was "no pressure" for BGSU but other than that I think it's a decent point.

I didn't really think there was much question in that game who was better between NIU and BGSU, but hey maybe I caught NIU on an off day. It was sample size one. At the same time, that looked like a game that BGSU wins 65 or 70% of the time against NIU, who was incredibly overrated at 14th in the country regardless of what metric you use to analyze.

I've seen some references to Clawson's offensive system, but anybody know what kind of defense he likes to run? Blocking schemes for O-line? Somebody give the scouting report.

lol that the MAC title game was a no-pressure situation for Clawson and BGSU. Yeah, there wasn't a BGSU BCS bid on the line, but come on

I agree there was pressure, but I also watched a team in very similar fashion to this year's NIU team (08 BSU) do the same thing against Buffalo. That MAC title game with the attention, the BCS hopes, Heisman whispers for a QB, all was the same for us. And we too also just laid an egg. Turner Gill used it to bounce out to Kansas. BG really did have nothing to play for. They were always going to go to Detroit for their bowl and NIU was the darling of the country. Had NIU beat them by 20 people wouldn't have been surprised. That's all I'm saying.

Personally, I was hoping for Lembo because of the better career record, and I really liked what I heard about micromanaging the program (media guide, community programs, etc.). I think the latter fits in perfectly with Wake Forest. Also liked he was a GU grad, although Claws whole staff being Ivy league matches that. I really wanted the micromanager because that would be so anti-Wellman it would be a step In the right direction, Wellman showing he doesn't have to be the smartest guy in the room. However, I think we all know and based on the reports that Wellman needs more of a Yes man to fellate his ego.

OTP - What I'm curious as to is this:

Say Claws signs for 1.2-1.3 base, that would generally confirm your reports of a lowball offer to Lembo we'd agree.

However, what if Claws base is 1.5++. Would you take that to mean that Lembo was pure window dressing (something our AD needed to do after the unilateral and completely in the dark abomination of our BB head coaching search), or is there a chance Lembo would need to throw some disinformation out there if he had a bad vibe given that this was his first big overture, and there's clearly plenty of motivation for him to want to paint the miss on Wake.

I don't know what the buyout numbers were for Clawson at BG, so that could have impacted it. From what I read on here, WF doesn't pay buyouts. Lembo's is one year's salary, or $400k. In his case that falls on him. Thus reducing his compensation. I know BG has deeper athletic pockets and better booster support so it is possible that the buyout wasn't a sticking point for him.

The point about misinformation is a good one, but if that were the case, he's using new people to do it and throwing in extra layers of leaking which aren't his usual style. Tom Davis gets primo info, and he's had nothing. So while possible, I don't see it as probable just for how everything usually runs.

To be honest, I can't give a specific reason or one thing that made this unworkable. I think it was the combination of a lot of little things on both sides that made Clawson the more attractive choice. Hell, for all I know it could totally be that there was just a better feel with the Clawfense. I have no clue on that kind of thing. Plus, as has been pointed out, he did beat a top 15 team in the conference title game. That counts for something and as we saw in 08, sometimes ADs put a lot of stock in those things. It didn't work out well for KU and Turner Gill but I think most everyone will tell you Clawson is way better than Gill.

Interesting, Bowling Green boards say the contract extension that Clawson got included a 200k buy out for anybody who hired him away. The coverage for liquidated damages lapsed in the old contract as of December 1, 2013. I can't seem to find the extension anywhere though.

How dare we try to get excited about a new hire with the shit we have had to deal with as a fanbase the last five years.

Actually that's pretty much the way I feel. With Wellman, I just keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. So yes I am finding it hard to get excited about Wellman hiring a coach from his alma mater. I hope Wellman hasn't screwed things up again, but the odds are against me...

Found it:

The buyouts for the contract also changed. If Clawson elects to leave Bowling Green in the next three seasons, the school will be paid $200,000. That number drops to $150,000 in 2017 and to $100,00 for the final two years of the contract.

https://www.toledoblade.com/BGSU/2013/03/02/Clawson-s-salary-jumps-to-400-000.html

He also made $400,000 this year which was more than he was making before.

Ball State is better than BGSU. I'm floored that BGSU managed to beat NIU, just one of those things that happen from time-to-time. Anyway, I have no idea if Lembo would have better than Clawson, and we never really will know. Personally, I'm glad that it looks like Lembo will stay at BSU for another year (though we aren't out of the woods on that just yet).

Back