• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

well said, Kareem (Donald Sterling discussion thread)

No, I am weighing the racism of one individual and the effects it has on our society against an individual committing a specific violent crime. And unless Sterling was the Grand Wizard, the violent crime is going to carry more weight every single time. No offense, but your second sentence may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board.

You should probably read up on the effects of discriminatory housing and hiring practices

The fact that you are assuming Zbo will do that indicates to me that OWGs already see the NBA as a thug league, and very little will ever change that.

Haha yeah, assuming that a guy with this criminal history will do something wrong is a mischaracterization.

High School: Did two separate 15-days stints in a juvenile detention center for possession of stolen property, including a gun that he eventually sold. Served 30 days of house arrest following a battery charge.

May 2002: Arrested for underage drinking.

April 2003: Punched Ruben Patterson in the face, causing "the Kobe stopper" to lose a large amount of blood. Was suspended for his involvement in the altercation.

December 2003: Arrested for driving without a license while also under the influence of marijuana.

December 2006: Two vehicles, both registered under his name, were pulled over by Portland Police for racing in a 20-mph speed zone.

December 2007: Sued for sexual assault after an incident with a stripper,.

April 2009: Arrested for driving under the influence.

May 2010: Randolph's friend was pulled over while driving a marijuana-filled car that was registered under Randolph's name. He was not in the car at the time and was thus not arrested, but police pulled the car over after receiving a tip that Randolph was involved in a drug ring.

2011: Allegedely orchestrated a beat/down robbery of a guy and was subsequently sued for $4 mil.

No, there is no reason for anyone to consider this guy a thug.

You serious? Didn't the Clippers lose 6 sponsors within a matter of hours? Fans, players talking boycott?

Uh yeah, I would take the position that victims of violent crimes are harmed much more than the "victims" of corporate sponsorship cancellations and boycotts of a sporting event. But maybe that is just me.

Haha yeah, assuming that a guy with this criminal history will do something wrong is a mischaracterization.

High School: Did two separate 15-days stints in a juvenile detention center for possession of stolen property, including a gun that he eventually sold. Served 30 days of house arrest following a battery charge.

May 2002: Arrested for underage drinking.

April 2003: Punched Ruben Patterson in the face, causing "the Kobe stopper" to lose a large amount of blood. Was suspended for his involvement in the altercation.

December 2003: Arrested for driving without a license while also under the influence of marijuana.

December 2006: Two vehicles, both registered under his name, were pulled over by Portland Police for racing in a 20-mph speed zone.

December 2007: Sued for sexual assault after an incident with a stripper,.

April 2009: Arrested for driving under the influence.

May 2010: Randolph's friend was pulled over while driving a marijuana-filled car that was registered under Randolph's name. He was not in the car at the time and was thus not arrested, but police pulled the car over after receiving a tip that Randolph was involved in a drug ring.

2011: Allegedely orchestrated a beat/down robbery of a guy and was subsequently sued for $4 mil.

No, there is no reason for anyone to consider this guy a thug.

Seems like Memphis has been good for him.

True, but the impact of your crusade against Zach Randolph is muted by your apparent respect for Jim Leyritz.

Not really. I can appreciate what Leyritz did on the field while also readily admitting that he is a complete douche off of it. Somebody trying to defend Zach Randolph's character just comes off looking like an idiot.

Not really. I can appreciate what Leyritz did on the field while also readily admitting that he is a complete douche off of it. Somebody trying to defend Zach Randolph's character just comes off looking like an idiot.

I wasn't just trying to defend his character. Just saying it's not a certainty that he will have another incident.

I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. ZBo is a stud on the court. And has been a complete douche off of it. I think most are cool with this characterization. As DF07 pointed out, though, he hasn't been a douche in awhile. I think most are cool with this characterization, as well.

I think there is also a larger general dynamic of capital vs. talent at play in the political polarizations around the issue. Randolph is talented. Not easily replaceable. Sterling is rich and easily replaced. We tend to have skewed view that wealth accumulation is directly related to talent. That's not always true.

leyritzcries.jpg

I think there is also a larger general dynamic of capital vs. talent at play in the political polarizations around the issue. Randolph is talented. Not easily replaceable. Sterling is rich and easily replaced. We tend to have skewed view that wealth accumulation is directly related to talent. That's not always true.

This is a great post.

According to this link, there are 492 US billionaires:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_the_number_of_US_dollar_billionaires

At any given time, there are about 450 players on NBA rosters.

Donald Sterling is more dispensable than an NBA player.

You should probably read up on the effects of discriminatory housing and hiring practices

Sterling is a criminal. Make no mistake. Hundreds of times over, and of a despicable, predatory nature. Is too bad it didn't result in more convictions, but he'd go head to head and win over just about any criminal offender in the history of the NBA.

This is a great post.

According to this link, there are 492 US billionaires:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_the_number_of_US_dollar_billionaires

At any given time, there are about 450 players on NBA rosters.

Donald Sterling is more dispensable than an NBA player.

Ownership can be and often is crowdsourced too. You can't take 3 Cody Zeller's and make one Zbo.

Not necessarily saying 2&2 is doing this, but there are often larger truths at play with criticisms of athlete compensation. Owner profits are never really given the same contempt.

Ownership can be and often is crowdsourced too. You can't take 3 Cody Zeller's and make one Zbo.

Not necessarily saying 2&2 is doing this, but there are often larger truths at play with criticisms of athlete compensation. Owner profits are never really given the same contempt.

Definitely. I was just using the basic stats to make the point. And if anybody wants to bring in the D-League or Euroleagues or whatever, there are plenty of billionaires outside the US and plenty of people worth $800M who make it to $1B someday.

Must say I'm a huge fan of Cody Zeller becoming a unit of measurement.

Sterling is a criminal. Make no mistake. Hundreds of times over, and of a despicable, predatory nature. Is too bad it didn't result in more convictions, but he'd go head to head and win over just about any criminal offender in the history of the NBA.

Dan Gilbert says hello.

Must say I'm a huge fan of Cody Zeller becoming a unit of measurement.

If he's a unit of measurement it should be like Yen where you need like 10,000 to get anything good.

Damn I still can't believe the Hornets drafted Cody Zeller. Wait, what were we talking about?

Back