• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

Yea I don't know why people are so hung out up on the "no offer = wasn't our first choice" thing. That's just not how job searches work at all. The only reason we never "formally offered" him a contract is because the sides couldn't agree on the parameters of what that contract would look like. That hardly means we preferred another candidate (be it Clawson or anyone else) over Lembo.

It'd be like discussing a job opening with Applicant A, your first choice, where it comes out during discussions that Applicant A will not agree to a start date before January 1, 2014. You really need whoever fills this position on December 15, 2013. So you talk to Applicant B, who is free to start on December 15. And you offer Applicant B, and he accepts. None of this means that Applicant A wasn't your first choice; he just had a demand -- here, a later start date -- that you as the employer weren't comfortable with. It's fine, it happens.
Bingo. I mean, what is the point of the interview if we've already labeled Applicant A "the" guy?

Is this the part where online community groupthink tries to run OverThePylon out of town, hoping it ends in a spectacular explosion of pent up anger and frustration? I mean, I'm on board, that's entertaining.

But it'd be nice if we don't troll too hard, OTP doesn't catch feelings, and he can come check back in next season when Clawson starts coaching some games. He can tell us HE TOLD US SO when we lose, and maybe give us some insight when we win, eh?

He can even make an Occam's Razor reference for deacvision7 and talk about mofuggies for Lectro and that's all fine with me.

Wake definitely pays buyouts, we had to pay for fucking [Redacted] 's

Actually that's pretty much the way I feel. With Wellman, I just keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. So yes I am finding it hard to get excited about Wellman hiring a coach from his alma mater. I hope Wellman hasn't screwed things up again, but the odds are against me...

He hasn't. Obviously I'm more in Lembo's camp because of my dealings with him and my football knowledge, but Clawson is a good coach. You all will be fine and kicking the asses of Maryland and Virginia in no time, and really, that's something we can all get behind.

Will the press conference be streamed for those of us who can't make it over to Bridger?

"Fans are invited to a special Q&A session with Coach Clawson today at 5 p.m. on the sixth floor of Deacon Tower. Come meet your new coach and help welcome him to Wake Forest!

If you can't make it, you can watch live online on WakeForestSports.com"

He hasn't. Obviously I'm more in Lembo's camp because of my dealings with him and my football knowledge, but Clawson is a good coach. You all will be fine and kicking the asses of Maryland and Virginia in no time, and really, that's something we can all get behind.

Ha, until UVA hires Lembo next year and then he becomes our worst nightmare. :p

Is this the part where online community groupthink tries to run OverThePylon out of town, hoping it ends in a spectacular explosion of pent up anger and frustration? I mean, I'm on board, that's entertaining.

But it'd be nice if we don't troll too hard, OTP doesn't catch feelings, and he can come check back in next season when Clawson starts coaching some games. He can tell us HE TOLD US SO when we lose, and maybe give us some insight when we win, eh?

He can even make an Occam's Razor reference for deacvision7 and talk about mofuggies for Lectro and that's all fine with me.

Honestly, I think we all expect Lembo to be hired by UVA (or another ACC rival) and then dominate us for the next 5-7 years, so we're all subconsciously transferring our anticipated frustration onto OTP by picking nits with Lembo's track record and the info OTP passed along to us. Just the ol' human mind preparing to defend itself against future disappointment -- a tried and true defense mechanism.

"Fans are invited to a special Q&A session with Coach Clawson today at 5 p.m. on the sixth floor of Deacon Tower. Come meet your new coach and help welcome him to Wake Forest!

Will Wellman take questions?

I agree there was pressure, but I also watched a team in very similar fashion to this year's NIU team (08 BSU) do the same thing against Buffalo. That MAC title game with the attention, the BCS hopes, Heisman whispers for a QB, all was the same for us. And we too also just laid an egg. Turner Gill used it to bounce out to Kansas. BG really did have nothing to play for. They were always going to go to Detroit for their bowl and NIU was the darling of the country. Had NIU beat them by 20 people wouldn't have been surprised. That's all I'm saying.

See, you're at it again. BG absolutely did have something to play for, the first MAC title in over two decades. And they played like they had something to play for. That's coaching. Teams lay eggs all the time in meaningful games, and saying some teams are "objectively" better than others is pointless because of just that.

I don't know shit about MAC football this year, since my Saturdays this season were spent drinking Genesee Cream Ale in the LJVM parking lot, but the only MAC game I saw this year was the title game last week that I only tuned in to watch Clawson, and it was pretty clear who was the better team that night. But the facts are that BSU wasn't in that game and they didn't win the title, doesn't matter how "objectively" good they are relative to BGSU. Winning when it counts is all that matters, something that Wake hasn't done in quite some time.

The bigger issue here is press conference culture. We're going from "snot bubbles and hair on fire" to a guy with a Williams education. Get out your dictionary!

Coach Clawson: Do you pledge to never line a full back up at wide receiver?

Planted questions.

If there's some sort of goal to have me explode in anger, etc. that's not a great goal to have. I have better things to do than that. I came here to provide some info on a coach y'all were looking at. I love the pace of the place and some of the characters, but it isn't like I am so emotionally invested that I'll have some swan song thread or a bunch of off the handle shit. Not worth my time. Muhfuggas.

While OTP is still here, I wonder if he has a read on Clawson's assistants (specifically Elko) and the likelihood they end up with him here vs stay behind at BGSU (for a HC job or otherwise).

See, you're at it again. BG absolutely did have something to play for, the first MAC title in over two decades. And they played like they had something to play for. That's coaching. Teams lay eggs all the time in meaningful games, and saying some teams are "objectively" better than others is pointless because of just that.

I don't know shit about MAC football this year, since my Saturdays this season were spent drinking Genesee Cream Ale in the LJVM parking lot, but the only MAC game I saw this year was the title game last week that I only tuned in to watch Clawson, and it was pretty clear who was the better team that night. But the facts are that BSU wasn't in that game and they didn't win the title, doesn't matter how "objectively" good they are relative to BGSU. Winning when it counts is all that matters, something that Wake hasn't done in quite some time.

I didn't say anyone was objectively better. That was one of your folks.

If there's some sort of goal to have me explode in anger, etc. that's not a great goal to have. I have better things to do than that. I came here to provide some info on a coach y'all were looking at. I love the pace of the place and some of the characters, but it isn't like I am so emotionally invested that I'll have some swan song thread or a bunch of off the handle shit. Not worth my time. Muhfuggas.

This is the OTP we need to see more of. Didn't mean to further instigate you. And yes, arguing with Numbers over his "objective" ratings of MAC teams is a terrible way to spend your time here

While OTP is still here, I wonder if he has a read on Clawson's assistants (specifically Elko) and the likelihood they end up with him here vs stay behind at BGSU (for a HC job or otherwise).

The two most prominent names I've heard bantered about from some alums I know are Luke Fickell and the OC from Tennessee. I think the thinking is that most of the assistants will be on staff at Wake and will transition after the bowl game. That's how it's usually done in the MAC. The HC leaves, takes the assistants he wants, and the shitbags that aren't either have some program connection or they aren't head coach worthy and the school wants a total reboot.

Gotta remember a head coach in the MAC with no real track record can expect in the neighborhood of 300-400k. Most coordinators at the BCS level pull close to that with a far better career trajectory. It's the classic ego now versus results later kind of deal.

Back