• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

western NC day hikes

siff

Scott "Rufio" Feather
Reaction score
Any advice for a family hike in western NC? Can't be too difficult, scenery is a priority. Linville is an option, probably where we're leaning. Any advice?

Linville Falls is nice.

How old are the kids?

Some Suggestions:

- Chimney Rock - can take an elevator or hike to the top for a great view. The hike is decently taxing and gets narrow in places. If you take the elevator and want a good hike - the hickory nut falls trail is a very easy trail to a high , although not voluminous, waterfall. Several other hikes in the area. if you have younger kids, there's a one mile nature hike at the base of the mountain that has a lot of fun, stop and learn things to do.

- Graveyard fields is a really nice day hike - two decent sized waterfalls. The trail is predominantly in the valley, but the falls are great- trail head is off the Blue ridge parkway, so you'll have plenty of views there.

- Black Balsam - a little more elevation gain that the other two - goes over Black Balsam (>6000 ft) great view. If y'all are decently in shape - you can continue on through Ivestor Gap up to Shining Rock which is a great view. Probably a little too far to get to Cold Mountain, but that's a possibility if you hoof it.

Looking Glass Falls - near Brevard, not so much for views, but the falls are cool.

Table Rock/Hawksbill - some good day hiking here with some good views

Thanks for the advice, ITB. A couple of 14 years olds, me, and my wife. It's less the fact that they potentially can't handle a more difficult hike than it is I don't want to hear their whining and bitching. ;)

Thanks again!

Yeah I would recommend Linville Gorge area. Beautiful

Linville Falls Park on the Blue Ridge Parkway is the most view of absolutely beautiful things for the vertical feet, no doubt. I also love Julian Price Park a little farther north (at Blowing Rock). There is a great trail about 3 miles one way to a fire tower from which you can see all over if visibility is good. There are horses allowed on that trail, though, so you do have to avoid you know what. If you prefer to go to the Highlands/ Cashiers/Brevard area, go the High Hampton. There are two or three easy trails there with spectacular views too.

We live in the area and Linville Falls Park sounds like your best bet given your situation.

Thanks for the advice, ITB. A couple of 14 years olds, me, and my wife. It's less the fact that they potentially can't handle a more difficult hike than it is I don't want to hear their whining and bitching. ;)

Thanks again!

So it doesn't stop when they're teens? Damn.

try elk falls easy hike and nice drive to the middle of nowhere.. good spot to fish to

4902583556_2eceec927a_z.jpg

Rough Ridge is a nice hike right on the Parkway. Also Crabtree Falls is great. BUt i will agree that Linville Falls and anything in the Linville Gorge is a solid decision.

Back