• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'We're Really Screwed Now': NSA's Best Friend Just Shivved The Spies

I don't give a shit that we're spying on those shifty fucks. I give a shit that we were caught.

I think it is pretty apparent at this point that Snowden was more about Snowden that about being a patriot.

That's fucking ridiculous...even for you.

Very good article. So how long before things start to get reigned in? The drone program in particular cannot just go on indefinitely.

Apparently it can. Who is going to stop the US from droning poor-ass farmers in unstable countries? Yemen isn't going to stop us. Pakistan isn't going to stop us. Any country that doesn't have a functioning anti-aircraft net is fair game.

The only two things I see that could make the US stop the droning are:
1. Enough of our allies get mad about it that they put big pressure on us diplomatically to stop. This isn't going to happen because they love the fact that we're doing the dirty work for them, so they can keep their hands clean and keep underfunding their militaries and spending the money on their domestic programs.
2. Enough US citizens get mad about it that Congress puts a stop to it. Right now we're not even close to that. Most Americans don't GAS, and of the ones that do, 50% are perfectly happy to have the US droning Abu to paradise, and most of the rest are willing to ignore it as long as not too many dead children show up on TV. The only way I see that changing is if there happens to be a TV camera around when a drone blows up a kindergarten. The fact that we're operating in countries without TV and kindergartens makes that unlikely.

If a mass shooting in a US elementary school didn't move the needle on gun control, a drone strike on a madrassa in a Muslim country isn't going to move the needle on drones.

If a mass shooting in a US elementary school didn't move the needle on gun control, a drone strike on a madrassa in a Muslim country isn't going to move the needle on drones.

you are probably right for this particular example. Publicity of misdeeds can change political calculations, though. The exposure of the Abu Ghraib atrocities caused some heads to roll and moved the needle to some extent on the Iraq war. Publicity of US war crimes in Vietnam certainly moved the needle on that war. It's usually not one incident but a gradual buildup over time until a breaking point is reached. As I said though I don't see that breaking point anywhere on the horizon.

Back