• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman: results-driven seeding over crystal ball seeding (+ more Self drama?)

smallbigtall

jon gruden's haircut
Reaction score
Ronnie discusses his lean towards "rewarding" actual results in the seeding process, versus "projecting" a team's performance, specifically talking about the Embiid injury.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10590328/selection-committee-monitor-injury-joel-embiid-kansas-jayhawks

Funny, because he hasn't used actual results as a basis for his decisions since he fired Dino. Will be interesting to see how the committee seeds Kansas. Would love to see a little more drama between Bill Self and the Premiere before his (forced?) retirement, and this has some promise.

I really hope some coach out there gets pissed about being seeded incorrectly and just unloads on Wellman in an interview.

"WE'VE GOT WELLMAN GIVING KANSAS ONE SEEDS WHILE HE CAN'T EVEN HIRE A COACH WITH A WINNING SEASON."

Why didn't you reward actual results in your coaching search 4 years ago, Ron? I hope he is asked about [Redacted] and embarrassed incessantly this week. Fuck that asshat.

"Do you reward teams for what they have done in the season, or do you project what they are going to do?" Wellman said. "If you are projecting what they are going to do, then that injury of course takes on more importance. If you are rewarding them for what they have done in the season, then you just base your decisions, whether it be selection or seeding, upon what they have shown thus far in the season and their accomplishments this season. I think that is a discussion that we will have in the committee room."

Wellman is one of 10 members of the committee, and they all have an equal vote on each team. Where does Wellman stand on whether to reward Kansas or penalize the Jayhawks for not having Embiid?

"I am probably one personally that sides on the award side," Wellman said. "Is it good or is it appropriate to punish a team and the other 11 players on that team because someone is injured? I don't think you completely eliminate the facts that you have in front of you regarding an injury, but I tend to side personally, and I'm not speaking for the committee on this, but personally I would probably side on the award side of it."

lolz

Wellman obviously still is the smartest person in the room. Who would have thought to note and reward actual performance? Great idea, Ron. Now go hire Marshall or Shaka, who have both performed quite well (as opposed to bzz, whom you projected to perform well despite a history of losing, losing, losing...everywhere.)

You guys are reading this wrong. Obviously he is going to reward [Redacted] with a 5th season because you can't penalize him for having Green out the past two seasons and McClinton this season.

Wellman obviously still is the smartest person in the room. Who would have thought to note and reward actual performance? Great idea, Ron. Now go hire Marshall or Shaka, who have both performed quite well (as opposed to bzz, whom you projected to perform well despite a history of losing, losing, losing...everywhere.)

Except for at Air Force. I hear he got them to #11 in the nation... pretty good!

fc,220x200,royal_blue.u4.jpg

Back