• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

well said, Kareem (Donald Sterling discussion thread)

I have no idea who 3 of the people on that list are

I have no idea who 3 of the people on that list are

Yeah, can someone tell me who Conrad Murray and Michael Lohan are?

So now Steve Ballmer is buying the Clips for $2bil. One of the NBA guys on ESPN estimated that, had Sterling sold his team under normal circumstances, he'd have only gotten $900mil or so. So now Sterling and his trust are making twice what the team is worth because he got caught saying bizarre, racist shite in his living room. And that was after the NBA had done nothing about this guy for decades of really offensive and illegal discriminatory behavior. Can one of you make sense of all this for me, or are we, in the words of Lewis Black, just really fucking stupid?

What was this guy's reasoning for saying the Sterlings are getting a better price? That seems counter intuitive to me that he'd get a better price when everyone knows a sale is being forced.

Maybe because there are so many bidders.

--Michael Jackson's doctor/dude accused by some of killing MJ
--Think it's Lindsay Lohan's Dad. He's the one that really surprised me. Was this survey just of people in California?

--Michael Jackson's doctor/dude accused by some of killing MJ
--Think it's Lindsay Lohan's Dad. He's the one that really surprised me. Was this survey just of people in California?

Yeah, I looked those 2 up. Gimme a break on MJ's doc. MJ wanted the drugs, and this guy was only too happy to get paid and comply. He shouldn't be a doc any longer, but #3 on the most hated list? Seems a tad high. And WTF did Mr. Lohan do to earn this kind of enmity other than to have an irritating daughter? Madoff and Sterling would be the only folks on that list who would make my personal top-10.

Given who is representing Donald, this is more of a set-up than an undercover cop offering to race Justin Beiber in a rental Ferrari.

So now Steve Ballmer is buying the Clips for $2bil. One of the NBA guys on ESPN estimated that, had Sterling sold his team under normal circumstances, he'd have only gotten $900mil or so. So now Sterling and his trust are making twice what the team is worth because he got caught saying bizarre, racist shite in his living room. And that was after the NBA had done nothing about this guy for decades of really offensive and illegal discriminatory behavior. Can one of you make sense of all this for me, or are we, in the words of Lewis Black, just really fucking stupid?

'Murica.

The NBA is loving this. It has inflated the value of every team.

Don't agree that the Clippers would have sold for $900 million under normal circumstances. There is a small limited number of sports franchises, and there are over 1600 billionaires. If you have stupid money (and Ballmer has over $20 billion) and time on your hands, owning a sports franchise is the easiest way to stay/become relevant and keep getting your ego stroked. Jerry Jones loves that millions of sports fans know who he is. 99.9% of those people who hate or love Jones would care less about Jerry Jones if he did not own the Cowboys. Being in the headlines and having millions love your team or hate your team (which most owners perceive as extension of themselves) is priceless. All franchise owners have more money than they could ever spend; so, if you crave attention, owning a sports franchise is a guaranteed way to get it.

Add in the fact that the Clippers are in LA, where the media focuses more on basketball than any other US City (because of the lack of an NFL franchise), and you get a bidding war among the wealthiest of the wealthy.

As for Sterling, he is already a billionaire. Getting another $2 billion does not come close to reaching the same level of satisfaction and notoriety that he received as the Clippers owner. While its hard to fathom, the massive financial windfall that he will receive from the sale of the team will not ease the pain of losing his team, and relegating him to just another old irrelevant rich guy.

Last edited:
Great post, Pilch.

Good luck to him proving that he has suffered any damages with the offer that's on the table...

Don't agree that the Clippers would have sold for $900 million under normal circumstances. There is a small limited number of sports franchises, and there are over 1600 billionaires. If you have stupid money (and Ballmer has over $20 billion) and time on your hands, owning a sports franchise is the easiest way to stay/become relevant and keep getting your ego stroked. Jerry Jones loves that millions of sports fans know who he is. 99.9% of those people who hate or love Jones would care less about Jerry Jones if he did not own the Cowboys. Being in the headlines and having millions love your team or hate your team (which most owners perceive as extension of themselves) is priceless. All franchise owners have more money than they could ever spend; so, if you crave attention, owning a sports franchise is a guaranteed way to get it.

Add in the fact that the Clippers are in LA, where the media focuses more on basketball than any other US City (because of the lack of an NFL franchise), and you get a bidding war among the wealthiest of the wealthy.

As for Sterling, he is already a billionaire. Getting another $2 billion does not come close to reaching the same level of satisfaction and notoriety that he received as the Clippers owner. While its hard to fathom, the massive financial windfall that he will receive from the sale of the team will not ease the pain of losing his team, and relegating him to just another old irrelevant rich guy.

The man has dementia. He probably thinks slaves stole his team. Having first hand knowledge of the way dementia works on the elderly, I can tell you they will say things that blow your mind. I'm not excusing the man but I think he was out of it a long time ago. He's never going to enjoy his billions. His family will be left to fight over it after he's in full time assisted living for his final years in diapers. I wouldn't wish that end game on anybody.

Back