• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We're No. 60, Yeah, Go Deacs!

Hmm.. the entry for Wake says we moved up 13 spots to 58th, but then we're ranked 60th. Nevertheless it's plain that no one should be "kissing the ring" for our AD.

Hmm.. the entry for Wake says we moved up 13 spots to 58th, but then we're ranked 60th. Nevertheless it's plain that no one should be "kissing the ring" for our AD.

It's not that clear but the 60 ranking may be based on the average for the years included in the comparison; while the improvement of 13 spots may be for just the last year.

In any event, everyone might note - especially Wellman and Hatch - that there are a number of academically elite private schools in front of us.

I think it refers to the Learfield rankings. We're 58th this year, up from 71st last, and our 5-year rolling avg. places us at 60th place among P5 schools. Or something like that.

Who gives a shot about this kind of ranking?
Exhibit A
42. Colorado
Trajectory: Up. Buffaloes are in the top 35 for the first time in the five-year period, thanks to distance runners and skiers

This is a 5 year average, if it were just of this year, we would be significantly higher. Taking into account the athletic program as a whole, there are very few schools that had a better year than Wake did this year, that is just a fact.

This seems like a good place to look at all the NCAA composite rankings from 2016-2017 year (at least those with which I am familiar - if there are others, please post them).

Capital One Cup: Wake Men #11 (#3 in the ACC behind UNC and Clemson), Wake Women NR. This one is interesting because they separate the men and women, which shows that the Wake men had a much more successful year than the women. The Wake women's team this past year with the most promise, in my opinion, was golf, but they were decimated by injuries and player departure. Kupcho still finished #2 in the country, which is impressive. One problem with this ranking is that they give equal points to FBS and FCS football results, which is why James Madison is so high. I think this ranking only rewards top 10 national finishes in most sports.

Massey Ratings: Wake finished #22 (#6 in the ACC, just beating Duke and Clemson). I think this is the most accurate rating for Wake because it only includes one sport (softball) in which Wake does not compete. It also doesn't count Field Hockey, which would have pushed Wake higher. This ranking also relies on power rankings for each sport, so it is very objective.

Learfield Director's Cup (formerly Sear's Cup); Wake finished #55. This is probably the most well-known college composite sports ranking and has the longest history. This includes 21 sports in which Wake does not compete - m/w water polo, skiing, m/w hockey, rifle, m/w swimming, wrestling, fencing, m/w bowling, m volleyball, m/w lacrosse, m volleyball, w beach volleyball, w rowing, m/w gymnastics, and softball - so it would be very difficult for Wake to finish top 10. However, it is informative to compare Wake's finish in this to previous years (the last 5 years we were 68, 90, 70, 98, 92).

Yahoo ranking (in the original post): As stated by GPDeac, this is supposed to be a 5 year average of the Learfield rankings, but it states that Wake was 58 this year when we were actually 55, so I'm not sure what to make of this one.

Last edited:
Rafi, Wake was at 58 prior to the end of men's baseball. Apparently the diamond Deacs scored enough points to move our overall standing from 58 to 55.

Rafi, Wake was at 58 prior to the end of men's baseball. Apparently the diamond Deacs scored enough points to move our overall standing from 58 to 55.

Makes sense, and that's probably the best explanation. It does make one wonder if Yahoo used the final rankings to determine their 5 year average. Hopefully they did - they do state that Wake moved up 13 spots, and since we were 68 last year it seems they might have used 55 this year.

Back