• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Hoop Alumni (Past 30 Years) Best 2-on-2 Teams (Unofficial)

The difference is Duncan. He is one of the very best to ever play the game...

We actually have two players that meet that description, even if one of them sometimes isn't thought of in that particular light. There are (reasonable) arguments to be made for Chris as the second best player of his generation and top 10-15 all-time.

Or to change the premise, what other schools can produce a 2-v-2 team that would hang with prime Duncan/Chris? Hint: there aren't many...

Last edited:
Currie should get the J-Gray hang it ceremony into consideration, merely based on the mask game, which is the 1-time I seriously thought I was going to need to go to the doctor to check my pre-game blood pressure.

I am passionate, but that was some visceral shit that night. We had to win after that typical Duke bullshit.

It's past 30 years, but I did not realize what a solid 1-2 punch Delaney Rudd and Kenny Green were in 84-85.

I was thinking Frank Johnson or Danny Young plus Alvis Rogers or Teachey but a quick search and Rudd/Green were prolific.

Also, Packer/Chappell - damn. Len Chappell averaged 30 and 15. Almost like the 1 guy "better than Duncan" at Wake.

LOL. Slight edge to the two guys with over a decade in the NBA. Hilarious.

No offense, but those rankings are nonsense. The recency bias is off the charts. Here are better rankings:

1. Duncan & Childress
2. Songaila & Howard
3. Johnson & Teague
4. Williams & Paul
5. Rogers & LaRue
6. Collins & Crawford
7. Aminu & Smith
8. LaRavia & Williams

Danielius & Gray isn't that far behind. JGray probably had the best career of anyone whose jersey isn't in the rafters. Vytas was second team all-ACC as a sophomore.

Screw it. I'm putting them ahead of LaRavia & Williams. If they lead this team to the NCAAT, they can have that 8 spot.

I should have paired Rogers with Tucker and put them at #2. Or bent the rules and paired him with Gray (I do feel badly leaving Gray out of this) and also putting that team at #2.

Vytas had a very good sophomore year. But he declined after that - and in his peak year, he averaged 12.3 PPG, 7.5 reb, 1 assist. Jake is currently averaging 15.1/6.0/3.2.

CP3 is one of the all-time greats but I think ManMan bullies 19-year-old Chris Paul. I think he also bullies Gray.

Of course ManMan and Jake have to continue to produce against an ACC schedule or this is wildly inaccurate and borderline irresponsible but that is what happens on message boards.

I love ManMan but I don’t think of his game as supremely bullying. At least not the kind of bullying you’d need to beat a young tough CP3 who took nothing from no one.

Also weird to mention bullying and not consider that Big E would be dominant in 2 on 2. Lavaria’s got nothing for him.

To be clear, CP3 is at worst the third-best player in this tournament. But I think Jake (and others) score against EWill

I'd take CP3 and Duncan against any other school's best 2

I’m shocked at some of the CP, JGray, Big E doubt. CP is one of the greatest PGs of all time. He didn’t get “bullied” by anyone. JGray also didn’t get “bullied.” He could be streaky, but he came in as a freshman with the swagger that can prob only be matched by Chill (which I didn’t personally witness). And Big E is really not getting his flowers here. When he shed the weight and learned to go straight to the hoop, he was unstoppable. And they played against far, far better competition. I’m super high on our new guys, but give respect where it’s due.

Freshmen year CP definitely got bullied by Jameer Nelson when st joes beat us in 2004 tourney.

Jordan and walk on….if started with ball it would be over

Iverson Ewing is intriguing

Gray and Williams were only great on one end of the court though. Gray had a memorable defensive game against JJ once, but overall was not good defensively.

Paul was incredible. I think his game as a sophomore would be stellar in 2 on 2. I think his game was better suited for 5-5, but I have no way to prove that. He had just great court vision and elevated the play of his teammates to a degree I do not think could be matched in 2 on 2.

We actually have two players that meet that description, even if one of them sometimes isn't thought of in that particular light. There are (reasonable) arguments to be made for Chris as the second best player of his generation and top 10-15 all-time.

Or to change the premise, what other schools can produce a 2-v-2 team that would hang with prime Duncan/Chris? Hint: there aren't many...

When you pair TD and CP3 who change the context from players that played together to the best two players that played at a school. Iverson and Ewing have been mentioned. Shaq and Maravich. Jordan and (choose one of many). The combos that Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA etc. could put together. TD and CP3 are formidable, but there are a lot more than you realize.

Pair Gray with Visser. Might not win but Gray is included and both were overshadowed during their careers.

When you pair TD and CP3 who change the context from players that played together to the best two players that played at a school. Iverson and Ewing have been mentioned. Shaq and Maravich. Jordan and (choose one of many). The combos that Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA etc. could put together. TD and CP3 are formidable, but there are a lot more than you realize.

Blue bloods
UCLA: Kareem + Reggie Miller/Bill Walton/Westbrook/Love
Kansas: Wilt + Paul Pierce (probably)
UNC: Jordan + Worthy/Vince
Kentucky: Dan Issel + Anthony Davis maybe?
Duke: uh... Grant Hill + Kyrie or Elton Brand maybe? - they have by far the least top line talent

Other fun pairs
Houston: Hakeem + Drexler (or Elvin Hayes maybe) - this might be the best pairing
LSU: Shaq + Pistol Pete
Michigan State: Magic + Draymond - this would be fun
Cincinnati: Oscar + Kenyon Martin
Texas: Durant + Lamarcus Aldridge
Georgetown: Ewing + Iverson

Other notable ACC pairs
Georgia Tech: some combination of Anderson/Marbury/Bosh
NC State: Thompson + I have absolutely no idea
Notre Dame: Dantley + Carr
Syracuse: Carmelo + Derrick Coleman (or Dave Bing?)
Virginia: Sampson + Malcolm Brogdon?

I'd put Chris/Tim over most of those teams. Houston/Kansas/LSU/Mich St/UCLA/UNC look to be the other big challengers to me.

Indiana State: Bird + LaRavia

Back