• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

Let’s hold off on crucifying these kids until they make decisions. I have no problem with them looking around given the circumstances.

I’m not saying message board chatter is going to sway their decision, but calling them losers and saying good riddance can’t be beneficial.

Honestly, a loss of, what, 85% or more of the team seems like fitting end to Manning's tenure.
He finishes having graduated exactly TWO human beings that came to play for him.

Dismissals. Transfers. A player getting stabbed. A dead guy in NYC.

What fine legacy.

Honestly, a loss of, what, 85% or more of the team seems like fitting end to Manning's tenure.
He finishes having graduated exactly TWO human beings that came to play for him.

Dismissals. Transfers. A player getting stabbed. A dead guy in NYC.

What fine legacy.

The [Redacted] Era looks stable by comparison

I remember when it was pitched as a team-saving coup that we able to keep the vaunted Terrell/Tab/McKie/Desrosiers/Chennault class together. Let’s not lose too much sleep about anyone who transfers or de-commits.

Last edited:
Clearly some of these players really liked DFL. Give them some time and space to figure things out. Very predictable.

Sometimes I marvel that they put in all this academic work and then don’t want to finish it by having a degree from Wake Forest. Maybe that’s just the dad and former student in me.

Clearly some of these players really liked DFL. Give them some time and space to figure things out. Very predictable.
Sure, but the two best players we had have effectively slammed the door shut.

But, yes, those that want to come back, I hope do. But I wouldn't count on it.

If I'm Sarr or Chaundee and I can get a waiver to play right away next year on a team that has a legit chance to make a run in the NCAA Tourney, I do it in a heartbeat.

Playing for Forbes for one season is not going to be a fun experience. There are going to be a lot of changes. The practices are going to be tough. They will lose a lot of games. The younger guys will have the potential payoff of being part of the group that turns things around... But if you only have one season left, why not go to Kentucky or somewhere like that?

I'm psyched for Forbes... But if you committed to Manning (and played for him for 3 years) and then his polar opposite shows up for your last year? It's easy to say "no thanks" and move on, especially if you have options.

Just have to wonder what kind of Kool-aid DM was feeding these kids. Maybe it's the 'that's life' view of losing.

The rest of us see this as the first sign of hope in a decade yet these kids see Wake as a sinking ship without DM.

Stockholm Syndrome

Well I guess our new coaching staff better get out there and find our own transfers.

Yeah like having Chaundee play too soon on a bad foot that lingered most of the season. That should be a warm and fuzzy feeling for Chaundee and the Brown family.

Yep.
If they really want to play in the Dance, go.
Sure it sucks for us in the short term, but go.
For those of you too soft to like the "GTFO" attitude, look at Chaundee and Saar like Jamie Newman. They just want their last shot at to be a shot at a championship.
It's okay to go, but remember, you'll be remembered by how you left.

LOL at the sky is falling crowd after a few players leave, better to get them out now so Forbes can rebuild his roster.

If ever there was a year to potentially not have a college basketball season, this is that year. Another thing in our favor! Wake’s fortunes are turning!

LOL at the sky is falling crowd after a few players leave, better to get them out now so Forbes can rebuild his roster.
Right? And Forbes isn't just contacting current Wake players today. I'd guess he and his staff already are working on players in the portal from other schools who could play right away next year and help the team. The portal works both ways.

I don't think anyone sees the sky falling. I think most people would like to see what Forbes could do with a full returning roster, but it is what it is. Manning was toxic and that will carry over with many players. I would rather everyone leave than have a player stick around who wasn't bought in with Forbes.

I hate it for the players and I'm sure they have some negative impressions of the Wake community. On the flip side if you want to play sports at a high level it comes with the territory. Hopefully they will get some clarity, whether here or somewhere else.

With the one year transfer rule likely not going into effect until 2021, if will be much tougher for Forbes to field a competitive roster this season. Most of the time, waivers for immediate play after transfer are restricted to family issues or when transfer players coaches get fired but when you are the only one firing your coach, it puts you behind the 8 ball. It had to be done regardless IMO but if what I am hearing is accurate, we could well be down to 3 scholarship players in the next week. My point is that this could well be at least a 3 year rebuild and I hope everyone gives Forbes the grace period he will need to get us back to a competitive nature by year 3. I would not sell him short however, and he will bring us back

Right? And Forbes isn't just contacting current Wake players today. I'd guess he and his staff already are working on players in the portal from other schools who could play right away next year and help the team. The portal works both ways.

Aren't the best players in the portal Wake players ?

Back