• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman....

Wellman...

• Total voters

TBR

Reaction score
In light of the most recent e-mail sent out to Deacon Club members:

I don't want a divorce, I just want the man we started out with to come back.

First time I have crossed this particular line, but I'm now OUT. If you don't have brains enough to see what kind of damage Bz is doing to Wake Forest, you don't need to be in a position of authority any longer.

I've been supportive of him because he has done a lot (understatement right here) to improve our athletics programs and facilities. But, basketball is our flagship sport and it has been sunk. He needs to dig up some money and fire Buzz and let a real coach come in and get us back on track.

If he fires Buzz now and hires a competent, accomplished coach then all is forgiven. If he continues with the bullshit from the email, then WellmanOut.

All assuming the email is real. Not convinced it isn't a successful troll attempt. #onlyfoolshope

Last edited:
You should have added a Fucking Prick option. That email sent me over the edge on this whole situation.

RJ is WellmanOUT! :rock: This gives me hope that there may be enough momentum to actually make a change... I think I like being on your side RJ! Actually, I think I like your being on MY side. :thumbsup:

4-5 years ago, this guy was in consideration for the best Athletic Director in the country.

Now, despite all the great moves he's made, and all the improvements to our facilities, he's going to get himself run out of town based on one bad hire. I'd be willing to forgive him for it if he just cut ties now. No one's perfect.

This is why you don't hire your friends.

Email is very disappointing largely because it appears to minimize the reality of our situation. Leaders cannot minimize the pain and concern of their followers without giving the impression of not really caring.

However, it seems apparent that Ron has backed himself into a serious corner and, for whatever reason, thinks he must live or die with BZ.

It was a fun time DeacInVermont, I know it's hard, but you'll get through this. Things just aren't working, I love Jeff now. I'm not saying it's over forever but I have to see what happens with Jeff and I. I still expect full financial support from you and I'll be taking your nuts with me. TTYL-Ron

What is Wellman's age? 64-65ish? I'm beginning to wonder if he's just said to hell with it and expects to retire within the year and simply doesn't want to deal with the gravity of the situation.
In other words, in Ron's mind, he might plan to be gone before Buzz and will just leave this massive train wreck for someone else to salvage.

Regardless, he needs to be fired or given an opportunity to retire immediately. He has lost ALL touch with alumni and fans.

This. He is very good at a lot of AD things. And he is responsible for Jim Grobe being at Wake Forest today, which is among the biggest success stories in the history of our athletics program. He is just totally screwing the pooch with respect to [Redacted]. The hire was questionable from Day 1, but as important, since the hire, every single time he has spoken publicly about [Redacted], it has come across as phony and clueless. Just a complete failure on his part. If you had told the Wake Forest fanbase 4-5 years ago that we would be having this conversation about Wellman, the consensus response would have been one of complete shock.

I predicted shortly after it became extremely clear that Bz was done that Wellman and Bz would go out together. That's looking more and more likely. I can't see how anybody can have confidence in Wellman after the last few days.

I predicted shortly after it became extremely clear that Bz was done that Wellman and Bz would go out together. That's looking more and more likely. I can't see how anybody can have confidence in Wellman after the last few days.

Bizarrely, Hatch does. Probably because Natty O is the worst

Does Hatch have confidence in Wellman, or an apathy toward athletic success?
Is Hatch's primary goal.for the athletic dept to not be a major embarrassment (from an academic/moral perspective, not a winning/losing one)?

Back