• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wet basement suggestions

Can you tell where it's coming in? Is it running down a wall or coming up through the floor? Has the surrounding area had a waterproof coating or porridge applied? On the outside of the house, what is the ground surface around the house - patio grass, etc.?

I had the same problem in two houses. In the house that I am in now I had some landscaping done so that the water would move away from the house. That helped a lot. If you can't landscape the problem French drains might work. In another older house I had a sump pump. It did a good job of keeping the downstairs dry.

Can you tell where it's coming in? Is it running down a wall or coming up through the floor? Has the surrounding area had a waterproof coating or porridge applied? On the outside of the house, what is the ground surface around the house - patio grass, etc.?

It's running down a wall. No coating as far as I know. Around this part of the house where it is coming in is grass/dirt.

Spencer's suggestion may be the easiest...get that area around the house landscaped so the water runs away from the house. Porridging the walls (you can do it yourself but the fumes will suck) is probably a good idea too. And clean the gutters for good measure.

I may have spoken too soon. After long "dry" spell water in the basement to the point that you step on the carpet and water pools around the footprint. Our contractor isn't calling me back.

Any Atlanta Marietta Deacs have a handyman contractor req?

Just found fluffy white mold growing out of my basement carpet. Any suggestions on what to do or who to call in Winston-Salem? I might start by cutting up part of the carpet.

Back