• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Basketball Transfers (In & Out): Jalen Johnson (UT) IN !!!!!!!!!

I think Chill got a bad beat. You get told to walk the line through two horrid coaching runs, the entire time likely promoting plenty of good ideas that got ignored, hoping to get a shot at head coach on the back end. I'm sure Wellman valued that, and I'm betting Currie does not. Loyalty to Wake is obviously appreciated - I'm guessing there's a position for him forever if he wants it even if it's not as a coach. But you could see Childress stewing on the sideline, game after game, frown upon frown, quietly losing time and again. An atmosphere that might reward that patience has been reversed in a matter of days, and I'm sure that sucks. There's a good chance that he was in a no-win situation - buck against Manning and it does no good while maybe getting your kid benched, sit tight and suck and you get no shot at head coach if Wellman is ousted.

The move is to go elsewhere and coach away from the bubble of Wake Forest. Hopefully Currie and/or Manning could help facilitate that. I can't see how an immediate future on or off the bench at Wake, barring a decision to just get out of coaching because it's not his thing, works out. Just more fallout from Manning.

My guess is that he didn't seriously get considered for the head job.

Chill is probably just plain angry at everything right now.

He got caught between two worlds of AD’s and it stinks for him. Eventually, time heels all wounds....if there are any.

I've been ambivalent about Chill being on the bench, but this is probably enough evidence for me to say that he shouldn't be there with Forbes. If Chill is essentially pining away until he gets his shot and actually running things counter to how the Head Coach wants it, he is effectively undermining the program.

Unless he can show that he wants to learn from Forbes and willing to play by his rules, Chill may not be a useful part of the team.

Chill may have been undermining the (shitty) coach while not undermining the program.

At this point I don't think we really know who chill is as a coach. Manning is... WAS F YEAH!, an insufferable arrogant jack ass. Having said that he might be happier elsewhere. Wake owes him a big hazard pay bonus for being the human shield and dealing with manning.

Chill is probably just plain angry at everything right now.

He got caught between two worlds of AD’s and it stinks for him. Eventually, time heels all wounds....if there are any.

On the other hand, in any normal situation, he’d have been out with [Redacted], but got paid for 6 more years and got to coach his kid. I think it’s time for all new voices in Wake basketball.

There are rumblings that Chill has expressed a lot of frustration and anger at Currie and the situation in general. Take that for what you will. If Chill is serious about coaching, he needs to go out and find a job somewhere else. If not, I’m sure they will find him a job in fundraising or something like that.

I agree with this 100%. If Chill really wants to be a head coach one day he needs to go to a successful staff and learn from one of the best. Then look to come back if the opportunity presents itself.

The toxic nature of this program came to the surface during and following the 2017-18 season. The season started by losing 4 of the first 5 games, all at home against inferior competition. Wellman then made the announcement that Manning had signed an extension. Eight players with eligibility remaining left the program during 2018. Those are solid indicators there are major problems beside the crappy coaching we had all come to expect.

It's well past time to clean house. If Randolph has any animosity or resentment toward the university or the new leadership he needs to find employment elsewhere. Same for the players.

Posted this on the asst coaches thread, but I'll add it here too. Forbes was about Childress' age when he was fired as part of Bruce Pearl's staff at Tennessee. Forbes went and got the head coach job at Northwest Florida State College in Niceville, FL. He stayed there for two years. Seven years later, he got an ACC head coaching job. No reason Childress couldn't do the exact same thing.

I wonder if the reason Chil is mad is due to the fact that Currie didn’t make it a requirement for Forbes to have him on staff. If that is the reason, then Chil is out of place. He needs to earn the job in his interview and prove to Forbes that he’s worth keeping. Just speculating

I doubt Chill is pissed about not being forced on the new head coach’s staff. It’s got to be that he feels he wasn’t given serious consideration for the head job.

I doubt Chill is pissed about not being forced on the new head coach’s staff. It’s got to be that he feels he wasn’t given serious consideration for the head job.

Is he nuts? The only place he’s ever coached at was Wake, and he’s learned under Jeff [Redacted] and Danny Manning. He’s never been a head coach in his life. This isn’t high school basketball. This is P6, best league in the country basketball. To think he had a shot at being the head coach is inane.

I hear you. RC is my favorite deac but he hasn’t earned any consideration to be our head coach. It just makes more sense to me that his ego tells him he could do it (HC), not that he needs to be forced on another coach. I’m just guessing.

Is he nuts? The only place he’s ever coached at was Wake, and he’s learned under Jeff [Redacted] and Danny Manning. He’s never been a head coach in his life. This isn’t high school basketball. This is P6, best league in the country basketball. To think he had a shot at being the head coach is inane.

sometimes the traits that make you great at sports when you are 20,21,22 years old and have supreme confidence in yourself don't always translate into reality when you are an adult. Childress probably does feel like he is the best person for the job, even though the rest of us hear that and think wut??

I don’t think it’s terribly fair to Childress to take rumors of him being upset and then concocting all sorts of motivations for him to be so. It would be different if he publicly aired some grievances but he hasn’t done that. This stuff just has a tendency to take on a life of its own on here.

If Forbes wants Chill on the staff then that’s up to him. If he doesn’t then wish him well in whatever Chill does next. Some of these rumors getting spun out of nothing on here could hurt him getting his next job if they start spreading beyond this board and that’s not fair to him.

Sorry if this had already been posted on here, haven't had the chance to go back and read all the posts since Forbes hiring. Thought this was interesting though....

Shortly after Manning's departure, Wildcat fans began flooding Sarr's social media pages in an attempt to woo him to Lexington.

"I've never experienced anything like that; it was crazy," he said. "It was funny and all that, but it got to a point where it was a little bit too much. Some Wake fans replied. I loved the loyalty from the Deacon fans. I love them, I appreciate what they did for me for three years. But Kentucky fans are really eager and thirsty for players."

Convince your teammates Zeke!

You are a Deac4ever!!!

Great news! Look forward to seeing Zeke in action next season as a Deac...

GO DEACS!

Great to hear Mucius is coming back! I'm thinking Massoud might be the next domino to fall. He's been liking some of the Instagram posts with Forbes including the last video posted.

If we can get Massoud, Neath and Sarr to comeback, we'll be better than last year.

Back