• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Says Bz will be back

DC, your whole stance on this situation is....dumbfounding. You are completely ignoring context. The only way to warrant Dino's firing, is to conclude that Wake has a concrete standard of achievement (we don't) that has to be maintained. Not only has Bzz failed to maintain that standard, he has lowered that standard. It makes no fucking sense. This wasn't a Joe Pa situation, how can you justify Dino being fired for underachieving, when Wellman didn't have a demonstrably more capable replacement? If your SUV gets bad gas mileage, and all you have to replace it with is a dump truck, you keep driving the fucking SUV. Just because their were better vehicles on the lot doesn't mean you could afford them, and now your driving a fucking dump truck.

Last edited:
Rather interesting to describe Texas as a terrible team. IIRC they were the last undefeated team in the country and then completely fell apart after their first lost.

It would be akin to saying Cleveland State got a win over a terrible Wake Forest team. A bit of a stretch.

In hindsight, if Jeffrey "Fuck you, buddy" [Redacted] is the best coach we could have gotten in April 2010, I think letting Dino coach the disastrous 10-11 team sounds like a much better course than the one we're on.

Eh, we would have sucked huge donkey dick either way. There's very little chance Dino would have lasted past that year anyway.

Oh, to have gotten a coach that could have summoned the best out of Ari and JT, along with an elite big man for this year's class... Sigh.

Instead, he took his shot at Stevens and we missed, he missed on Tubby, and tried to hire "Brad Stevens light" in [Redacted].

Does anyone have any proof that Wellman actually took a shot at hiring Stevens or Tubby? I'm not trying to discredit what you said but just am really curious if this is a true statement or just a rumor??

DC, your whole stance on this situation is....dumbfounding. You are completely ignoring context. The only way to warrant Dino's firing, is to conclude that Wake has a concrete standard of achievement (we don't) that has to be maintained. Not only has Bzz failed to maintain that standard, he has lowered that standard. It makes no fucking sense. This wasn't a Joe Pa situation, how can you justify Dino being fired for underachieving, when Wellman didn't have a demonstrably more capable replacement? If your SUV gets bad gas mileage, and all you have to replace it with is a dump truck, you keep driving the fucking SUV. Just because their were better vehicles on the lot doesn't mean you could afford them, and now your driving a fucking dump truck.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong

Eh, we would have sucked huge donkey dick either way. There's very little chance Dino would have lasted past that year anyway.

Oh, to have gotten a coach that could have summoned the best out of Ari and JT, along with an elite big man for this year's class... Sigh.

Oh yeah I definitely don't think Dino would/could/should have lasted past last season. I just think it's a lot easier to sell yourself as a reasonable boss if you terminate a guy after a 8 win season and not after an appearance in the R32, even if it's the same guy and he's not a good coach.

Oh, heavens yes!

Ron Wellman's Wake Forest vision =

pleasantville.jpg

Ironically enough, Marc Blucas is in this movie.

There's nothing you'll believe, because all I have is hearsay. It would have been so much easier from a PR standpoint to go another year with Dino. We didn't.

Does anyone have any proof that Wellman actually took a shot at hiring Stevens or Tubby? I'm not trying to discredit what you said but just am really curious if this is a true statement or just a rumor??

Yes.

There's nothing you'll believe, because all I have is hearsay. It would have been so much easier from a PR standpoint to go another year with Dino. We didn't.

To be clear, I don't think Dino was a good coach, I just think we should have kept him until we had a better replacement, and we should have waited to make a move when was at a steady place.

To be clear, I don't think Dino was a good coach, I just think we should have kept him until we had a better replacement, and we should have waited to make a move when was at a steady place.

While that's a fair argument, I think Wellman did believe - and still believes, that even falling to [Redacted] would put us on better footing than Dino. I mean, I think he'd agree with your point. And honestly say we struggle early next year but close out the year with a winning record and maybe an ACC tourney and NIT win. Tack on a solid big man for the following year and in hindsight it wasn't the disaster it looks like right now.

But I'd put the odds of the above at about 5%, sadly. I'm becoming a serious pessimist.

You fire a dude that is 61-31 and went from not in the NCAA tournament to in the NCAA tournament to a win in the NCAA tournament in consecutive seasons; you damn well better have a good hire lined up and just needing a signature. Because if you don't then coaches just might look at the situation of you firing said head coach (with improving post season performances) and think that you are a loose cannon of an Athletic Director.

While that's a fair argument, I think Wellman did believe - and still believes, that even falling to [Redacted] would put us on better footing than Dino. I mean, I think he'd agree with your point. And honestly say we struggle early next year but close out the year with a winning record and maybe an ACC tourney and NIT win. Tack on a solid big man for the following year and in hindsight it wasn't the disaster it looks like right now.

But I'd put the odds of the above at about 5%, sadly. I'm becoming a serious pessimist.

Are we even seriously recruiting a big man for the 2013 class? I just keep seeing that we are going after swing players. Of course, I don't follow recruiting now as closely as I did a few years ago, so I easily could have missed that.

Back