• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman role on the selection committee

berneses

Reaction score
I think everyone would say it's clear that Buzz will be fired at the end of the year. I think Wellman's role as head of the selection committee will give him some great insights on some of the best young coaches in college hoops and hopefully he can make a Skip/Clawsonesque hire.

A small part of me wonders if Wellman hired Bz to tank our program while he was NCAA Tourney Chair. That way, he would never have to worry about conflict of interest accusations.

A small part of me wonders if Wellman hired Bz to tank our program while he was NCAA Tourney Chair. That way, he would never have to worry about conflict of interest accusations.

He's not too far from being that stupid.

You know who else might have "some great insights on some of the best young coaches in college hoops?" A search firm.

I was just thinking that too-- no conflict of interest for RW

A search firm is a waste of money. It's not hard to see who should be targeted for our job. I want every dime available to be used on the new coach not wasted on what we already know.

A search firm is a waste of money. It's not hard to see who should be targeted for our job. I want every dime available to be used on the new coach not wasted on what we already know.

It's a waste of money if you're confident the AD would make the right hire on his own.
Would a search firm have been a waste of money in April 2010?

Wellman served his first year on the selection committee and after the Final Four fired Dino and hired Bz less than a week later.

He learned nothing about what it takes to make the tournament from serving on that committee.

The last three years he served and decided Bz should come back.

He learned nothing.

Serving as chair isn't going to teach him anything.

I've often wondered if ol' Ronnie ever catches any flak or carefully placed digs from other coaches who know that a dumpster fire is burning at WF? I realize he is the chairman, and that affords him some degree of protection from a professional respect standpoint. But it would be interesting to know if he catches grief from some of the other coaches and committee members who know what a shitshow he has brought to WF basketball.

Ronnie doesn't need to spend money on a search committee. Duh! He just needs to read the new coach thread.

I've often wondered if ol' Ronnie ever catches any flak or carefully placed digs from other coaches who know that a dumpster fire is burning at WF? I realize he is the chairman, and that affords him some degree of protection from a professional respect standpoint. But it would be interesting to know if he catches grief from some of the other coaches and committee members who know what a shitshow he has brought to WF basketball.

It has to be awkward.

It has to be awkward.

Indeed. Everybody knows that Ron ceated a shit show in Wake basketball and then dissembled about it and kept it going. Hard to see how that translates into respect. If anything, the committee made him chair because there was little likelihood of Buzz making the tournament and creating a conflict of interest for his crony.

Last edited:
It has to be awkward.

Indeed. Everybody knows that Ron ceated a shit show in Wake basketball and then dissembled about it and kept it going. Hard to see how that translates into respect. If anything, the committee made him chair because there was little likelihood of Buzz making the tournament and creating a conflict of interest for his crony.

I wonder who breaks the ice, and if they can keep it together.

"So Ron,....how are things going at Wake?"

*room erupts*

This is how I picture it...

Last edited:
Back