• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman or Buzz?

Wellman or [Redacted]? You can only fire one this year.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wellman still has the ability to make a solid hire (see Clawson). [Redacted] cannot do any better than making Wake a bubble team, and that would be greatly overachieving for him.

Wellman if he (still?) believes Wake should avoid any player that may possibly be one/two & done (got to recruit the best players possible even if a couple may not stay long term). Also, Wellman if he (still?) believes that Wake should only try to be competitive and not necessarily win in football/basketball.

If neither of those are true, then I'll begrudgingly give Wellman a temporary pass for the atrocious athletic management over the last few years solely because it appears that he hired a great football coach.

---

I typed out the above to support a vote for [Redacted] but upon thinking about it, I just couldn't do it. Wellman has done too much harm to the basketball program, allowed football to lose all momentum for the ACC Championship, and generally has been an arrogant jerk to the fanbase. Figured I'd include my original post as I am slightly torn on Wellman since he's done a good job in the past but also has done a very poor job recently, except for hiring Clawson.

Wellman still has the ability to make a solid hire (see Clawson).

Yeah, but that doesn't excuse him for the last 4 years of lies, BS and talking down to donors and the fan base. Nor does it justify the huge salary he earns. He's done some fine things, but the salary and the last 4 years have been a huge drain on our AD. Time to move on. I'd rather the next guy make the hire...that would seem to be a big benefit to help attract a good candidate.

I'm still of the mindset that Wellman hired Bzz with the intention of "cleaning up the program" (whatever) and going back to 4-year players who would lead us to the tournament on up years and finish middle of the pack in conference in down years once we got the "right guys" in. Maybe someone would leave if he grew 5 inches here and turned into a great player in year 1-3, but we wouldn't actively pursue players whose goal was to make the NBA ASAP. I think Wellman believed we weren't attractive enough to reload continuously if we went after 1-and-done's and would rather make the tournament every other year with juniors and seniors leading us than two elite freshmen running the show.

Obviously, that never worked out. Bzz sucks and should never have been hired. Wellman runs the risk of being turned down by a great HC if he fires a guy after two or three bad seasons (I assume most disagree, but it's not that black-and-white). We all know Bzz is gone after this year and Wellman has the power to right the ship. I don't think it's too late for that, so I went with Bzz.

There is no verdict on the Clawson hire. Good hire? Yes. Promising? Yes. But he hasn't coached a single practice yet much less a season or five. The choice is obvious: Wellman. Because any new AD with balls (and support from administration) will come in and make the department his. If not, a new AD is just a stooge. Clawson is safe if there's a new AD in the next 18-24 months. Anyone else? Not so much.

Wellman.

Buzz didn't create this mess, Wellman did. Buzz sucks, but Wellman sucks more.

Wellman has to go. If he's here he'll make the hire and his mere presence may turn a lot of potential coaches off.

Anyone watching Iowa State-Kansas? Iowa State's tallest rotation guy is 6'7" and they find a way to make it work. Granted, they have more than one player that can hit a three.

Anyone watching Iowa State-Kansas? Iowa State's tallest rotation guy is 6'7" and they find a way to make it work. Granted, they have more than one player that can hit a three.
As soon as you post that, Embiid starts playing out of his mind. But that's probably the #1 pick in the draft, so I get your point.

As soon as you post that, Embiid starts playing out of his mind. But that's probably the #1 pick in the draft, so I get your point.

Embiid tore us up, too. He's extremely skilled considering he has such little experience playing basketball.

Back