• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

Brandon was definitely a me/us vs The World type.

Brandon isn’t so much an “us vs them” kid as he is a “me vs the world” kid.

His saltiness is his own, it’s internal. He knows people assume he played at Wake because of his dad’s legacy and because his dad was a coach. This created the huge chip on his shoulder. He set out to disprove everyone, every game. He feels personally disrespected, and he feels his dad has been disrespected as well. He doesn’t have an allegiance to Manning, but because his dad was on Manning’s staff, he sees it as his dad being criticized as well.

The kid went through some stuff while he was here, not just on the court, that affected his attitude. Brandon is a good person. Maybe he wasn’t the best PG in Wake history, but he bleeds black and gold. You will not find two people more loyal to their alma mater than Brandon and Randolph.

Fair. That's fucking bleak and I hope that Currie gives him a cushy landing spot in the AD if Forbes decides to go with somebody else.

Randolph would regularly give advice to Manning on the bench (at least early on) and Manning would ignore it. I witnessed it firsthand on many occasions. After a while I could Randolph just quit trying, as did the other coaches. Look at other team's benches, especially Virginia or Duke: they have constant dialogue with each other during the game. Good coaches welcome a multiplicity of counselors because they realize their weaknesses.

At Duke last year when we were down 1 (or 2? can't remember) after Duke gave us the ball because White stepped over the baseline, we had one TO left. The obvious call was to use that TO, and Randolph walks over to Manning and motions, "Timeout?". Manning curtly shakes his head, and the rest was history. Childress took a fadeaway 30 footer and Chaundee (through sheer athleticism) attempted his putback (that wouldn't have counted). A crushing way to end what would've been a historic victory at Cameron.

Take that as a microcosm of the past 6 years.

For a guy like Randolph (and Nestor, etc) that type of top-down culture is deflating and discouraging to the point where no one even cares anymore. Why should you speak up if it won't be implemented? It carries over to the players, too. (and fans inherit the apathy as well, as we've seen).

Fair. That's fucking bleak and I hope that Currie gives him a cushy landing spot in the AD if Forbes decides to go with somebody else.

I do, too. Or helps him get an assistant coach gig that helps his career.

I don’t know if he wants to leave WS. He remarried so he might want to get out of coaching, it’s a hard life.

Sorry, but RC needs to get off the bench. He rarely did any coaching on the bench and his hero ball is exactly opposite of Forbes 5 out, move the ball philosophy.

In our offensive sets last year, our guards dribbled, dribbled, dribbled, dribbled, dribbled, dribbled, dribbled, dribbled and then came over a ball screen 5 feet above the 3 point line, followed by some forced shot. If there was a # of dribbles stat per possession, we would have led the NCAA. Dribbling around isn't keeping the ball moving.

Randolph would regularly give advice to Manning on the bench (at least early on) and Manning would ignore it. I witnessed it firsthand on many occasions. After a while I could Randolph just quit trying, as did the other coaches. Look at other team's benches, especially Virginia or Duke: they have constant dialogue with each other during the game. Good coaches welcome a multiplicity of counselors because they realize their weaknesses.

At Duke last year when we were down 1 (or 2? can't remember) after Duke gave us the ball because White stepped over the baseline, we had one TO left. The obvious call was to use that TO, and Randolph walks over to Manning and motions, "Timeout?". Manning curtly shakes his head, and the rest was history. Childress took a fadeaway 30 footer and Chaundee (through sheer athleticism) attempted his putback (that wouldn't have counted). A crushing way to end what would've been a historic victory at Cameron.

Take that as a microcosm of the past 6 years.

For a guy like Randolph (and Nestor, etc) that type of top-down culture is deflating and discouraging to the point where no one even cares anymore. Why should you speak up if it won't be implemented? It carries over to the players, too. (and fans inherit the apathy as well, as we've seen).

If Forbes offered him the position, I would like to see him coach with him. It would be interesting.

Given the information in the last few posts, one has to wonder if Manning was told he had to promote Childress to Associate Head Coach.

Or...Chill was never on board with the us vs them mentality and they know it? Maybe they never pledged allegiance to Chill like they did Manning?

I just cannot fathom Chill participating or perpetuating that kind of attitude. That’s not who he is.

And yet he sat on the bench next to Jeff [name redacted] and Danny Manning. How do you reconcile that fact with your perspective on who he is?

I don't know Chill personally, but from what I've seen in public, he is Old Gold and Black to the core. He wants what is best for Wake. He is also a Dad. Dads will do a lot and put up with a lot for the sake of their kids. I don't think what we are hearing about really happened under Bz. He was simply unable to communicate effectively with the college students playing for him.

The stuff coming out now seems more like it may have developed in the last few years, when the coaching staff was Kansas guys plus Chill. By that time, Chill may have been in the mode of doing what he could and putting up with whatever he had to for the sake of his kid and Wake.

As far as I am concerned, Sarr is the only one from this past season I don't blame for wanting to leave. He's a senior with a real shot at the NBA. Let him pick his destination (or stay).

The others can leave for all I care. This team has been a shitshow for years. If they were any good at basketball, DM would still be our coach.

I think you're undervaluing the importance of coaching...

Given the information in the last few posts, one has to wonder if Manning was told he had to promote Childress to Associate Head Coach.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. I don't think it was a coincidence that Childress was our only coach not affiliated with KU, besides Nestor who we all but know was forced on Manning.

Brandon isn’t so much an “us vs them” kid as he is a “me vs the world” kid.

His saltiness is his own, it’s internal. He knows people assume he played at Wake because of his dad’s legacy and because his dad was a coach. This created the huge chip on his shoulder. He set out to disprove everyone, every game. He feels personally disrespected, and he feels his dad has been disrespected as well. He doesn’t have an allegiance to Manning, but because his dad was on Manning’s staff, he sees it as his dad being criticized as well.

The kid went through some stuff while he was here, not just on the court, that affected his attitude. Brandon is a good person. Maybe he wasn’t the best PG in Wake history, but he bleeds black and gold. You will not find two people more loyal to their alma mater than Brandon and Randolph.

BC just tried to do too,u h at times. He was a solid player, and would have been a great catalyst as more of a 3rd guard on a better team. Not his fault. I’ve never heard anything negative about coach randolph. The guy is a winner and he looked to be in pain sitting on the bench with no emotion DM

There are rumblings that Chill has expressed a lot of frustration and anger at Currie and the situation in general. Take that for what you will. If Chill is serious about coaching, he needs to go out and find a job somewhere else. If not, I’m sure they will find him a job in fundraising or something like that.

There are rumblings that Chill has expressed a lot of frustration and anger at Currie and the situation in general. Take that for what you will. If Chill is serious about coaching, he needs to go out and find a job somewhere else. If not, I’m sure they will find him a job in fundraising or something like that.

i mean i get most folks are idiots but are we living in crazy town?
how can anyone be pleased with the basketball program for the last decade? currie tries to change that and people get upset. anyone getting upset was part of the problem. period

What does that even mean, BabyDeac? What could he possibly be angry about?

Frustration with Currie and the process? Or he had expressed frustration to Currie about the previous years? Jesus, we don't need to be held hostage.

Back